The Student Room Group

I think I'm in love with an older guy

Hi

I'm 17 and I'm in love with a guy whose 30. I want us to go public but he's hesitating,hes worried about what people will say.

what shall i do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why is everyone so obsessed with being public these days? Just enjoy the privacy.
Reply 2
why shouldnt we go out places together as a couple, I want to
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I'm 17 and I'm in love with a guy whose 30. I want us to go public but he's hesitating,hes worried about what people will say.

what shall i do?

You are both of legal age.

It is no one's business but your own.

Enjoy, and have fun.
Reply 4
Original post by apronedsamurai
You are both of legal age.

It is no one's business but your own.

Enjoy, and have fun.

Thats what im saying but he says theres a difrence between what s legal and what people think or say.
If I were you I'd at least wait until you're 18. At this point you aren't even legal (is it different in the UK?), and therefore I fully understand his misgivings.

Furthermore, 13 years is quite a gap. You should be aware that until you are in your mid/late twenties, many people will likely react negatively towards your relationship with a man in his thirties. It's human nature, alas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Desideria
If I were you I'd at least wait until you're 18. At this point you aren't even legal, and therefore I fully understand his misgivings.

Furthermore, 13 years is quite a gap. You should be aware that until you are in your mid/late twenties, many people will likely react negatively towards your relationship with a man in his thirties. It's human nature, alas.

Legal?

16 is the age of consent in the UK immaterial of gender or sexual orientation.
Reply 7
Original post by Desideria
If I were you I'd at least wait until you're 18. At this point you aren't even legal (is it different in the UK?), and therefore I fully understand his misgivings.

We are in UK so it's legal yes
Hi

what shall i do?

Do your parents even know about it? If so what was their responses?
Reply 9
Do your parents even know about it? If so what was their responses?

No its none of their business they dont care what i do anyway

Okay, sorry. I wasn't thinking in terms of age of consent. However, the fact that you aren't yet a legal adult still makes him extremely vulnerable to any claims of underage rape or sexual assault, not that I am accusing anyone on here. It's just something people in that situation generally worry about. Even rumours can be vicious.

Nevertheless, I'd wait a while. As hard as that may seem. Then again, I am very cautious, so you may disagree.
if you're happy then so be it, I just always question why men of that age want to be with someone so young... People will talk regardless whether you're 30 or 3 years apart so you may as well do what you want. Just remember to look out for yourself.
No its none of their business they dont care what i do anyway

But they would find out anyway? how long have you been together?
What 30 year old is going after 17 year olds??
Original post by Blondie987

someone who cant get 15 year olds
Reply 15
Original post by Blondie987

He is not ...
The 17 year old is going after a 30 year old if I read it well ...
Original post by TeeEm
He is not ...
The 17 year old is going after a 30 year old if I read it well ...

Well in that case op, drop it if he's got any sense he won't pursue it and you'll be better off imo
Reply 17

Well technically, it may not be. It's a bit funny but while age of consent is 16. If someone under 18 sends pictures or sexual messages to someone over 18 and they are found in the possession of the over 18. They may be charged for having paedophilic possessions even if you can legally have sex. So I would at least wait until you're 18. It's not that long.
To the OP: I understand. Relating with someone is difficult and, regardless of age gap, if you find someone that is a good thing.

But if you're dating someone and his friends, family and nobody public knows - You aren't actually dating him.
Hi

what shall i do?

Respect his opinion and wait until you're both comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending