The Student Room Group

How to talk to someone

Someone who's depressed, and has absolutely no friends or family members to talk to. Who can I talk to? Also suffering from severe social anxiety I find it impossible to step out and make friends and trust me I really have tried :frown:. At the age of 22 I feel like I'm going to spend the rest of my life within these 4 walls and probably go insane. If anyone's out their reading this and feeling similar, I'd love to just have a chat x
Reply 1
Dont be shy, ask fellow people in your class how the work is going and just chat generally or if you find that doesnt work, just go to clubs and meet like minded people. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Someone who's depressed, and has absolutely no friends or family members to talk to. Who can I talk to? Also suffering from severe social anxiety I find it impossible to step out and make friends and trust me I really have tried :frown:. At the age of 22 I feel like I'm going to spend the rest of my life within these 4 walls and probably go insane. If anyone's out their reading this and feeling similar, I'd love to just have a chat x

Hi. I'm sorry that you've been going through a hard time recently. Are you in contact with any mental health services at all? If you aren't, I recommend that you get in touch with them. They will help.

I am happy to chat with you. I'm always willing to listen. PM me at any time. If you want to talk to someone on the phone, try calling the Samaritans. They are trained to listen to these problems and to offer support. They will be able to help. You aren't alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't overthink it
Reply 4
talk to me :smile:

Hey! I have depression as well (fighting with it though), and no family members!
I don't have social anxiety, but I'm pretty easy to talk to. :smile: I understand how you feel and I know it is difficult to step over the comfort lines and go out and talk to people.
If you want to, message me and we can chat. :smile:
Original post by ikhan94
Dont be shy, ask fellow people in your class how the work is going and just chat generally or if you find that doesnt work, just go to clubs and meet like minded people. Good luck :smile:

SOCIAL ANXIETY. Did you even read the post? xD You will not find this person in a club. More like a library, where it's quite and people can't talk to one another.
Reply 7
Original post by Fickschlitten
Open your mouth

Say words

If it were that easy, I don't think the OP would be asking for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
If it were that easy, I don't think the OP would be asking for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because in practice, it really boils down to that.
Reply 9
Original post by Fickschlitten
Because in practice, it really boils down to that.

Social anxiety disorder? Kinda makes talking to people hard. Depression doesn't help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saule1116
SOCIAL ANXIETY. Did you even read the post? xD You will not find this person in a club. More like a library, where it's quite and people can't talk to one another.

Whats the difference....
Original post by ikhan94
Whats the difference....

Oh dear...
Clubs are loud, dark, a lot of touching going on, people are drunk, misbehave and stuff like that.

Libraries are quiet, no unnecessary contact of any kind, just so much different.
Maybe you might want to look up social anxiety to understand how wrong you were with your "go clubbing" suggestion. :/

UPDATE: just to be sure, did you mean night clubs or social clubs? xD I interpreted it as night clubs..
(edited 8 years ago)

I actually suffered from social anxiety when i was about 14, 15. I'm a cool, confident guy nowadays (I wish anyway :tongue:) but i still feel anxious from time to time. You just have to get out of that perception and feeling of social anxiety and just learn not to give a f*** Thats what I do every day. You should look at a few self help books and just put yourself out there! Social anxiety is just a thing that's made up in your head and isn't worth not living your life to the max. Take baby steps. Make eye contact, try starting conversations, go to the gym, improve your self image and just put yourself out there. The tsr community is great you can talk to all of us! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest