The Student Room Group

Presentations and drinking

Scroll to see replies

I feel you bro... I have 4 coming up!!!! Like did my lecturers at the beginning of the year say 'Lets kill this guy'
Original post by College_Dropout
Okay, so I have a few presentations coming up at university. I'm absolutely **** at presentation, when I say im ****, I mean i'm actually ****. Thinking of dropping a few shots before to help loosen me up, anyone done this before?

Yes, for most people alcohol will take effect within 30 minutes and the effect will last at least few hours (depending on how much you drink), so suggest you drink at least an hour before your pres (so can see how you feel in hlf and hour and decide if you need more)

usually I just down enough shots of vodka (no mixer) until i feel noticeably less inhibited.
i had a beer the night before of my one, last friday. Worked a treat.
Original post by Captain Jack
Don't drink or take anything for your presentations.

It is perfectly natural to be terrified of presenting!

The way to combat those nerves is to throw yourself into it and not worry about what anyone thinks. In fact, most people are very kind about nervous presenters.

You can start your presentation off with "Sorry, I am a nervous presenter but I will do my best so bear with me..."

Afterwards, you will feel amazing for trying.

I used to be very nervous about presenting to the point I sweated and could barely speak. It was only at work I combated this head on and made myself practice.

The only way to get better is to dive in and throw yourself at it. It will be scary and nervewracking, but the more you do it, the easier it gets :smile:

What is your presentation preparation routine? Do you present it in your room first as a practice? Do you ever present to a friend for their feedback?

And that's a promise.

I dont have a routine, except for just reading through my notes. I've just sort of accepted that im absolutely awful at presentations. I know i need to practice to get better and im planning to do so heavily for the next one for a change, but im just generally a bad speaker.
Thanks for the tips!
Original post by preetg97
I doubt they'd give you Beta Blockers because it's not a long-term problem, and it doesn't sound like you have severe anxiety so they wouldn't give you Diazepam (especially because that **** addictive lol).

I wouldn't recommend having a drink tbh, try deep breathing before you go in to do them instead? It's usually the beginning that's the worst, you'll naturally loosen up during it anyway. Good luck though :smile:

Original post by doodle_333
are you going to keep doing this every time you have a presentation at work as well? Just man up and practice the skills you will need going forwards

Yes, didn't you know every manager has a bottle of Vodka at the bottom of him or hers desk?
Original post by urbanlocations
I feel you bro... I have 4 coming up!!!! Like did my lecturers at the beginning of the year say 'Lets kill this guy'

Looooool
Original post by Jenx301
- they might smell it on you
- If you drink enough for it to make a difference then people might notice it in your behaviour and voice etc

It's really not that deep. For example I could be high asf and I promise you would never notice.
Original post by Lemon Haze
It's really not that deep. For example I could be high asf and I promise you would never notice.

People are different. If I was really high you would notice, if i was drunk you would notice etc
I've been thinking of doing this... but I don't know how well it will go when actually presenting the presentation if say, I drank a hour or two before the actual thing.. :unsure:

I need more confidence.. :angry:
Original post by Lovinlife2
I've been thinking of doing this... but I don't know how well it will go when actually presenting the presentation if say, I drank a hour or two before the actual thing.. :unsure:

I need more confidence.. :angry:

maybe save the drink for after the gig, as a reward??
Okay, so I have a few presentations coming up at university. I'm absolutely **** at presentation, when I say im ****, I mean i'm actually ****. Thinking of dropping a few shots before to help loosen me up, anyone done this before?

If it's any consolation, literally everybody seems to struggle with the presentations on my course, even the people who usually exude confidence. I was actually considering doing the same when I started.

I've improved a lot since I started (as in, gone from stammering mess to 80%) without it, and the one piece of advice I can give you is practice. Every night for a week or so beforehand. Use a mirror too.
Original post by john2054
maybe save the drink for after the gig, as a reward??

Good idea :h: I'll keep that in mind as an motivation to keep me going through all the presentations I ever give in my life haha

I knew that drinking before a major presentation wouldn't ever be the best of ideas, if I had too much, I'd start laughing at anything and everything :tongue:
Go to the GP. There's a good chance they'll prescribe you propranolol. It won't calm you down per se, but stop some of the symptoms of nervousness like fast heart, sweating, stuttering.

(Unless you have asthma)
(edited 8 years ago)
I did go on a night out before one of my presentations at uni (in first year), I still pretty tipsy the morning after but it actually went pretty well. However I would probably not recommend drinking, practice until you're sick of it and know the content inside out.
I read this as 'penetration nerves' :ike:
I dont think 3 shots will touch the sides, Im thinking at least a quarter bottle of something. May even offer the professors a shot or two.

Talking of professors a very knowledgeable one told me to take a supplement of L-tryptophan. .....L What!? I asked, and was told its only one of the 8 essential amino acids we need to build stuff in our bodies(found in eggs). Tryptophan converts into serotonin the feel-good neurotransmitter and believe me when you got serotonin flowing you feel naturally relaxed. Whenever I have a daunting social commitment I take a gram of it with a carb(biscuit) and never feel those nerves.Helps me sleep too!
Reply 57
Do you not ease into presentations? I'm fairly socially anxious in general and I've always been super scared of giving them, but after a couple of minutes, especially if I know the subject matter, I find myself quite relaxed.
Reply 58
propanolol works.
Original post by joelektro
Talking of professors a very knowledgeable one told me to take a supplement of L-tryptophan. .....L What!? I asked, and was told its only one of the 8 essential amino acids we need to build stuff in our bodies(found in eggs). Tryptophan converts into serotonin the feel-good neurotransmitter and believe me when you got serotonin flowing you feel naturally relaxed. Whenever I have a daunting social commitment I take a gram of it with a carb(biscuit) and never feel those nerves.Helps me sleep too!

I've got some 5 HTP tablets, havent had them in ages but will start taking them again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending