The Student Room Group

Should tackling in Rugby be banned in schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damien96
I think I agree with you for teens but for younger kids?

At my school tackling started from year 5 and up (so for boys 11+) but before then it was all touch which I think is fair. Young kids are roughly the same size so there's not that much risk of danger. It's once you get older that puberty kicks in where some problems can arise, but not that many to the extent that tackling should be banned
I'm not sure which sports should be taught but surely exercise is an important habit for kids to learn?

Otherwise we will be teachign a generation of sedated office workers with obesity problems.

lol exercise as a "learned habit", that's a new one.
Original post by Death Grips
Saw thread title and my first thought:

"ban tackling in rugby?.......Seriously, f*** this gay earth"

I think quite a few Rugby players are gay enough to oblige.

What on earth does 'gay' have to do with it?

No, I don't think it should be banned.
Reply 23
Original post by sleepysnooze
lol exercise as a "learned habit", that's a new one.

Looking at the size of some kids I think it is.
Reply 24
Original post by ivybridge
What on earth does 'gay' have to do with it?

No, I don't think it should be banned.

That is such a "Bi" thing to say.
No it's such a non-idiotic, normal, thing to say.

I mean seriously "bi"? Bi means two, if you mean 'bisexual' that means two genders. As such, what are you on about?

That is such a "Bi" thing to say.
Looking at the size of some kids I think it is.

surely kids *know* how to exercise yet simply choose not to? are you really comparing it to something like history or maths? how would a kid not know how to jog or play basketball? does P.E. really make you "good" at those sports in the first place or is it simply there to make kids run about for a while? in the grand scheme of things, if it's for the purpose of forcing kids to run about for a while, how much healthier do you consider them for taking part in PE? I used to be a fat kid, and I had to do PE - why wasn't I healthy? I just don't understand!
Reply 27
surely kids *know* how to exercise yet simply choose not to? are you really comparing it to something like history or maths? how would a kid not know how to jog or play basketball? does P.E. really make you "good" at those sports in the first place or is it simply there to make kids run about for a while? in the grand scheme of things, if it's for the purpose of forcing kids to run about for a while, how much healthier do you consider them for taking part in PE? I used to be a fat kid, and I had to do PE - why wasn't I healthy? I just don't understand!

No I am not saying that, why would you think I was?

Are you saying exercise is not important or habit forming?
Another nail in the coffin of the U.K. school experience, which has been going downhill since schools started banning British Bulldog. There's nothing like spear tackling your friends on concrete playgrounds.
Reply 30
Ffs Rugby is a man sport, men take risks, get in danger and compete with strength, take your pansy ass feminism elsewhere
No I am not saying that, why would you think I was?

Are you saying exercise is not important or habit forming?

why would PE be habit forming? is maths habit forming? is english language habit forming? or music? surely kids will participate in what they *enjoy* doing? do kids really need to be forced to do basketball or football once or twice a week for pretty much every year of their life in school to realise that this is something they either do or don't enjoy doing? considering something like music, I have been playing music for almost half my life, and there's no way I will attempt to claim that I do it because I learned about how it was enjoyable from school. the subject I enjoyed the most in school (or a level, at least) was politics - why wasn't politics on the menu? surely politics, let's say, is more important than PE in terms of teaching people, informationally, how significant voting and participating politically is for the sake of the country? how is playing hockey or netball significant for the country when it doesn't make people in society healthier?
I hold a very unpopular view: I don't even think P.E. ought to be a subject in school. school is for learning, not exercise. kids should exercise on their own time. and kids aren't going to become reasonably healthier by doing P.E.
P.E. sports should be available at break and lunch time but not ass its own subject area

I agree with this, it's a complete waste of time. If there was any educational aspect to it (teaching about health, for example) then it might be useful, but there's not. It's just playing sports.

I might be biased though. As someone with Aspergers I hated having to interact with people in PE, it put me off sport completely. At the very least it should be optional.
I hold a very unpopular view: I don't even think P.E. ought to be a subject in school. school is for learning, not exercise. kids should exercise on their own time. and kids aren't going to become reasonably healthier by doing P.E.
P.E. sports should be available at break and lunch time but not ass its own subject area

I'd go the other way on this one: PE should be taught more often. Like, every single day for 45 minutes at the beginning of the day or something. Education is all-encompassing, and encouraging an active lifestyle is just wholly beneficial.
Original post by JordanL_
As someone with Aspergers I hated having to interact with people in PE, it put me off sport completely. At the very least it should be optional.

Interacting with people is half the reason you have to do it. It's building team skills etc.

in the grand scheme of things, if it's for the purpose of forcing kids to run about for a while, how much healthier do you consider them for taking part in PE? I used to be a fat kid, and I had to do PE - why wasn't I healthy? I just don't understand!

I bet you'd have been even less healthy without being made to exercise for at least a short period of time every week.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Interacting with people is half the reason you have to do it. It's building team skills etc.

I bet you'd have been even less healthy without being made to exercise for at least a short period of time every week.

yeah, about 0.000000000001% healthier
why would I care about being 0.000000000000001% healthier when I could be learning about something that is necessary? like I said in another post, kids in school should be learning about politics - the turnout rates would be higher if these kids in school grew up knowing *exactly* what the heck they were voting for
Reply 36
Original post by whorace
Ffs Rugby is a man sport, men take risks, get in danger and compete with strength, take your pansy ass feminism elsewhere

Yeah feminists! Take your arses elsewhere with the gays and ummmm the Mongolians. I thought I'd add them as you seemed to be attacking random groups of perceived minorities.
Reply 37
yeah, about 0.000000000001% healthier
why would I care about being 0.000000000000001% healthier when I could be learning about something that is necessary? like I said in another post, kids in school should be learning about politics - the turnout rates would be higher if these kids in school grew up knowing *exactly* what the heck they were voting for

Can't you do both? Be physically healthy and well educated? Exercise can be fun and breed confidence. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it but the benefits are well documented.
Reply 38
Yeah feminists! Take your arses elsewhere with the gays and ummmm the Mongolians. I thought I'd add them as you seemed to be attacking random groups of perceived minorities.

Lol ok nothing wrong with gays or Mongolians (and actually Mongols are very manly, horse riding is very common and the Mongols hold the title of largest land empire in history). It's the feminists because they emasculate everything with rubbish health and safety standards
Reply 39
Original post by Quantex
Another nail in the coffin of the U.K. school experience, which has been going downhill since schools started banning British Bulldog. There's nothing like spear tackling your friends on concrete playgrounds.

If you were really good at it you wouldn't get tackled.. I was a nimble little ****er.

Quick Reply