The Student Room Group

Should tackling in Rugby be banned in schools?

Apparently there have been many concussions and injuries.

Scroll to see replies

also scrums should be banned... they result in many life-changing injuries.
Original post by Damien96
Apparently there have been many concussions and injuries.

I'm not sure that Rugby, which is a town in Warwickshire, has a record of tackling anything, though its council might disagree.

The sport named after it, rugby, should not ban tackling, though it could introduce compulsory head protection and uncontested scrums.
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
also scrums should be banned... they result in many life-changing injuries.

I'm in two minds but I think younger kids should be maybe stick to Touch Rugby.
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
I'm not sure that Rugby, which is a town in Warwickshire, has a record of tackling anything, though its council might disagree.

The sport named after it, rugby, should not ban tackling, though it could introduce compulsory head protection and uncontested scrums.

Head protection would help but not apparently all that much.
I'm in two minds but I think younger kids should be maybe stick to Touch Rugby.

tbh Touching is problematic in many ways ?
Reply 6
http://thesatedire.com/sport/rugby-nhs-dangerous-tackling-marketing-deal/

It's all a conspiracy apparently. I thought this was serious at first.
Reply 7
tbh Touching is problematic in many ways ?

How so?
How so?

in today's society touching young people is less and less acceptable; the sport community should be aware of the dangers.
Reply 9
in today's society touching young people is less and less acceptable; the sport community should be aware of the dangers.

Hahaha. It's OK, I'm not a DJ from the 1970's, I can work with kids.
Hahaha. It's OK, I'm not a DJ from the 1970's, I can work with kids.

now then now then let's have less of that loose ball at the back lads eurgh eurgh eurgh eurgh eurgh
also the balls they use are quite unyielding. get one of those on your cranium at 30mph and you know about it.
it would make far more sense to have the same size of ball but made of foam ?
Banning tackling in rugby?! Please please please tell me this is satirical. If you're worried about risk of injury, don't play!! Why take it away from those who wanna play? It's like the busy bodies who banned British bulldogs in playgrounds, utter madness.
I hold a very unpopular view: I don't even think P.E. ought to be a subject in school. school is for learning, not exercise. kids should exercise on their own time. and kids aren't going to become reasonably healthier by doing P.E.
P.E. sports should be available at break and lunch time but not ass its own subject area
Reply 14
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Banning tackling in rugby?! Please please please tell me this is satirical. If you're worried about risk of injury, don't play!! Why take it away from those who wanna play? It's like the busy bodies who banned British bulldogs in playgrounds, utter madness.

Relax, it is only suggested for schools. I did post a satirical piece on it further up the thread but the question is an appropriate one.

We still played British Bulldog and didnt' do us any harm ..... apart from the screaming headaches and urges to kill.
Of course not
Reply 16
also the balls they use are quite unyielding. get one of those on your cranium at 30mph and you know about it.
it would make far more sense to have the same size of ball but made of foam ?

How about Tickle Rugby, where the players have to tickle the ball off their opponents?
How about Tickle Rugby, where the players have to tickle the ball off their opponents?

tickling can lead to other things :afraid:

it is a gateway activity :naughty:
Reply 18
Original post by sleepysnooze
I hold a very unpopular view: I don't even think P.E. ought to be a subject in school. school is for learning, not exercise. kids should exercise on their own time. and kids aren't going to become reasonably healthier by doing P.E.
P.E. sports should be available at break and lunch time but not ass its own subject area

I'm not sure which sports should be taught but surely exercise is an important habit for kids to learn?

Otherwise we will be teachign a generation of sedated office workers with obesity problems.
Reply 19
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Of course not

I think I agree with you for teens but for younger kids?

Quick Reply

Latest