The Student Room Group

Experience and super-curriculars for chemical engineering

Hello!

I will soon start sixth form and my A Levels, which are: maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and the EPQ. I wish to pursue a degree in chemical engineering at Cambridge and therefore I am looking for ways to boost my personal statement.

I would be very happy if someone could help me find some experience and/or super-curriculars that would make my personal statement shine:colondollar:. I will be doing the 'UKMT senior maths challenge'. I also wish to participate in the chemistry and physics Olympiad, however, I do not think the sixth form offer them. Is it still possible to complete them externally?

EDIT: I am also going to be doing Duke of Edinburgh Gold during sixth form and NCS this summer, however I'm not sure how relevant that is.

Much appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by arniebob
Hello!

I will soon start sixth form and my A Levels, which are: maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and the EPQ. I wish to pursue a degree in chemical engineering at Cambridge and therefore I am looking for ways to boost my personal statement.

I would be very happy if someone could help me find some experience and/or super-curriculars that would make my personal statement shine:colondollar:. I will be doing the 'UKMT senior maths challenge'. I also wish to participate in the chemistry and physics Olympiad, however, I do not think the sixth form offer them. Is it still possible to complete them externally?

EDIT: I am also going to be doing Duke of Edinburgh Gold during sixth form and NCS this summer, however I'm not sure how relevant that is.

Much appreciated!

DofE is not relevant.

Your grades are by far the most important thing.

Olympiads are fine but not necessary.

Isaacphysics and iwanttostudyengineering are useful resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
DofE is not relevant.

Your grades are by far the most important thing.

Olympiads are fine but not necessary.

Isaacphysics and iwanttostudyengineering are useful resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response. Would EDT be beneficial as well? Also, would I simply put that I have been solving problems from isaacphysics and iwanttostudyengineering?
Reply 3
Thank you for your response. Would EDT be beneficial as well? Also, would I simply put that I have been solving problems from isaacphysics and iwanttostudyengineering?

Anything supercurricular can be helpful so yes, Headstart, is a good thing. But not as important as your academics :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Anything supercurricular can be helpful so yes, Headstart, is a good thing. But not as important as your academics :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will try my hardest to get all A*. I hope DofE will not affect it much, the main reason I am doing it is because it's fun.

I was also looking at Nuffield Research and UNIQ at Oxford (chemistry, engineering, materials, maths or physics?) but I'm not sure how relevant they are for chemical engineering. Also, is it bad to do an Oxford summer school instead of a Cambridge summer school?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I will try my hardest to get all A*. I hope DofE will not affect it much, the main reason I am doing it is because it's fun.

I was also looking at Nuffield Research and UNIQ at Oxford (chemistry, engineering, materials, maths or physics?) but I'm not sure how relevant they are for chemical engineering. Also, is it bad to do an Oxford sunmer school instead of a Cambridge summer school?

DofE won't disadvantage you, it just isn't relevant for Cambridge. If you enjoy it, do it. :smile:

Similarly they don't mind if you attend Uniq (or other tasters/masterclasses) at different universities. After all, most (or certainly a significant proportion) of the academic staff didn't do their undergrad at Cambridge anyway. They know there's more than one uni in the UK...

Anything physics/maths related is relevant.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
DofE won't disadvantage you, it just isn't relevant for Cambridge. If you enjoy it, do it. :smile:

Similarly they don't mind if you attend Uniq (or other tasters/masterclasses) at different universities. After all, most (or certainly a significant proportion) of the academic staff didn't do their undergrad at Cambridge anyway. They know there's more than one uni in the UK...

Anything physics/maths related is relevant.

Would maths and physics be more relevant than chemistry?

EDT is definitely a great thing to do - just make sure you take it seriously because a lot of people in my group didn't! Also think about applying to a Headstart summer school.

Would maths and physics be more relevant than chemistry?

Generally yes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Plagioclase
EDT is definitely a great thing to do - just make sure you take it seriously because a lot of people in my group didn't! Also think about applying to a Headstart summer school.

I have looked at the EDT headstart courses and I will probably choose to do either chemical engineering at UCL (3 days) or engineering at Cambridge (4 days) :smile:

I'll try to do either a sutton trust summer school at Cambridge or UNIQ as well.

Quick Reply

Latest