The Student Room Group

Nuffield Placements 2016

Hey everyone!

I just thought I'd make this thread so people thinking of applying to the placements this year can talk to each other about it :yep:

I did one last year - it was in the University of Manchester, looking at some properties of graphene - and the experience was amazing. The placement had also proved to have such a positive impact on my university applications

Anyway, feel free to ask me questions about the application process etc and I'll do my best to help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Serine Soul
Hey everyone!

I just thought I'd make this thread so people thinking of applying to the placements this year can talk to each other about it :yep:

I did one last year - it was in the University of Manchester, looking at some properties of graphene - and the experience was amazing. The placement had also proved to have such a positive impact on my university applications

Anyway, feel free to ask me questions about the application process etc and I'll do my best to help!

I'm applying this year,:eek: and I'm nervous about the application process. I live in London, so I imagine the competition is tough and everyone's got the best personal statement possible. I'm applying for chemistry and have kinda finished the personal statement.

My questions are:
What do they want from an applicant the most?, i.e predicted grades, good ps...
Is it ok to go over the 500 word limit a bit(Currently at 568)
How was the workload/tasks set?
Were you ever bored at one time?
Was it worthwhile?

Sorry for so much questions, just really nervous!
Original post by Yesitisi
I'm applying this year,:eek: and I'm nervous about the application process. I live in London, so I imagine the competition is tough and everyone's got the best personal statement possible. I'm applying for chemistry and have kinda finished the personal statement.

My questions are:
What do they want from an applicant the most?, i.e predicted grades, good ps...
Is it ok to go over the 500 word limit a bit(Currently at 568)
How was the workload/tasks set?
Were you ever bored at one time?
Was it worthwhile?

Sorry for so much questions, just really nervous!

They'd definitely want you to be fairly strong in all those areas, but the most important thing is showing that you're passionate for science and are really considering a career in it in the future. Generally, yeah, they'd like to see some top grades etc and a nice ps

Don't worry! Mine was something like 630 :lol:

The workload was fairly light. There was just quite a bit of reading around the topic in the first week or so, and then the report and poster presentation were main work after that. It's not much tbh! The reading seemed quite dense at the beginning but Google's your friend :wink:

Nah, not really. We were nearly always doing something. I was also extremely lucky to be doing it with two other girls from other schools and we had quite a bit of fun just wandering around the university and generally gossiping :mmm:

Definitely. It was an invaluable experience and I got the opportunity to ask PhD students and Professors alike on how they started off etc. It also helped me get all my uni offers! :woo:
It's one of things that look amazing on your UCAS ps because it's so competitive to get into!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Guys!

I've applied this year to do Chemistry in the catchment area: Scotland.
The deadline is on Friday, and I was wondering how soon I will hear back. Has anyone else applied here for chemistry and/or in Scotland?

Good Luck
Hey everyone!

Hey, what kind of things did you include in your personal statement? I don't even know where to start:s-smilie:
Original post by ScottishLass
Hi Guys!

I've applied this year to do Chemistry in the catchment area: Scotland.
The deadline is on Friday, and I was wondering how soon I will hear back. Has anyone else applied here for chemistry and/or in Scotland?

Good Luck

Hey, sorry for the really late response. You usually hear back about your outcome just before or after Easter :yep: I remember my interview took place some time before then
Original post by lubna1998
Hey, what kind of things did you include in your personal statement? I don't even know where to start:s-smilie:

Just talk about why you want to do the placement, what areas you're interested in, and stuff you've done related to science so far :yep:
Reply 6
Hey, sorry for the really late response. You usually hear back about your outcome just before or after Easter :yep: I remember my interview took place some time before then

Just talk about why you want to do the placement, what areas you're interested in, and stuff you've done related to science so far :yep:

Just sent off my application and my teacher finished my reference. I hope I get in!

I wish the best of luck to anyone else applying.
Original post by Yesitisi
Just sent off my application and my teacher finished my reference. I hope I get in!

I wish the best of luck to anyone else applying.

Good luck!
Hi guys, I'm also applying! I have a problem though, I go to a private school, so I'm not sure if there is any point in applying, as I still have to source my own project :frown: can someone please explain to me if there is any advantages for me to apply? Thanks!
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi guys, I'm also applying! I have a problem though, I go to a private school, so I'm not sure if there is any point in applying, as I still have to source my own project :frown: can someone please explain to me if there is any advantages for me to apply? Thanks!

Hey, while you may have to source your own project, your coordinator may give you suggestions :smile: One of the other people I had my placement with was from a private school and she had no problem getting in
Hey, while you may have to source your own project, your coordinator may give you suggestions :smile: One of the other people I had my placement with was from a private school and she had no problem getting in

Oh, so coordinator will help me!! :biggrin: Thank you so much, I should be submitting my application soon!! :smile::awesome:

Nice! I did Nuffield like 2 years ago when I was in year 12, luckily for me my project also got into the national science engineering competition :wink: I'll definitely recommend it, it takes you to places!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
When do most people normally hear back whether they've got on it or not? :smile:
Original post by mp1998
When do most people normally hear back whether they've got on it or not? :smile:

On the website it says they will consider your application after the deadline has passed
I just got an email yesterday saying I've been shortlisted for the biochemistry research placement in Coventry, and I have my interview next week :smile: not sure what to expect but I'm hopeful! I'm still a bit lost to what exactly the research placement's about because you don't find out until your first week of the placement.
They'd definitely want you to be fairly strong in all those areas, but the most important thing is showing that you're passionate for science and are really considering a career in it in the future. Generally, yeah, they'd like to see some top grades etc and a nice ps

Don't worry! Mine was something like 630 :lol:

The workload was fairly light. There was just quite a bit of reading around the topic in the first week or so, and then the report and poster presentation were main work after that. It's not much tbh! The reading seemed quite dense at the beginning but Google's your friend :wink:

Nah, not really. We were nearly always doing something. I was also extremely lucky to be doing it with two other girls from other schools and we had quite a bit of fun just wandering around the university and generally gossiping :mmm:

Definitely. It was an invaluable experience and I got the opportunity to ask PhD students and Professors alike on how they started off etc. It also helped me get all my uni offers! :woo:
It's one of things that look amazing on your UCAS ps because it's so competitive to get into!

I have my interview next week and I was wondering whether you can give me a bit of advice on what sort of questions to expect? Also, when do you find out what your research project is based on? If all goes to plan, I'm hopefully starting the biochemistry research placement, I'm slightly nervous to what to expect because the website doesn't tell you much about the courses too.
Hey everyone!

That sounds amazing! I'm applying in the north west so I'd love to be able to work at the University of Manchester:biggrin: fingers crossed!

May I ask what degree(s) you applied for?
Reply 17
I just got rejected. I'm bit gutted to be honest. :frown:

Does anybody know any other placements/schemes I could get involved in over the summer?
Original post by mp1998
I just got rejected. I'm bit gutted to be honest. :frown:

Does anybody know any other placements/schemes I could get involved in over the summer?

I'm so sorry :frown: can I ask what you applied for and in what region? I'm still waiting for a reply and the wait is killing me

I'm not sure about other placements but some universities might still offer some summer school things for a week, it's something else to add on a personal statement I guess. Hopefully someone else here can give you some other suggestions!
Reply 19
Original post by h8skoooooool
I'm so sorry :frown: can I ask what you applied for and in what region? I'm still waiting for a reply and the wait is killing me

I'm not sure about other placements but some universities might still offer some summer school things for a week, it's something else to add on a personal statement I guess. Hopefully someone else here can give you some other suggestions!

Biochemistry in Cheshire region :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest