The Student Room Group

Menstrual Leave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3471011/Company-reveals-plans-offer-period-leave-women-month-create-happier-work-environment.html

This has already been implemented in certain parts of Asia, and now a Bristol company is wanting to introduce this new policy to allow women time off during their period.

What do you think of this idea of a menstrual leave and the 'period policy'?

Scroll to see replies

And people wonder why modern femisnm is a figure of ridicule...
I nearly had to be hospitalised for mine once. But I say #WomanUp!

Get yo ass to work :colonhash:
Reply 3
Don't necessarily agree with the leave part, but I do think better understanding would be good.

I don't think it would be fair for woman to get more paid time off than men - even if we have to suffer with the bloody thing.. (no pun intended!). I think an adaptation to some rules might be helpful - e.g. less penalisation if women call in sick due to periods, but a few days off every month is going to lead to a pretty lazy workforce who will start to use anything as an excuse.

I've had multiple operations as a result of mine being so bad, and had to take pretty hefty time out in the past, so not being biased by that.
Reply 4
If the pain is bad enough that it is unreasonable to expect someone to be working then they should be able to call in "sick" just like anyone else would. Prolonged or persistent absences would then be dealt with as normal.

The aim of the policy seems to be to remove the stigma of a woman taking time off due to significant period pain, feeling unable to do so for fear of it not being recognised as an issue.
Having previously been out with someone who would spent several hours on the bathroom floor crying because the pain was so bad (later diagnosed as endometriosis), I can fully sympathise. So a workplace being more accepting of it is a good thing.

Although it will give the keyboard warriors who like to complain about feminism a thing to moan about.
I think it's a bit ridiculous if it implemented for everyone. But I do think it's great if companies and employers take into account that some women so have debilitating cycles and actually need time off.

(Bare in mind phone wouldn't open link so didn't read)
Meh. I dunno, I think it's a good idea in theory but things like this can quickly start to be abused so I'm disinclined to agree with it. Although to be fair I've never really suffered with periods so I don't know what it's like for those that do.
I think it should basically be treated as any other illness, if you're unable to work you shouldn't have to and I do know a lot of people on their periods go through absolute hell, it's not a given though, I'm lucky enough to have minor effects and I don't think I'd ever need to take a day off work or Uni tbh
Reply 9
But thing is period pain is different for everyone, some people don't even feel it so it makes no difference why should they take a break? I think if it's really really bad you can take a day off, and usually by the second day you're fine so :dontknow:
I could really use it. On the first day of my period at least it's generally impossible for me to go out. I get incredible pains and faintness. I always say that if someone was ill and in that kind of pain they'd be told to forget about work, but because it's something that happens every month we're supposed to be able to stand it.
As long as it is not paid leave then I'm all good with it.
Reply 12
Original post by DiddyDec

It would be treated the same as a day off ill I'd imagine.
Original post by offhegoes
It would be treated the same as a day off ill I'd imagine.

I don't want to assume anything.
Reply 14
Nothing says equality like giving 50% of the workforce a few extra days off a month
Who the heck would want to hire women then? Obviously everyone would want to hire men because either they don't have to pay them for staying off and even if they don't pay for menstrual leave then businesses will still get more hours out of men.

Then the feminists are gonna go on about women having lack of jobs, it's like a cycle caused by feminists just because they want something to moan about.
Original post by DiddyDec

:colonhash:
Original post by EphemeralLove
:colonhash:

ew wth is u
There should be a limit to how many times a woman can take time off work per year for menstrual leave otherwise there will be obviously many who will use this to their advantage which is unfair.

(Haven't read the article btw).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Either it's a medical condition or not.

If it's implemented, women will really struggle to get a job before fourty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending