The Student Room Group

Woman is verbally attacking me because I am Muslim

So because of my Islamic dress, a woman that lives near me has been verbally attacking me... I was walking down the road and saw a sad looking woman so I smiled at her to which she shouted 'bogger off'. I was taken aback and moved away from her and carried on walking. The next time I saw her, I tried not to keep eye contact but she glared at me and said **** OFF. She took her time glaring at me and walked towards me as if she was going to do something. I was on the end of the pavement so was really scared she was going to push me into the main road, as I was on a maid road with lots of cars coming. I saw her a third time when I was running for the train, i managed to see where she lives because she was standing at her doorstep with her usual demented look, glaring at me. She didnt have the chance to say anything this time because I was running for the train. The fourth time i saw her, I saw her from a distance so she couldnt see me. Anyway, now I'm thinking of reporting her to the police. At first I was scared and thought this might anger her even more, and because she looks like a tramp and a psycho, Idk what shes capable of. So what would you do if you were me? I've warned my family of her because my sister and mum dress islamically too...Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm more curious about where you get the idea that its because you're a muslim? Unless I'm missing something how do you know its because of that?
Reply 2
Why do you think it's because you're Muslim though? She's also barely done anything to you, practically nothing other than looking and sounding mean, but she could have just been in a bad mood. Not really sure what you want to report her to the police for.
Original post by Anonymous
So because of my Islamic dress, a woman that lives near me has been verbally attacking me... I was walking down the road and saw a sad looking woman so I smiled at her to which she shouted 'bogger off'. I was taken aback and moved away from her and carried on walking. The next time I saw her, I tried not to keep eye contact but she glared at me and said **** OFF. She took her time glaring at me and walked towards me as if she was going to do something. I was on the end of the pavement so was really scared she was going to push me into the main road, as I was on a maid road with lots of cars coming. I saw her a third time when I was running for the train, i managed to see where she lives because she was standing at her doorstep with her usual demented look, glaring at me. She didnt have the chance to say anything this time because I was running for the train. The fourth time i saw her, I saw her from a distance so she couldnt see me. Anyway, now I'm thinking of reporting her to the police. At first I was scared and thought this might anger her even more, and because she looks like a tramp and a psycho, Idk what shes capable of. So what would you do if you were me? I've warned my family of her because my sister and mum dress islamically too...Thanks :smile:

Not necessarily because you're muslim since she hasn't made any racist remarks (still rude though). How long has it been? If it hasn't been too long and isn't escalating any further than rude looks i'd just try to avoid he for a while and see how it goes. Try not to look intimidated cos tbh she's probably just trying to get a reaction out of you. And obviously don't do anything silly like shitting in her mailbox even if it is tempting to give her a taste of her own medicine. :P

If it persists or escalates then contact the police or council. It's probably just an annoying and grumpy person trying to get a reaction out of you. She'll probably get bored eventually and move onto the next poor sod who tries to smile at her. If you think you might want to go to the police with it later it may help to keep a record of encounters. Small scle things are often only bothered with if it can be shown it's long term and harassing. Unfortionately disputes like this will often be ignored unless evidence (like video) can be shown.
Reply 4
Slap her face then...

Just kidding of course - report it to the police if you think it's getting too much now (which it appears you do). A warning will be enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by aquafresh92
I'm more curious about where you get the idea that its because you're a muslim? Unless I'm missing something how do you know its because of that?

I thought some might say that... well the second time I saw her I was waiting on the pavement to use the cash machine and she was crossing the road and walking normally past everyone else not saying anything...I was watching her from a distance. There were quite a few people because as I said it was on the maid road... and then lo and behold the minute she saw me she suddenly flipped and stared at me for ages and then swore at me. So it's hard to think there's any other reason that she's targeting me other than the way I dress. I live in South East London so there's a lot of different races and everyone looks different yet she targets me only.
Reply 6
why else would a close minded person verbally attack someone? its either bc of OP's race or religion.
Reply 7
Not necessarily because you're muslim since she hasn't made any racist remarks (still rude though). How long has it been? If it hasn't been too long and isn't escalating any further than rude looks i'd just try to avoid he for a while and see how it goes. Try not to look intimidated cos tbh she's probably just trying to get a reaction out of you. And obviously don't do anything silly like shitting in her mailbox even if it is tempting to give her a taste of her own medicine. :P

If it persists or escalates then contact the police or council. It's probably just an annoying and grumpy person trying to get a reaction out of you. She'll probably get bored eventually and move onto the next poor sod who tries to smile at her. If you think you might want to go to the police with it later it may help to keep a record of encounters. Small scle things are often only bothered with if it can be shown it's long term and harassing. Unfortionately disputes like this will often be ignored unless evidence (like video) can be shown.

Please see my above post regarding the bit in bold.

But if things were to escalate and she was waiting on her doorstep for me one day and then pulls out a knife (she genuinely looks psycho enough) and me or any other Muslim was to get hurt? I'm sure there are cameras to show that she was harassing me... but Idk what if the police give her a warning and she gets even more psycho.. Idk what to do in situations like this, the police won't be there to stop her if she was to do something. I will most likely see her again and its pissing me off how someone can get away with intimidating somebody like that, I don't want her to get away with her behaviour.
Reply 8
Original post by *Stefan*
Slap her face then...

Just kidding of course - report it to the police if you think it's getting too much now (which it appears you do). A warning will be enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks I might just do that, my friends have been encouraging me to report her aswell
Reply 9
Original post by Nadile
Why do you think it's because you're Muslim though? She's also barely done anything to you, practically nothing other than looking and sounding mean, but she could have just been in a bad mood. Not really sure what you want to report her to the police for.

So she's in bad mood all the time then? Because as I mentioned she's done this more than once... and since she lives near me I might see her again and god knows what she'll do this time, Idk about you but I'd rather a psycho looking person like that was kept in control.
......walked towards me as if she was going to do something.

.................really scared she was going to push me into the main road,

................with her usual demented look, glaring at me.

................from a distance so she couldnt see me.

................thought this might anger her even more,

................and because she looks like a tramp and a psycho, Idk what shes capable of.

................I've warned my family of her because my sister and mum dress islamically too...Thanks :smile:

This woman could equally have mental problems and would do the same to anyone who offered help. She could be on drugs or an alcoholic.

I'd say you seem somewhat paranoid - based on an 'interpretation' of your comments and not knowing anything else about you.

Spoiler

Do what every other sensible person would do and avoid her. If she deliberately walks up to you and verbally abuses you then report it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
This woman could equally have mental problems and would do the same to anyone who offered help. She could be on drugs or an alcoholic.

I'd say you seem somewhat paranoid - based on an 'interpretation' of your comments and not knowing anything else about you.

Spoiler

Do what every other sensible person would do and avoid her. If she deliberately walks up to you and verbally abuses you then report it.

She already has? :s-smilie:
She already has? :s-smilie:
But she did not use 'racist' language which is why you cannot jump to a conclusion it was because of your dress code.

If it happens again, report it and keep a diary of all incidents. She may already be known to the authorities.
best to try and avoid this nutty woman. she may have dementia or sth.
That's not how free speech works and even if it was, threatening behaviour/harassment isn't allowed under our free speech laws.
Reply 15
So she's in bad mood all the time then? Because as I mentioned she's done this more than once... and since she lives near me I might see her again and god knows what she'll do this time, Idk about you but I'd rather a psycho looking person like that was kept in control.

Except she's not done ANYTHING to you. Not even verbal abuse (no, telling someone to **** off is not abuse, and certainly doesn't make her a 'psycho'). You can't report someone for giving you mean looks, and while it's a possibility (as much as anything else), I still don't see why the assumption that it's because you're Muslim.

Grow a pair and get over it. Mean looks aren't gonna kill you. Walking past you is not an offence. If she actually starts threatening you, or makes physical advances, THAT'S when you should go to report her. Right now you just sound like you're overly paranoid.
Original post by Nadile
Except she's not done ANYTHING to you. Not even verbal abuse (no, telling someone to **** off is not abuse, and certainly doesn't make her a 'psycho':wink:. You can't report someone for giving you mean looks, and while it's a possibility (as much as anything else), I still don't see why the assumption that it's because you're Muslim.

Grow a pair and get over it. Mean looks aren't gonna kill you. Walking past you is not an offence. If she actually starts threatening you, or makes physical advances, THAT'S when you should go to report her. Right now you just sound like you're overly paranoid.

I'm not so much worried about what she's done, I'm more worried about what she can do. I've seen her and imo she looks psycho/mental, her legs were bare on a cold day and she walks strangely and slowly like she's severely depressed. Hence why I smiled at her the first time, I thought she was sad or something. But soz if my apprehension annoyed you.
Please tell me you're joking. This woman does not look innocent she looks evil.
Reply 18
She attacked you because she is possibly uneducated and possibly not intelligent
Reply 19
Racially motivated or not, its completely out of order. Report her to your local police.

People on here may not think this is a 'crime' as she hasn't taken it to any extreme but everyone has the right to walk down their street without being shouted at. This woman could be considered as committing assault, being a public nuisance, ect. Just ignoring what has happened doesn't promote any change, it allows her to keep doing what she is doing.
Also, if you notify the police now they are more likely to be helpful if this happens again or becomes more serious as they will have record of it being a persistant problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending