Original post by Rk2k14
@zKlown@swirly
Nas vs Jay Z beef?

Original post by difeo
strong copying of my banter
Original post by Rk2k14
@zKlown@swirly
Nas vs Jay Z beef?

What do you know about Dot Rotten vs Wiley beef?

The greatests minds of a generation.
Original post by zKlown
Woah, take that @Kenan and Kel

Shut your mouth and know your role!

A few decent results and we're all of a sudden talking positively about LVG again, **** him.

#LVGOUT

@sr90 thoughts?

He'll leave by ''mutual consent'' as soon as the season is over

Hopefully its as quick as West Ham getting rid of Allardcye last year
With the way he's been playing, I think Varela should be made 1st choice RB with Darmian as backup. Varela took care of Sanchez with relative ease yet Darmian struggled when confronted with the same task. Obviously we shouldn't just base it on that and the few games Varela's played, but I think we should leave Varela where he is and make it Darmian's job to try and displace him if he can. When Darmian becomes fit he shouldn't automatically be reinstated as RB imo. Let him fight for it.
Agreed.

Darmian injury and Rooney injuries were actually blessings in disguise. The Fellaini injury was ultimate blessing though. Can't believe Herrera used to sit on the bench every game for Fellaini.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're right. Same as Valencia. He's back in training now. Neither of them were playing well before their injuries. Varela should continue playing until/if his form dips.
Original post by jam277
Real Madrid since then have promoted Jesé and they utilised Morata a fair bit in the 13/14 season. They also got Carvajal back from Leverkusen who was a Castilla product that was sold under Mourinho(while it was clear Arbeloa was declining as a player)

Chelsea I hear have plans to promote youth but with a trigger happy Abramovich I can see why people won't be too keen on utilising youth.

Realistically I think Abramovich has stopped his 'win the league or you're fired' antics. But realistically top 4 or sacked makes sense bar for inconceivable circumstances.
Youth has been a big priority for Abramovich for awhile now, Mourinho made some big claims about our youth in his time here and failed to deliver, although in fairness his time with us was cut short.

I am enjoying United fans trying to convince themselves Mourinho will use youth when every piece of evidence points to the contrary though. If he manages to stay with United long term then possibly, but again there's little to say that will happen, and I'd be surprised if United decide to give him a long contract.

His ego will have been bruised massively from this season and he'll be given £100m at the bare minimum to spend over the summer. He won't want to lose out to us and with Pep at City, nothing less than the title will be good enough for him. He won't be taking chances on youth players unless absolutely necessary, or as you say if there's someone good enough to break into the first team imminently.
Ratings out of 10?

Van Gaal PS Battles.jpg
Original post by Nickini
Youth has been a big priority for Abramovich for awhile now, Mourinho made some big claims about our youth in his time here and failed to deliver, although in fairness his time with us was cut short.

I am enjoying United fans trying to convince themselves Mourinho will use youth when every piece of evidence points to the contrary though. If he manages to stay with United long term then possibly, but again there's little to say that will happen, and I'd be surprised if United decide to give him a long contract.

His ego will have been bruised massively from this season and he'll be given £100m at the bare minimum to spend over the summer. He won't want to lose out to us and with Pep at City, nothing less than the title will be good enough for him. He won't be taking chances on youth players unless absolutely necessary, or as you say if there's someone good enough to break into the first team imminently.

Mourinho didn't actually do too badly with youth, his reputation goes before him. Gave at least 7/8 youngsters their debuts, though if only 3/4 of them were actually meaningful I think the rest are justified being one off's/cameos as the likes of John Swift etc haven't done well away on loans. Solanke/Brown and maybe Baker would have been in his first team plans in a year or two's time. He can't be blamed if Chalobah/Bamford go away and can't get into the first team. The board also brought in the likes of Zouma/Kenedy which stifled our first team.

Last season was all about results until the trophies were won. Tbh, Hiddink has done little more than Jose did this season wrt to playing youth players/rotating. He doesn't even give Begovic cup games.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by David Brent.
Mourinho didn't actually do too badly with youth, his reputation goes before him. Gave at least 7/8 youngsters their debuts, though if only 3/4 of them were actually meaningful I think the rest are justified being one off's/cameos as the likes of John Swift etc haven't done well away on loans. Solanke/Brown and maybe Baker would have been in his first team plans in a year or two's time. He can't be blamed if Chalobah/Bamford go away and can't get into the first team. The board also brought in the likes of Zouma/Kenedy which stifled our first team.

Last season was all about results until the trophies were won. Tbh, Hiddink has done little more than Jose did this season wrt to playing youth players/rotating. He doesn't even give Begovic cup games.
Giving youth players a few minutes here and there doesn't count as doing well with youth. Not a single youth player made any significant steps towards the first team under his two and a half year tenure, United fans seem to be expecting a lot more than that. I don't disagree with what you're saying though, I would have liked him to use youth more but there are mitigating circumstances.

Remember when he said all that stuff about Loftus-Cheek getting a run of games? Subbed off at half time against Villa and out of the squad barely two weeks later. That he should be blamed if Baker, Brown and Solanke weren't playing for England in a few years? All shipped off on loan and Falcao brought in.
(edited 8 years ago)
tbf he gave Loftus Cheek more minutes than any of our youth players since the AVB/Di Matteo days last season. But yeah it isn't great but not as bad as made out by rival fans.

United have only given so many youth players minutes because the rest of them are always getting injured and they've bought poorly. And Moyes did a better job with Januzaj than LVG has with any of the youth players under his reign. This Rashford guy looks like a natural finisher though.
Original post by David Brent.
tbf he gave Loftus Cheek more minutes than any of our youth players since the AVB/Di Matteo days last season. But yeah it isn't great but not as bad as made out by rival fans.

United have only given so many youth players minutes because the rest of them are always getting injured and they've bought poorly. And Moyes did a better job with Januzaj than LVG has with any of the youth players under his reign. This Rashford guy looks like a natural finisher though.
Aye, a grand total of 140 minutes, all but 7 of which coming after we'd secured the title, and the remainder from Sporting at home, aka "the day of the academy".
@The Shed End @Nickini Hiddink doesn't do anything with the youth for obvious reasons. He said straight away he's going to try and win both cups and get high as possible in the league considering the situation Chelsea were at Christmas. There's no faffing about with youth in this case, even in an idealistic world he would play them and get them to the level of a first teamer.

Judging a man who is in charge for 6 months in the same way that Mourinho is judged according to youth(over a 2.5 year spell) is unfair too.

The board bringing in young players doesn't mean that José can't play youth either. There is a key position that has a player with clear potential to fill yet Loftus Cheek wasn't given a chance. I guess maybe had Chelsea started the season better, Loftus Cheek would be having a few more appearances. So maybe he wasn't at the club long enough to actually fulfil his plans. I also guess that he gave Kenedy some gametime(although unsure whether this was a ploy to get more funding, as the actual games he played in didn't make sense i.e. coming on with 20mins to go when the team is losing).

Original post by Nickini

Yeah. He failed to deliver with youth. Coming to think of it however, Guardiola's spell with youth obviously is strengthened by the fact he had managed the B team just before he managed Barcelona. He's therefore been at the club and seen the youngsters play for him and therefore can make his assessment on who is first team quality better(although he did a fantastic job regardless). Ferguson was at the club for a long time before his youth experiment worked with Beckham and co. Since then he's been unable to replicate that too, although I guess he had Cleverley.

In reality, Van Gaal and Simeone are the best with young/academy players in a top team. The work Simeone has done with Atlético is outstanding (Koke/Torres/Saul/Costa) while Van Gaal had a large part to play in the careers of players like Xavi/Iniesta/Valdes/Motta/Kroos/Muller/Alaba. Currently he's doing well with the likes of CBJ/Rashford/Lingard.

Maybe Mourinho needs to have some slack cut here but I doubt he's really that great with youth unless they've been bought or are ready made(i.e. Varane/Zouma/Balotelli)

Said earlier. Only player Mourinho deserves credit for other than his porto days(which nearly every manager is able to do in charge of that club) is Santon. That surely speaks volumes.
(edited 8 years ago)
The main reason I wouldn't be so worried about Jose and youth is our academy hasn't produced a top prospect in a fairly long time. We've produced okay, players like Welbeck and Cleverly but we need a Martial come out of the academy. Even with the ones we've had come through of late, (Januzaj, Pereria, Varela, Pogba types) most of them are arriving at 16. If you take Wenger's stated timeline of players at that age they have already passed a couple of the barriers to top level football, and in a sense are "ready made" players. What you are really talking about is whether as a manager he would be preventing players coming through to the first team.

Even with LVG now, how many of these players are good enough. Is anyone looking at McNair and saying he's a Varane or Laporte? Unless we have those player in the academy any coach, is just blocking the progression of players to lower level clubs. United's youth as far as the first team goes, currently consists of buying players in the final stages of their development like DDG, Martial, Shaw, Depay. United's youth problem is with the players the academy is producing not the player the team is using.

Jose would be a short term manager so the only worry over youth is would he allow the team to develop a problematic age profile by not giving enough opportunity to young players, and by young we mean of the right age nothing to do with academy. Would Jose damage a player like Martial or Depay?
That is exactly why I don't understand why many fans are continuing on about young players. We have produced zero top quality academy players in years. None of the current one's are certain to be a Man United player (or playing at another elite team) in 5 years time. It would only be a worry if we were churning out MUQ academy players every couple years. That's just not the case.

The one's that are good enough will likely get a chance. The others will leave and likely play for mid-tier Premiership clubs or Championship level.
Reply 5599
Didn't Sunday's game actually expose LVG?

If Rooney wasn't injured would he have played Rashford?
I mean all those weeks he left Rashford out and played the likes of Fellani instead.

It's his job to pick the best players, it seems to me that injuries forced him to pick who he should have used before. Am I wrong?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest