The Student Room Group

WJEC as ict

Hello,

I understand that this AS exam is probably gonna be a ****. My ICT teacher is a WJEC examiner and he literally tells us, the definitions need to be word for word. If you do not get them bang on, no marks awarded.

How are you revising? I can generally look at something and remember, but not with this god forsaken text book... there is just too much to learn and I like to make my own notes.

Scroll to see replies

Use mark schemes!
The way that I revised for AS and A2 ICT (recommended by my ICT teacher) was by going through as many past papers as possible, collecting the questions asked and putting them in separate Word documents for each topic. Then, I went through the mark scheme for each question and typed out a 'model' answer based on the mark scheme, which I then memorised.

It's true that you need to be precise when answering definition questions, as often you need to include certain terms to gain the marks :smile:
Original post by 28/01/2016
Use mark schemes!

Original post by Leviathan1741
The way that I revised for AS and A2 ICT (recommended by my ICT teacher) was by going through as many past papers as possible, collecting the questions asked and putting them in separate Word documents for each topic. Then, I went through the mark scheme for each question and typed out a 'model' answer based on the mark scheme, which I then memorised.

It's true that you need to be precise when answering definition questions, as often you need to include certain terms to gain the marks :smile:

Great, thank you guys! :biggrin:

I didn't do my revision for AS like this but I'm going to try this for A2.... I really want to get an A maybe an A* (but that's too hard)
I didn't do my revision for AS like this but I'm going to try this for A2.... I really want to get an A maybe an A* (but that's too hard)

Yeah, I mainly used this method at A2. Sadly though, I just missed out on an A (by 3 marks) because we got an awful 10 marker on operational procedures which we rushed over at the last minute in class, so I was unprepared for it. Nobody got an A for A Level ICT in my year though, even those predicted As and A*s (including me) so I don't feel too bad about it :tongue:
Yeah, I mainly used this method at A2. Sadly though, I just missed out on an A (by 3 marks) because we got an awful 10 marker on operational procedures which we rushed over at the last minute in class, so I was unprepared for it. Nobody got an A for A Level ICT in my year though, even those predicted As and A*s (including me) so I don't feel too bad about it :tongue:

Oh no! I would have been so annoyed... But it's not your fault... You should have asked for a remark! You know last year my teacher sent this girls paper*for a remark and it went down from a B to a C she was so annoyed!! WJEC is just evil.... Do you know what UMS/Marks you need for an A*?
Oh no! I would have been so annoyed... But it's not your fault... You should have asked for a remark! You know last year my teacher sent this girls paper*for a remark and it went down from a B to a C she was so annoyed!! WJEC is just evil.... Do you know what UMS/Marks you need for an A*?

I actually did get a remark, but my mark stayed the same. I can't remember off the top of my head, sorry :redface:
I actually did get a remark, but my mark stayed the same. I can't remember off the top of my head, sorry :redface:

Its fine, thanks for sharing your techniques, do you by any chance have any of your resources that you wouldn't mind sharing? Its fine if you don't, once again thanks for the help, really appreciate it!!!
Its fine, thanks for sharing your techniques, do you by any chance have any of your resources that you wouldn't mind sharing? Its fine if you don't, once again thanks for the help, really appreciate it!!!

I do still have all of my notes/model answers from ICT (A2 only). I could email them to you if you like? :smile:
I do still have all of my notes/model answers from ICT (A2 only). I could email them to you if you like? :smile:

Omg yes please, I'll pm you.

Would you mind doing this for me too please? :smile: I know I'm doing AS, but I plan on doing A2, and this will be a great help.

Thank you!
Original post by abrack
Would you mind doing this for me too please? :smile: I know I'm doing AS, but I plan on doing A2, and this will be a great help.

Thank you!

Sure, can you PM me your email address? :smile:
Original post by abrack

Thank you!

Hey, I have a resource for AS that you might like, basically for all the past papers what I did was get the exam questions put them into a word doc and copy and paste the mark scheme answers for them underneath is so that the question and answer is on the same page, I did this for about 12 past papers! Let me know if you're interested.
Sure, can you PM me your email address? :smile:

On it!

Hey, I have a resource for AS that you might like, basically for all the past papers what I did was get the exam questions put them into a word doc and copy and paste the mark scheme answers for them underneath is so that the question and answer is on the same page, I did this for about 12 past papers! Let me know if you're interested.

Yeah, I'm going to do something like this, thanks for the suggestion. We originally did this sort of thing - only that we had the physical exams and we had to cut them out and stick them in -_-. I'm just gonna screenshot the question and screenshot the mark scheme for each corresponding question and do it that way!
Original post by abrack
On it!

Yeah, I'm going to do something like this, thanks for the suggestion. We originally did this sort of thing - only that we had the physical exams and we had to cut them out and stick them in -_-. I'm just gonna screenshot the question and screenshot the mark scheme for each corresponding question and do it that way!

Seems like a great idea, although it might be time consuming but its worth it, I got an A from using the resource I made, so literally mark schemes are the only way forward!!! GOOD LUCK :smile:
Seems like a great idea, although it might be time consuming but its worth it, I got an A from using the resource I made, so literally mark schemes are the only way forward!!! GOOD LUCK :smile:

Thank you! And to you too in your A2 exams! :biggrin:
Original post by abrack
Thank you! And to you too in your A2 exams! :biggrin:

If you need any help you can ask me, and btw how did you do in your coursework?
If you need any help you can ask me, and btw how did you do in your coursework?

Not even completed it fully yet, but I'm looking at an A. Hopefully this will supplement the exam grade! :P
Original post by abrack
Not even completed it fully yet, but I'm looking at an A. Hopefully this will supplement the exam grade! :P

Try to achieve full marks on your coursework it will put you in a very good position, and how much have you got left?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending