The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for GCSE and what were your grades?

I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2.5 seconds and 27A*s

In seriousness it is very subject dependent. I had maths, double science, english lit, english lang, geography and history at a* and welsh and music at a.

For maths I revised a couple of days before each exam, apart from the slightly tougher unit 3 where it was more like several days. for science, it varied between a few days for one exam and about a month for one, over I think 4 exams. For english lit, probably about a week before each exam. For english lang..well it's english lang lol, I looked at some tips the night before the exam. For geog and history maybe one or two weeks before the final exams, a few days before my first history exam. No revision for welsh, couldn't really revise for music but did my best for a couple of days.
As for how much on these days, well, quite a lot. If during school time it would be most evening, if at term time probably most of the day (the day spent awake that is, which was a normal amount, didn't pull all nighters lol)
Reply 2
Night before for biology, physics, geology and maths and then next to nothing for the others. I regret it and have changed now, but luckily i came out with 8 As 3 Bs and a C in Welsh (max i could get)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
2.5 seconds and 27A*s

In seriousness it is very subject dependent. I had maths, double science, english lit, english lang, geography and history at a* and welsh and music at a.

For maths I revised a couple of days before each exam, apart from the slightly tougher unit 3 where it was more like several days. for science, it varied between a few days for one exam and about a month for one, over I think 4 exams. For english lit, probably about a week before each exam. For english lang..well it's english lang lol, I looked at some tips the night before the exam. For geog and history maybe one or two weeks before the final exams, a few days before my first history exam. No revision for welsh, couldn't really revise for music but did my best for a couple of days.
As for how much on these days, well, quite a lot. If during school time it would be most evening, if at term time probably most of the day (the day spent awake that is, which was a normal amount, didn't pull all nighters lol)

Ah okay thanks! What were your mock grades like?
Damn...thats pretty good for someone who crammed stuff in the night before!
Reply 5
Original post by prosperousfuture
Ah okay thanks! What were your mock grades like?

I'm not sure. We did a couple of sets of mocks and my memory blurs things into one and misses out things (I am in uni now, it was a fair while ago). However I think the last year 11 ones were pretty much all A*s and As apart from Welsh, and majority A*s.
I'm not sure. We did a couple of sets of mocks and my memory blurs things into one and misses out things (I am in uni now, it was a fair while ago). However I think the last year 11 ones were pretty much all A*s and As apart from Welsh, and majority A*s.

I'm screwed.
Reply 7
Original post by prosperousfuture
I'm screwed.

Mocks do not mean anything. I mean I got a high 90%+A in a history AS mock and scraped a B by one mark in the exam lol. And there are plenty of people who got mediocre GCSE mock grades and went on to get 15A*s or whatever
I started revising a month before (in year 10) for english lit, then more heavily like 2 weeks before and I got an A* (I probably revised alot compared to others but it was 100% exam and I guess since it was my only exam in year 10 I really wanted to nail it)
Mocks do not mean anything. I mean I got a high 90%+A in a history AS mock and scraped a B by one mark in the exam lol. And there are plenty of people who got mediocre GCSE mock grades and went on to get 15A*s or whatever

Oh Thank God! I've already started revision (light revision of course) so i'll hope for the best! Thanks for your help :smile:
If you put your life, heart and soul into it you will do extremely well :smile:
I'm in year ten and I try to do all of the above :smile:
Reply 11
Although i wish i wasn't so lazy before, GCSEs really arent the end of the world if you dont get amazing grades. A levels are much more important, don't ruin yourself with these, enjoy your last few months of year 11 too.
Reply 12
I'm currently in the same situation as you, my predicted grades are A*'s and A's. I've only just started light revision, but mainly on the bigger subjects such as Science.
I am literally stressing and thinking I'm gonna flop in life if I fail these exams. But through reassurance from friends and family, i know that failing gcses certainly does not mean failing in life. Getting straight B's is more than enough to be proud about, you'd definitely be able to get into college and 6th form. Apparently, your A levels are more important than GCSEs, although brilliant gcse grades would still make your CV look more appealing.
As I said, I'm only doing light revision yet, but mid March I will begin to revise for all my other subjects.
Don't worry man, you'll be fine, just try not to let the stress of GCSE get to your head.
Reply 13
i didn't revise for any of them exept english language which i did about 5 hours and got I an A and 2 B's in the three sciences and a B in English literature and a B in maths and a C in everything else
Original post by 1rs
I'm currently in the same situation as you, my predicted grades are A*'s and A's. I've only just started light revision, but mainly on the bigger subjects such as Science.
I am literally stressing and thinking I'm gonna flop in life if I fail these exams. But through reassurance from friends and family, i know that failing gcses certainly does not mean failing in life. Getting straight B's is more than enough to be proud about, you'd definitely be able to get into college and 6th form. Apparently, your A levels are more important than GCSEs, although brilliant gcse grades would still make your CV look more appealing.
As I said, I'm only doing light revision yet, but mid March I will begin to revise for all my other subjects.
Don't worry man, you'll be fine, just try not to let the stress of GCSE get to your head.

Thanks for the motivation :smile: You're right actually, stress is the last thing we need! Honestly, we should consider ourselves to be lucky as we just missed the new, trickier GCSE. As for light revision, i'm pretty much doing Science too as there is soooo much content to learn :frown:
maybe a week, with a big focus on history and the sciences - I only got AAABBBBCCC though because I'm a dunce
Reply 16
No time at all. Predictably I got three C's and a D.

I was too kool for skool!:wink:
Reply 17
Original post by sleepysnooze
maybe a week, with a big focus on history and the sciences - I only got AAABBBBCCC though because I'm a dunce

The reality is that had you been awarded that many GCSE's at those grades when I left school, you'd have been hailed a genius.

10 GCSE's were unthinkable back then.
Original post by Howard
The reality is that had you been awarded that many GCSE's at those grades when I left school, you'd have been hailed a genius.

thanks - it just seems like most people here and at my university seem to have got a great deal of A grades compared with me without even revising (so they say)
Reply 19
Original post by Howard

Crazy how it changes, ive got 12 and i was seen as pretty average in my school i reckon

Quick Reply

Latest