The Student Room Group

Pakistani women won the OSCAR AGAIN!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fatima1998
i don't know if anyone heard of "Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy" She is a legend to all of the women in the world and especially in Pakistan where women treated poorly (not all the women but some do) their husband splash acid on their faces or their parents don't allow their daughter to marry the guy she is interested in and that even makes me sad :frown:
But a Women like Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy made documentaries of real life stories and changed their lives... She is the first Pakistani who won two Oscars in a row (i think), first documentary she made was "Saving Face" (2012) and she won an Oscar award for that film and the other one she won an Oscar award for "A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness" 2015, just because of that documentary, Pakistan parliament decided to change the legislation :u:
this is the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35690403
Oscar 2012:
[video="youtube;2GDxSAHUOBQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDxSAHUOBQ[/video]
:love::love::love:I love her!!! she's just amazing:love::love::love:

This is lovely. I'm so glad people are finally doing something about issues such as acid attacks which are so common in places like Pakistan and India. It genuinely makes me so sad that men are allowed to get away with that kind of behavior so it's great to hear that legislation has changed in Pakistan.
i didn't say that no one cares about the documentaries; you said that :u:
but i prefer watching something that reflects real life situations

Lmao I didn't say you said it! I said I was explaining since you asked why I said it.

:curious:

what the hell? :lol:

Anyway. For the last time. I care about documentaries, as they're normally important. However...apparently...other people don't...according to...complaints about...no diversity in...the Acting categories... I said this because...DiddyDec...mocked those complaints when he said..."I thought Oscars was just for Whites."

:colonhash:
Original post by WBZ144
I doubt that's what she meant. I for one love documentaries and greatly admire this woman but it's true that the majority of people (at least in the West) are absorbed with the celebrity culture and movies and care less about documentaries, unfortunately. But in the area where most of the public is focused, the majority of ethnic minorities in Hollywood cannot hope to have a real career. They are much less likely to be offered respected movie roles that White actors and actresses.

*SIGH* Thank you, I thought it was me. Actually I didn't :lol:

Anywho.
Original post by WBZ144
I doubt that's what she meant. I for one love documentaries and greatly admire this woman but it's true that the majority of people (at least in the West) are absorbed with the celebrity culture and movies and care less about documentaries, unfortunately. But in the area where most of the public is focused, the majority of ethnic minorities in Hollywood cannot hope to have a real career. They are much less likely to be offered respected movie roles that White actors and actresses.

yeah i know that!!! :h:
a bit discrimination there but lol nooo... its for everyone :h:

Not according to those who boycotted it.
Original post by EphemeralLove
Lmao I didn't say you said it! I said I was explaining since you asked why I said it.

:curious:

what the hell? :lol:

Anyway. For the last time. I care about documentaries, as they're normally important. However...apparently...other people don't...according to...complaints about...no diversity in...the Acting categories... I said this because...DiddyDec...mocked those complaints when he said..."I thought Oscars was just for Whites."

fair enough!!!
*SIGH* Thank you, I thought it was me. Actually I didn't :lol:

Anywho.

yeah i know that!!! :h:

No probs

:smile:
fair enough!!!

Original post by WBZ144
No probs

:smile:

:lol:
Credit is due here. Not only she's a fellow Pakistani but also a woman and then her documentaries highlighted issues and sexist attitudes faced by women. Love her. Inspiring!! :h:

Seeing Pakistani women like this makes me proud of being a Pakistani woman!:h:

:lol:

SEE the difference :biggrin:
Original post by BrokenLife
Credit is due here. Not only she's a fellow Pakistani but also a woman and then her documentaries highlighted issues and sexist attitudes faced by women. Love her. Inspiring!! :h:

Seeing Pakistani women like this makes me proud of being a Pakistani woman!:h:

PRSOM
Gonna make sure I watch this at some point soon. Although, I know that it is going to be incredibly sad :frown:
Pakistan Zindabad! 🇵🇰❤️
Oh well.

Even if we can't play cricket, at least we can make films :laugh:
Original post by moment of truth
Gonna make sure I watch this at some point soon. Although, I know that it is going to be incredibly sad :frown:

watch it... it worth the time :smile:

Original post by Paktriot
Pakistan Zindabad! 🇵🇰❤️

:excited::excited::excited:

Original post by Student403
Oh well.

Even if we can't play cricket, at least we can make films :laugh:

LOL!!! we can make films :rofl2:
you are mix :biggrin:
Original post by DiddyDec
I thought the Oscars were a white only event this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah. Only African Americans think they're persecuted. Other minorities use their brain.
Original post by olawungaa
Nah. Only African Americans think they're persecuted. Other minorities use their brain.

And Asian-Americans (oriental).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35693784

Quick Reply

Latest