The Student Room Group

What can i sing for my solo music gcse

Any ideas please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prettyprincess1
Any ideas please?

What is your vocal type? Do you have any songs you've enjoyed performing before?
Reply 2
What type of songs have you sung before?
Original post by BhavyaB
What type of songs have you sung before?

Ive sung celine dions, and hallehujah but Im doing coursework I wanted to know if there any songs that I would e able to get full marks in ?
Original post by mscaffrey
What is your vocal type? Do you have any songs you've enjoyed performing before?

Ive got deep female voice! but Ive sung songs like celine dion for fun and hallehujah by alexandra burke, but I wanted to know what songs would be good to get full marks hat has good ranges ?
Ive got deep female voice! but Ive sung songs like celine dion for fun and hallehujah by alexandra burke, but I wanted to know what songs would be good to get full marks hat has good ranges ?

What exam board is this for?
Original post by TheOtherSide.
What exam board is this for?

It's for edexcel
Any ideas please?

What range do you have - higher (soprano) middlehigher(mezzosoprano), middle(alto). Be honest about this as you need to be able to reach all the notes to get the accuracy mark. Theres nothing wrong if you cant hit the notes in that song you may just have to choose another one or find a version in a lower key.

Also, picking a more difficult song will get you extra marks and a very easy one will drop you a couple of marks. Depending on your ability choose a song that you can really master and get full accuracy on. Do not pick something you will be unable to do within now and your performance and do not pick something well below your ability as it will only lose you marks. (There is nothing wrong with choosing easy if you are a beginner as you can really get it right even if you lose a couple of marks - but do not do it if you are fully able to do the harder stuff.)

Also, do not pick something just because it is your favourite song. Make sure it is somthing you feel comfortable singing and can practice again and again. It needs to be in your vocal range and ability.

If you need any more help let me know and I will be happy to help out.

Hope this helps you. :smile:
Try any song by Cher (the old American one, not Cher Lloyd :wink:)
Reply 9
Never thought of something like Some Nights by Fun. or a Fall Out boy song like Save Rock and Roll?? The vocal ranges in these songs are phenomenal
It's for edexcel

The person above has said some really good points :smile: However, in addition, it's better to make sure that you do a song really really well and it's slightly easier then do to something that it's pretty difficult and mess it up. It may be worth looking at the past grade 5 syllabuses for vocals and see what variety of songs they would have. That should be a good indication as to what songs would be suitable for your range.

Do you currently have a singing teacher? What have they recommended? :smile:
It's for edexcel

I'm doing edexcel too.

Celine dion would probably be a more difficult piece. You would get boosted marks for difficulty.

I'm not doubting your ability at all but make sure it is within your range as her songs are famous for being taken on by people for auditions (cough cough X factor lol) and being too much for the people. However, it sounds like you have a lot of experience so I'm sure this is not an issue here - i just wanted to let you know just in case.
Reply 12
What's your ability? What are your strengths? e.g agility, mid belts, lower register. I don't know anything about GCSE music so are you allowed to choose any song?
Work by Rihanna and Drake :rofl:
It's for edexcel

Okay, so if you look here (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2013/Forms%20and%20administration/GCE_Music_Difficulty_Level_Booklet_2015.pdf), you'll find the grades for each piece, which I hope will help. Really, as long as whatever you're singing is at least grade 3, and you can sing it well, it should be fine (you might want to sing a song with a grade of 5 or above if you want four extra marks, though).
Reply 15
Original post by hxfsxh
Work by Rihanna and Drake :rofl:

OMFG, you beat me to this. Not amused.

But yeah, I'd love to see if someone could actually obtain an acceptable grade performing this song. Mind you, I expect that you'd be disqualified if you copied Rihanna's dance moves.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Okay, so if you look here (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2013/Forms%20and%20administration/GCE_Music_Difficulty_Level_Booklet_2015.pdf), you'll find the grades for each piece, which I hope will help. Really, as long as whatever you're singing is at least grade 3, and you can sing it well, it should be fine (you might want to sing a song with a grade of 5 or above if you want four extra marks, though).

I think this is for A-Level but wow this is really useful I just picked my list A song from Grade 5 for mine. I will probably do it next week as it keeps getting postponed at school for various reasons.
Original post by Whiggy
OMFG, you beat me to this. Not amused.

But yeah, I'd love to see if someone could actually obtain an acceptable grade performing this song. Mind you, I expect that you'd be disqualified if you copied Rihanna's dance moves.

Well, I think we can establish that great minds think alike :wink:
I actually think they could! But the dance moves are maybe two steps too far... :rofl:
Original post by Charlotte.13
I think this is for A-Level but wow this is really useful I just picked my list A song from Grade 5 for mine. I will probably do it next week as it keeps getting postponed at school for various reasons.

Yeah, I found it in the A-level website, but it's still helpful for us GCSE students :biggrin:

I'm glad it helped you :smile:
What about something like 'The Phantom of the Opera'?

Quick Reply

Latest