The Student Room Group

Laptop keeps making cracking noise?

Its on and off every 10 mins, just got it yesterday and its a really weird cracking noise, it appears to becoming from inside the laptop and its getting worse and worse, im kinda scared what is it? any ideas.
Reply 1
It could be the hard drive. Is it too loud? If it's soft, it's probably the hard drive...
Reply 2
Original post by Hamoody
It could be the hard drive. Is it too loud? If it's soft, it's probably the hard drive...

How can I fix it? Can i do it myself, and the noise is quite loud
Reply 3
Original post by SunDun111
How can I fix it? Can i do it myself, and the noise is quite loud

Actually if it is the hard drive, then the only way you can fix it is to replace the hard drive itself. However if it's not the hard drive, you'd be wasting time doing anything in that area.
Can you give me the specs for your laptop?
Reply 4
Original post by Hamoody
Actually if it is the hard drive, then the only way you can fix it is to replace the hard drive itself. However if it's not the hard drive, you'd be wasting time doing anything in that area.
Can you give me the specs for your laptop?

specs? And the noise is getting louder each time, its like someone is Spamming the keyboard and its crackling at the same time.
Are you noticing any performance symptoms?
What laptop is it?
What does the noise sound like - just crackling? Louder towards a particular region or anything, or when doing particular tasks?
Reply 6
Could possibly be your laptop fan spinning off the spindle every now and then and colliding with other things in there. Might be worth opening the case up and fixing a few stuff back into place.
Reply 7
Original post by hellodave5
Are you noticing any performance symptoms?
What laptop is it?
What does the noise sound like - just crackling? Louder towards a particular region or anything, or when doing particular tasks?

Is a HP Samsung Laptop have had it for over 3 years I think, It is louder toawrds the left hand side, its coming from the inside and just happens every 5-10 minutes, its like something is crackling and spammng my keyboard at the same time.
Is a HP Samsung Laptop have had it for over 3 years I think, It is louder toawrds the left hand side, its coming from the inside and just happens every 5-10 minutes, its like something is crackling and spammng my keyboard at the same time.

I'd probably get a new laptop if its had 3 years of heavy use. What I would do personally, if can afford to and it wasn't a super machine (assuming normal laptop).

Would probs have to take it into a repair shop for them to have a look.

Hopefully a computer sci person will come to your rescue and diagnose it.

From my limited knowledge, and as others have said, the moving parts of the fans and the hard disk memory drive are likely to develop some problems after a long time of intense use (and maybe moreso in laptops, but not sure).

I'm not sure how those problems could result in a spamming of your keyboard though - would it not be suggestive of a different problem? (computer peoples)
Reply 9
I'd probably get a new laptop if its had 3 years of heavy use. What I would do personally, if can afford to and it wasn't a super machine (assuming normal laptop).

Would probs have to take it into a repair shop for them to have a look.

Hopefully a computer sci person will come to your rescue and diagnose it.

From my limited knowledge, and as others have said, the moving parts of the fans and the hard disk memory drive are likely to develop some problems after a long time of intense use (and maybe moreso in laptops, but not sure).

I'm not sure how those problems could result in a spamming of your keyboard though - would it not be suggestive of a different problem? (computer peoples)

I think you misunderstood, I said it sounds like someone is spamming my keyboard but it crackles as well.
I think you misunderstood, I said it sounds like someone is spamming my keyboard but it crackles as well.

Sorry!
My guess too would be the HDD memory failing.
Reply 11
Sorry!
My guess too would be the HDD memory failing.

oh no, but its not even my laptop, my uncle gave me it to boroow, he kept it for a 2 years and Ive had it for a year :frown: Probs just going to take it to a repair shop.
oh no, but its not even my laptop, my uncle gave me it to boroow, he kept it for a 2 years and Ive had it for a year :frown: Probs just going to take it to a repair shop.

Wasn't your fault. It's oldish, and its a common problem.
I think can cost quite a bit for them to check and diagnose, and replace the part.
Just one of those things. If I used them all the time, my laptops only lasted me 3 years max. Even my old entry-level desktop. But my usage is rather high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending