The Student Room Group

Can a guy and a girl truly be just friends?

Scroll to see replies

wish it did, I thought it did until I found out one of my closest male friends had caught the feels for me, our friendship sucked for ages after that.
Have you been sexually attracted to every person you have ever met? And has every person you have ever met been sexually attracted to you?

The obvious answer is no, therefore the possibility that you can just be friends is very obviously there.
Reply 62
Ok but here's another juicy question...

Would you let you partner have a best friend of the opposite sex? (Or I guess same sex if you're gay... I don't even know how to rephrase this for trangenders?)
if one is totally ****ing ugly yea
Original post by LVRG

Would you let you partner have a best friend of the opposite sex? (Or I guess same sex if you're gay... I don't even know how to rephrase this for trangenders?)

****kkk no

If they decide to have one any way, then I know that either they don't take the relationship seriously, value them over me or are just naive as ****
Original post by mkap
its my fave oldish bollywood film...get ready to cry haha

Someone started chopping onions when the Anjali #1 saw Rahul's message :frown:
Reply 66
Original post by UWS
Without either person catching feelings at any point in time?

Read up on this discussion the other day and it was very interesting.

I think it is possible but I also think that the closer a guy and a girl get in terms of a friendship, the more likely one of them will start to catch feelings. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have at least a slight crush on any of my close female friends...

Yes, Leonardo and Kate winslet
Reply 67
Original post by espicton98
wish it did, I thought it did until I found out one of my closest male friends had caught the feels for me, our friendship sucked for ages after that.

How did you find out? Did he tell you directly?
Reply 68
Original post by donutellme
****kkk no

If they decide to have one any way, then I know that either they don't take the relationship seriously, value them over me or are just naive as ****

I agree actually... some might say this is an insecurity thing, what would you say to that?
Original post by LVRG
I agree actually... some might say this is an insecurity thing, what would you say to that?

Is it insecure to consider risks?

There's 2 parts to it. Security and appropriateness.

If there aren't any guys/girls in there (close) social circle, then the chance of unfaithfulness or jealousy drastically decreases.

In a committed relationship (marriage, engagement, very serious relationships, etc), I really don't consider it appropriate to have close friends of the opposite sex. Partly for the reason above, but there are even more reasons than that. A man shouldn't be providing for anyone other than their significant other, nor should a woman be entertaining anyone else.

You may call me old fashioned, which would be fair, but this works.

Before anyone calls me a draconian dictator who should go to hell because I'm Hitler: I would never force anyone to give up their friends. I would only be with someone who does it because it's right, because they choose to, for similar reasons.

PS: by friends I'm referring to CLOSE friends. People you'd regularly talk to or hang out with and stuff. Distant friends you talk to when you see them are both unpreventable and understandable.
Reply 70
Original post by LVRG

Yes? If they made me choose between my friends and my partner, they are obviously not the sort of person I want to be with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
How did you find out? Did he tell you directly?

not at first, his friends all told me and it kind of became common knowledge, then he decided to tell me after I had had too much too drunk so my response wasn't very sensitive
Reply 72
I used to think so... But almost all my male friends, even the ones I thought were definitely 'just friends', have tried it on at some point. I think in most cases boys aren't satisfied with just being friends with a girl, they'll almost always want to sleep with you.
I've been in the situation where I've had to end a friendship because he wanted more, I didn't and the whole thing was just difficult for me.

Most of my friends are male and it's rare for me to actually be attracted to them.
No. Most guys secretly want to **** the girl.
TaintedLight will welcome any sexual advances from his female acquaintances as long as they make the first move 🗿

Disclaimer: none of my lady friends are heavy in the kgs or stinky or sick in the head.
Original post by UWS
Without either person catching feelings at any point in time?

Read up on this discussion the other day and it was very interesting.

I think it is possible but I also think that the closer a guy and a girl get in terms of a friendship, the more likely one of them will start to catch feelings. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have at least a slight crush on any of my close female friends...

Only if the girls BMI is over 28.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending