The Student Room Group

What can i sing for my solo music gcse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Yeah, I found it in the A-level website, but it's still helpful for us GCSE students :biggrin:

I'm glad it helped you :smile:

I did my ensemble last thursday and got full marks so hopefully I can get the same result for solo.
Original post by Charlotte.13
I did my ensemble last thursday and got full marks so hopefully I can get the same result for solo.

Good luck on that!

I've finished my solo, so I'm actually preparing for my ensemble performance (and working on my last composition). After this term, I'll be done with coursework for music, and all my other subjects. Such a relief!
Sing Lana Del Rey, Yayo. It's such a beautiful song
I'd go for PSY-gangnam style personally. The tonal range is great in it.
What range do you have - higher (soprano) middlehigher(mezzosoprano), middle(alto). Be honest about this as you need to be able to reach all the notes to get the accuracy mark. Theres nothing wrong if you cant hit the notes in that song you may just have to choose another one or find a version in a lower key.

Also, picking a more difficult song will get you extra marks and a very easy one will drop you a couple of marks. Depending on your ability choose a song that you can really master and get full accuracy on. Do not pick something you will be unable to do within now and your performance and do not pick something well below your ability as it will only lose you marks. (There is nothing wrong with choosing easy if you are a beginner as you can really get it right even if you lose a couple of marks - but do not do it if you are fully able to do the harder stuff.)

Also, do not pick something just because it is your favourite song. Make sure it is somthing you feel comfortable singing and can practice again and again. It needs to be in your vocal range and ability.

If you need any more help let me know and I will be happy to help out.

Hope this helps you. :smile:

my voice is like middle alto/mezzo
Original post by prettyprincess1
my voice is like middle alto/mezzo

Cool. What sort of songs do you like to sing usually then genre-wise. Classical? Pop? Rock? Blues? Folk? Musical Theatre?
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay, so if you look here (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2013/Forms%20and%20administration/GCE_Music_Difficulty_Level_Booklet_2015.pdf), you'll find the grades for each piece, which I hope will help. Really, as long as whatever you're singing is at least grade 3, and you can sing it well, it should be fine (you might want to sing a song with a grade of 5 or above if you want four extra marks, though).

Thank you soo much , it was so helpful!

what song had u done for your ensemble? well done!!!
Cool. What sort of songs do you like to sing usually then genre-wise. Classical? Pop? Rock? Blues? Folk? Musical Theatre?

hmm I usually - mostly sing pop
what song had u done for your ensemble? well done!!!

Thanks!

I sang Homeward Bound by Marta Keen. Its a folk song adapted for a duet and I sung it with my sister. I learn't it in singing lessons with her.

My solo will by my list A from grade 5 (where'er you walk - Handel)

(I may also be singing for my friends ensemble but just not marked. It will probably be pop or musical theatre)
hmm I usually - mostly sing pop

Cool! Maybe something like Jar of hearts (although this can be overdone by people). Wings (birdy not little mix).

You may not heard of this but 'The whisperer by Sia' isa very good song although needs to be a duet. I don't know if you have done that yet? Still a good song and worth a listen.

I'll think of some more later :smile:
Cool! Maybe something like Jar of hearts (although this can be overdone by people). Wings (birdy not little mix).

You may not heard of this but 'The whisperer by Sia' isa very good song although needs to be a duet. I don't know if you have done that yet? Still a good song and worth a listen.

I'll think of some more later :smile:

please do thank you!, do u know what grade/level hallehujah might be?
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay, so if you look here (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2013/Forms%20and%20administration/GCE_Music_Difficulty_Level_Booklet_2015.pdf), you'll find the grades for each piece, which I hope will help. Really, as long as whatever you're singing is at least grade 3, and you can sing it well, it should be fine (you might want to sing a song with a grade of 5 or above if you want four extra marks, though).

Thank you do u know what grade/level hallehujah(by alexandra burke) might be?
please do thank you!, do u know what grade/level hallehujah might be?

Grade 6 :smile: It would give you extra marks as it is considered difficult at GCSE!
As the Alexandra Burke version is pop then I found it on the sullabus for Rock school. I dont know where the Jeff Buckley (original I think) version would be but still the same sort of grade.

Some other suggestions:

5.jpg

6.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
what is your favourite song and just sing along. if that doesnt sound right then my personal favourite is bohemiam rahpsody by queen or something like that probably spelt wrong but it should come up. hope you do well.
I'm doing mine at the moment and this is how it is marked
Demand - 0-3
Interpretation- 0-9
Communication- 0-9
Accuracy- 0-9
So the whole solo is out of 30 marks.. this is why you shouldn't pick a higher grade song that you can't sing as well because the demand means the grade the song is.. and it is ONLY WORTH 3 MARKS!!! So please please please don't choose anything out of your comfort zone in an attempt to get better marks. You could sing twinkle twinkle little star and as long as you sang it perfectly and confidently you could get 28 out of 30... that's over 90%! An easy A*!!
If you go on their website all the songs are on there listed by composer and what grade they are you can download it from there and keep it in iBooks hope this helps http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2016/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/GCSE-AS-and-A-level-Music-Difficulty-Levels-Booklet.pdf
Reply 37
Try figures by Jesse Reyes it’s so good or some Cher (not Cher Lloyd) music would be good if you’ve got a deep voice
Any ideas please?

I’f you go on to Spotify, there’s a page called Sing2Piano, you could try a few songs from there personally for my junior certificate I’m singing ‘all I want’ and maybe ‘scared to be lonely acoustic’
Death Note intro 2 acapella nightcore

Quick Reply

Latest