Original post by Student403
:five:

PRSOM :h:

Original post by Duke Glacia
thnx very helpful !

no problem :smile:
Good luck.
This Blog is about an Engineers attempt to tackle the most feared maths Exam on Earth STEP to make his Cambridge Dream Come True

Background:
Long story but after getting rejected by Cambridge last year I decided to Not give up and to reapply. And this year I have and offer from Christ's College Cambridge to study Engineering.

Offer:
1 in STEP 1

So far:
I really found STEP difficult initially so I decided to try the STEP Correspondence course. It was indeed very useful. And by the encouragement and support of my mathmo buddies I am able to solve at least few questions now. Finished papers 1996~2006.

Mocks:
STEP 1 2004 104/120 S
STEP 1 2005 97/120 S
STEP 1 2006 20/120 U
STEP 1 2007 72/120 1

From Today I am starting my STEP 2 PREP.

Here I come STEP 2

thats me getting kicked by STEP:tongue:

Ah, STEP. Those were the days! :tongue:

But with a strong work ethic, determination and plenty of self-belief, you'll have no trouble meeting your offer! All the very best! :thumbsup:
UPDATE:
Yesterday was not a productive Day and I highly regret it.(1.5days delay)
Woke up at 2:30pm. Now going to the Library.

Plan for the day

start STEP 2 2000(at least 4 questions)

Start S2 chapter 1

Hope I can stick to this plan!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Update:
So I have finished my first STEP 2 past paper just now (Yr 2000,I left one mechanics question which I do not understand).
It feels like a miracle. Got helps and Hints on Q5&Q2(thanks to @Zacken). Imo I found the Q5 most difficult and hard to understand. I really need to improve my knowledge on limit. So overall the I found the paper hard and challenging but at the same time interesting.
I havent started S2 yet so i really have to work hard on that.
Its exactly 4 months from tommorow (STEP exam).

Todays Plan:

Start STEP 2 1999(try to finish the pure ones if possible)

Finish STEP 2 2000 Q 10

Study limits

Brush up my trig skills

(edited 8 years ago)
Nice to see you're getting on with it Duke!
Original post by enaayrah
Nice to see you're getting on with it Duke!

Thnx ena.
Reply 28
\
It feels like a miracle. Got helps and Hints on Q5&Q2(thanks to @Zacken). Imo I found the Q5 most difficult and hard to understand. I really need to improve my knowledge on limit. So overall the I found the paper hard and challenging but at the same time interesting.

I thought Q5 was by far the easiest question on that paper. :dontknow:
Original post by Zacken
I thought Q5 was by far the easiest question on that paper. :dontknow:

.................maybe because of the time i did it 5:30 in the morning stayed awake till en:tongue:
Hey everyone I havent been posting here for a while but I will update.
UPDATE:
Finished STEP 2 1999 &1998
I found the mechanics section of the 1998 pretty tough. But the pures were pretty manageable. I particularly liked Q4 (complex numbers) as i could approach the problem using simple diagrams.

Today I did a mock as someone suggested me to try 2011 STEP 1 as mock. I attempted

Q1: Very simple algebraic question. 26min
20/20
Q2: Integration question. I found this question interesting but very easy. Took me 16 min. The substitutions are pretty obvious for the first 2 but may not be for the last one.
20/20

Q4: A simple diagram really saved me. I didnt get the second part as I was confused whether angle TFP=angle TFQ
So 16/20

Q5: A very similar question appeared in 2006 which I couldnt do. But this time I felt it was more approchable. Lost one mark for not drawing y=x graph.
19/20

Q8: Just showed that m>n:tongue: and I thought initially this question was approachable but i gave it up to focus on mechanics.
2/20

Q9:I found out upto what tan theta = then I used R=u^2sin2a/g directly to find the ans for the second part. But actually it costed me two marks just to find the formulae for R. Then i ran into some really messy algebra which I gave up.Tbh i was fascinated by the quadratic eqn approach to the second part never even thought.
11/20

So Overall 88/120 I just scraped an S. Quite happy but I shouldnt be. I must admit that practicing STEP 2(3 papers) has significantly helped me in STEP 1.Moreover I am happy that Im betta at time management than before.
Thanks to Zacken and shamika for all his help and hints.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31

Good job.
Original post by Zacken
Good job.

zack how much would u award for 2001 STEP 2 Q 9 upto showing α=βv22+g\alpha = \frac{\beta v^2}{2} +g ?
Reply 33
zack how much would u award for 2001 STEP 2 Q 9 upto showing α=βv22+g\alpha = \frac{\beta v^2}{2} +g ?

15-16.
Original post by Zacken
15-16.

no way srsly ?!?!?!:eek:

thnx alot
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
no way srsly ?!?!?!:eek:

You do mean "including alpha = blah" right? The very last part of the question doesn't have much to it, to be honest.
Original post by Zacken
You do mean "including alpha = blah" right? The very last part of the question doesn't have much to it, to be honest.

yes the alpha blah blah part. Thaz gud newx m8 ,Did mock
UPDATE:
So i finished i order

STEP 2 2001 got 93/120 S

STEP 3 1996 was a very interesting and super nice paper. Could solve it almost completely

STEP 3 1997- Totally hopeless. Tbh the questions arent tough but sounds like greek to me maily because it coveres FP2 and FP3. This paper really affected my self confidence.

STEP 2 2002 52 /120 2. Attempted Q1 20/20,Q2 4/20,Q3 20/20, Q9 8/20

(edited 8 years ago)
You go lad!!!!!
Reply 39
Original post by Number Nine
You go lad!!!!!

hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending