The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry People!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Liam0324
In all honesty Chemistry A-level is difficult. I have taken a wide range of A-levels (Forensic Science, English Literature, Geography, Welsh Baccalaureate and Chemistry) so as an individual who is not coming from a strong scientific background (and when beginning A2 I had completed GCSE Science and Additional Science 3 years prior) I guess it will be largely more difficult for me than for others. However, I do find that the logic and mechanisms behind organic chemistry a serious amount easier than inorganic chemistry. Originally I found the maths difficult but after a few attempts and some memorising of my maths GCSE 2 years prior to AS chemistry, it came to me pretty quickly. I find it a really enjoyable subject and I love the practical aspects of it. I will be going on to study Chemistry at university. Is anybody else?

No i am studying Medicine
and i kind of wanted to find out how much organic/ inorganic chemistry is there in medicine
obviously I'm assuming more organic in pharmacology module but yeah mole calculations and stuff i can see coming up ugh
Original post by MevMev
No i am studying Medicine
and i kind of wanted to find out how much organic/ inorganic chemistry is there in medicine
obviously I'm assuming more organic in pharmacology module but yeah mole calculations and stuff i can see coming up ugh

I have friends who are studying Medicine and they say that there is a large amount of chemistry based maths, but there is not an overly large chemical content as such. They find there to an almost negligible amount of chemistry compared to biology. On the other hand, pharmacology modules feature a high organic chemistry content with some inorganic chemistry thrown in. Apparently, they find their pharmacology modules to be simpler (and more enjoyable) than the chemistry they had completed at A-level.
Reply 62
Original post by Liam0324
I have friends who are studying Medicine and they say that there is a large amount of chemistry based maths, but there is not an overly large chemical content as such. They find there to an almost negligible amount of chemistry compared to biology. On the other hand, pharmacology modules feature a high organic chemistry content with some inorganic chemistry thrown in. Apparently, they find their pharmacology modules to be simpler (and more enjoyable) than the chemistry they had completed at A-level.

aah thats sick thanks
yeah what i find weird is how chemistry is the compulsory required subject for medicine admission
but Bio is like not that emphasised albeit entirely makes up the whole of the Medical degree? lol
i just can't wait to start i miss studying that stuff :smile:
Original post by MevMev
aah thats sick thanks
yeah what i find weird is how chemistry is the compulsory required subject for medicine admission
but Bio is like not that emphasised albeit entirely makes up the whole of the Medical degree? lol
i just can't wait to start i miss studying that stuff :smile:

I think the lack of a requirement for Biology probably has something to do with the structure of the course. For example, some universities will teach all the biology content required within the first year. Whereas others will require you to have previous knowledge and will teach a larger Chemistry content. :smile:
Anybody struggling with A2 chemistry?

I recommend using goalby notes. These notes are amazeballs I have used them at AS combined with past papers and came out with a high A grade.
Goalby is decent, but imo chemguide is better for most topics simply because of the detail it goes into
Original post by MiriamSandhu
Anybody struggling with A2 chemistry?

I recommend using goalby notes. These notes are amazeballs I have used them at AS combined with past papers and came out with a high A grade.
Original post by samb1234
Goalby is decent, but imo chemguide is better for most topics simply because of the detail it goes into

Chemguide has been a life saver for me! It's definitely the reason I came out with an A at AS.
Original post by MevMev
The day after i received my crap AS results is when i started revising A2 whoever just asked
@thatcooldude2.0 ???:smile:

Ah ok thanks :smile: How are you finding it so far? Started past papers yet?
And yep it was me, accidentally deleted it (tsr isn't so great on my phone)
Reply 68
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Ah ok thanks :smile: How are you finding it so far? Started past papers yet?
And yep it was me, accidentally deleted it (tsr isn't so great on my phone)

lmfao haha have i started mate i finished long back
i have already achieved my A2 grades you see :smile:
Original post by MevMev

What was your motivation for medicine out of curiosity?
Reply 70
Original post by High Stakes
What was your motivation for medicine out of curiosity?

this is a really long story
i always wanted to do medicine from a very young age as i was always fascinated by how the human body works and disease and science has always amazed me
but during my GCSEs and A levels i had many doubts and considered a few other career paths (engineering, pharmacy, research scientist)
I guess what drew me to medicine was the practical application of science and being able to talk to lots of different types of ppl on a daily basis - thats something u won't get sitting in a lab
i like the diversity of medicine and the career progression and i like how much responsibility i have _ my decisions could ultimately save lives ( or take them away) but thats the kind of challenge that i look forward to albeit how stressful life as a Doctor is

man i just recited my interview performance to you lol:smile:
Original post by MevMev

Oh yeah, haha lucky! :smile:What did you get?
Reply 72
Oh yeah, haha lucky! :smile:What did you get?

A*AAb in Bio chemistry spanish and maths respectively
Original post by MevMev
A*AAb in Bio chemistry spanish and maths respectively

Congrats!! Woah A* in biol, any tips for that? I seem to be getting As/Bs in mocks but nowhere near A*s atm :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Congrats!! Woah A* in biol, any tips for that, I seem to be getting As/Bs in mocks but nowhere near A*s atm :colonhash:

memorise the mark scheme
practice practice practice
writing concise high yield answers with correct terminology is key
Original post by MevMev
memorise the mark scheme
practice practice practice
writing concise high yield answers with correct terminology is key

Thanks! :smile:
This is my second time doing A2 chemistry and I seem to be loving it more than before!

However..... the ISAs are looming and suddenly I can feel myself losing that love :cry2:
So has anyone done these bloody ISAs yet? Such a pain, they seemed to catch everyone out last year :|
Anyone done the rate of reaction one for aqa a2?
Why is a collision unlikely with more than 2 ions/particles?

Quick Reply

Latest