The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for GCSE and what were your grades?

Scroll to see replies

I got 10 A*s (english lit and lang, maths, french, spanish, latin, bio, chem, physics, geog) and 3 As (FSMQ, polish and history)
I guess I revised quite hard in the lead up - all my notes were finished for my mocks so I just had to update and improve them for the real thing.
However the night before some exams e.g. the additional science exams I barley revised at all, I think I was just all burnt out and just left the actual learning to the morning before if the exam was in the afternoon. For my extension science units I tried my hardest to revise as much as possible because I didn't want bad add results to drag me down.
Reply 21
Original post by TomC_97
Crazy how it changes, ive got 12 and i was seen as pretty average in my school i reckon

If you got 6 or 7, maybe 5 A's and 2 B's you were well on your way back in my day. People simply didn't sit 12 GCSE's - maybe a couple of kids in the entire country sat that many. They were the ones that ended up at Oxford at 16.
Original post by Howard
If you got 6 or 7, maybe 5 A's and 2 B's you were well on your way back in my day. People simply didn't sit 12 GCSE's - maybe a couple of kids in the entire country sat that many. They were the ones that ended up at Oxford at 16.

At least they didn't shove compulsory bs subjects down your throats e.g Citzenship. Such a waste of time! Did 13 GCSE's and that was pretty normal in my school..
Reply 23
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
At least they didn't shove compulsory bs subjects down your throats e.g Citzenship. Such a waste of time! Did 13 GCSE's and that was pretty normal in my school..

Yes. There weren't any BS subjects to chose from. It was Maths, Eng lang, Eng lit, Geog, Hist, French (Spanish if your school was really progressive) and the three sciences. That was pretty much all that was on offer which limited the number you could possibly take to about nine anyway!

My friend got 6 A's and 2 B's. He then did 3 A levels (got 2 A's and a B) We were in awe. He was the absolute talk of our little village! He then joined the RAF and became a fighter pilot (and flew with the Red Arrows) and today is something like a squadron leader. He didn't go to university at all.

Today, those grades would probably get him a job as an assistant manager at a shoe shop. Times have definitely changed.
Original post by Howard
Yes. There weren't any BS subjects to chose from. It was Maths, Eng lang, Eng lit, Geog, Hist, French (Spanish if your school was really progressive) and the three sciences. That was pretty much all that was on offer which limited the number you could possibly take to about nine anyway!

My friend got 6 A's and 2 B's. He then did 3 A levels (got 2 A's and a B) We were in awe. He was the absolute talk of our little village! He then joined the RAF and became a fighter pilot (and flew with the Red Arrows) and today is something like a squadron leader. He didn't go to university at all.

Today, those grades would probably get him a job as an assistant manager at a shoe shop. Times have definitely changed.

Truly quite lucky! All the bs subjects had ***** coursework that just wasted your entire year. To then find out after all that hard work it go moderated wrong :sigh: Only enjoyed the coursework element in English.

Awh a village.. Yeah I don't like the emphasis on having to go to University unless it's needed for your career.
Your friend has done well :smile:

Lmao I agree with your last point.

As for OP.. I left revision really really last minute. Time flies and you just don't realise. When I say last minute I mean the night before or even the morning for some of my exams. It helped that exams were really nicely spread out for me though. I remember reading posts on TSR when doing my GCSE's like this and scoffing saying no way did they leave it this late. But trust me your exams are really right around the corner. Start revising now! I did pretty decent and was hugely surprised as I thought I'd fail due to lack of preparation but then again they have made GCSE's tougher.
I started revising during easter holidays, our school gave us lots of study leave. I wasn't very good at revising back then and couldn't really go for that long, but most of my grades were good - some subjects a dropped a grade in simply because i hadn't put enough work in. I'm much better now and find myself starting a lot earlier just because it means i can relax a little bit knowing I'm not leaving it too late or missing out topics.
Reply 26
A large amount of science and maths, as they were my weak ones, and nothing really on anything else.
Art (Self taught) A
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Drama A
English Lang IGCSE A*
English Lit IGCSE A*
French A
Maths IGCSE A
Physics A*
Religious Studies A*
British Sign Language Pass
I started revising 2 weeks before the exams, by making my notes.
I finished making all my notes 2 or 3 days before exams started.
Then, I just revised/read through my notes, the day/evening before each exam. I probably should've revised more, but it all turned out okay. Now I'm doing A Levels I've realised I need to get more organised and start revising earlier on, and do practice papers.

Plus, I went into hospital when I took them, and ended up doing half of them whilst in A and E.

I got 9 A*s and 3 As :smile:
How much revision did I do for my GCSEs? Not enough.
however long each exam was.

GCSEs are a joke
I am currently in the middle of my second round of Mocks for exams in May. I find that trying long revision sessions doesn't help as I end up just getting tired and bored and start to skip over things to get the topic done. Little and often is always good. If I have a spare 5 minutes I may sit down and make a mind map of everything I can remember and then fill in the gaps using a revision guide or website later on. This really helps as I'm not just copying out of a revision guide which I don't find that helpful.
In general, copying stuff you are already knowledable doesn't seem useful personally. I would rather see what I actually remember and do short revision sessions from there to get these easy to forget facts in my brain. However, everyone is different so it's up to you to find out what works well for you.
Reply 31
I guess it depends, if you want to achieve the highest grades the amount of time you revise should reflect that :smile:. Unfortunately because of personal circumstances I ended up giving up as the two years progressed and revised the nights before each exam.

I ended up receiving all As/A*s with 3Bs. This did not reflect my usual standard and I regret my lack of work now, just goes to show that you have to work hard in all areas of life. Best of luck with your exams :smile:
I got mostly A*/A s at gcse without revising particularly. This is not a good idea because it meant I was completely unprepared for the rigor of A-levels which is in a different league. It caused huge amounts of stress and aggravation for all of year 12 as I struggled to adapt. I ended up getting BBDD in my year 12 exams so it limited university prospects. However I'm lucky and have received 2 unconditional offers and all 5 offers(I think down to my GCSEs). uni of Birmingham, uni of Southampton, uni of Liverpool, RHUL(unconditional), and uni of Hull (unconditional). My point is A-levels may be the hardest part of your school experience including university, even in year 12 as this is one of the biggest factors in the decision making process for universities and teachers who will predict your grades (if you don't do AS exams). Having the right attitude as soon as possible, and switching from holiday mode to work instantly in year 12 will help decide your future (honestly).

You could get away without doing revision and still do well, but be aware that your mind set and understanding of how to do revision will be lacking compared to your class mates who haven't done as well and this will defiantly show in year 12 no matter how naturally intelligent you are. So do as much as you can otherwise it will be an up hill struggle in year 12 which you don't want.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 9A*s and 1A (in french- languages are not my thing) and I started revising around Easter holidays... but that was only for some subjects with lots of content like the sciences (I did all three) and maths (which I felt I needed more practice in, but I mainly did past papers). For English Lit + Lang I started the weekend before the exam tbh, same for religious education. It sort of depends on your timetable and how much you can revise in a period of time. Look at everything you have to learn, and try and make a timetable- it'll help you figure out what to do / when.
Biology was the only subject where I did more than night before revision at home (I did stuff at school for all subjects but that's just 'cause teachers dedicated lessons to it like eh). For that I did maybe a week or two? Other subjects I did effectively like an hour or 2 for each, depending on what I could be bothered to do on the night and how much time I had on the morning of the exam.

Biology I got an A. I got no A*s, predictably, but managed 4 As in total, as well as like...6? Bs and 2 Cs (one c was in further maths tho and that stuff was hard af to me at the time)

My only real regret is not revising more for maths, it certainly had knock on effects once I started AS level.
Original post by prosperousfuture
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

Have a look at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
If you put your life, heart and soul into it you will do extremely well :smile:
I'm in year ten and I try to do all of the above :smile:

WTF. In year 10 , I was setting off fire alarms and annoying teachers WTF. GL..... I HAVE EXAMS THIS YEAR, IM SCREWED
Original post by RainHolmes
I got 9A*s and 1A (in french- languages are not my thing) and I started revising around Easter holidays... but that was only for some subjects with lots of content like the sciences (I did all three) and maths (which I felt I needed more practice in, but I mainly did past papers). For English Lit + Lang I started the weekend before the exam tbh, same for religious education. It sort of depends on your timetable and how much you can revise in a period of time. Look at everything you have to learn, and try and make a timetable- it'll help you figure out what to do / when.

ok but did you learn stuff before easter holiday - like did you do any hardcore revision before easter holidays?
Original post by karinaabrown
I got 10 A*s (english lit and lang, maths, french, spanish, latin, bio, chem, physics, geog) and 3 As (FSMQ, polish and history)
I guess I revised quite hard in the lead up - all my notes were finished for my mocks so I just had to update and improve them for the real thing.
However the night before some exams e.g. the additional science exams I barley revised at all, I think I was just all burnt out and just left the actual learning to the morning before if the exam was in the afternoon. For my extension science units I tried my hardest to revise as much as possible because I didn't want bad add results to drag me down.

Wow! Amazing! Were you always achieving A's and A*'s in school? Like in the mocks and everything?
Original post by prosperousfuture
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

Lol i dont know if this would help but I am also doing my gcses this year. Did my mocks back in january i was scraping cs and get below. But i started revision about a week ago and my grades are flying higher to A's and A stars and Bs
My revision time table is:
Morning before school do an hour of .... and ....
Lunchtime do.....
Afterschool at school do.......
At home do 2-3 subjects of your choice and take at least a full day of rest in the week its worked for me its quick and effective
I study history Maths, Additional science, English language, Re and French

Quick Reply

Latest