The Student Room Group

only taking the A-level further maths exam

I know it may sound a bit odd, but I want to take the further maths A level exam only, no maths A-level exam. Of course, I will cover the A-level maths modules as well as the modules needed for further maths. I am an international student and in my own country, I will be taking the equivalent of maths a level. Doing the maths exams at a-level (at Edexcel International) will, therefore, be a waste of time and money.

Do you guys know whether it is possible to take the fm exams only?
Original post by Jeffrey98
I know it may sound a bit odd, but I want to take the further maths A level exam only, no maths A-level exam. Of course, I will cover the A-level maths modules as well as the modules needed for further maths. I am an international student and in my own country, I will be taking the equivalent of maths a level. Doing the maths exams at a-level (at Edexcel International) will, therefore, be a waste of time and money.

from my knowledge, further maths is an optional but not the maths...
maybe ask your teacher they should be able to help you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
from my knowledge, further maths is an optional but not the maths...
maybe ask your teacher they should be able to help you :h:

I am not doing A-levels except for further maths. The system in my own country is different from what it is in the UK. My teacher doesn't know anything about A-levels at all.

The only reason that I want to do further maths at Edexcel International is that my school doesn't offer further maths.
(edited 8 years ago)

You can take the exams if you wish but you cannot be awarded a qualification

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
You can take the exams if you wish but you cannot be awarded a qualification

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks. So if want to get a fm qualification, I should do both the maths and further maths exams, right?
Okay thanks. So if want to get a fm qualification, I should do both the maths and further maths exams, right?

Yes, you have to have an A level in maths to be awarded an A level in further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Yes, you have to have an A level in maths to be awarded an A level in further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further maths is an entirely separate A level, there is no need to do maths, however in most situations it would be absurd.
Original post by Jabberjay_
Further maths is an entirely separate A level, there is no need to do maths, however in most situations it would be absurd.

Check the specification. Page 87.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9781446925201_IAL_Maths_Iss3.pdf

Unless someone has or is working towards an Edexcel (Pearson) A level in maths or an approved A level from an alternative examiner, they can't get a further maths A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest