The Student Room Group

can i see a doctor

I have a sore throat, no longer coughing as I physically can't, the pain/swelling is too severe. I can't sleep as I'm in so much pain. Swallowing, breathing, just moving is so so so painful. I've only had it this bad around 24 hours though.
Reply 1
Do your lymph nodes feel swollen? If so, it may be viral, so a pharmacist may be the best person to help. You can always head to a walk in centre though for a medical opinion.
Call 111 which is the non emergency nhs number and ask what they advise.
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
Call 111 which is the non emergency nhs number and ask what they advise.

They can't give any medication advice, their advice will just be to see a pharmacist/gp/nurse, since it's not hospital level. I'd opt for a pharmacist, see what they say, if they say to go to your local walk-in centre/GP surgery, they'll be able to prescribe something stronger.
Original post by doodle_333
I have a sore throat, no longer coughing as I physically can't, the pain/swelling is too severe. I can't sleep as I'm in so much pain. Swallowing, breathing, just moving is so so so painful. I've only had it this bad around 24 hours though.

Here is some good advice, don't die.
dude I feel for you right now... I have strepsills next to me.... Sore throat spray.... and cold and flu tablets!
If there's swelling that's making it difficult to swallow and breathe you should always see a doctor (sometimes even an emergency doctor, if it's severe enough that you can't wait until the morning). Not breathing can be quite serious for human beings.
Original post by JoeTSR
Do your lymph nodes feel swollen? If so, it may be viral, so a pharmacist may be the best person to help. You can always head to a walk in centre though for a medical opinion.

Swollen lymph nodes actually increase the likelihood of it being bacterial, bruh.
Reply 8
Original post by Etomidate
Swollen lymph nodes actually increase the likelihood of it being bacterial, bruh.

Source?
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/764304-overview

The source you just linked tells you about the centor criteria which predicts the probability of group A strep pharyngitis. You found your own source.
Make sure you get checked up ASAP. Difficulty breathing sounds like an emergency...You need to breath.

Quick Reply

Latest