The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaziye
Do you have a specific topic for the PEE paragraph

Original post by xxvine
Democrac & Elections

I just want to make certain I am doing it right!

i second this!

Original post by emilyisapanda
Does anyone know if there is a thread for the Unit 2 exam on 9th June?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would like to know that too. judging from past observations, these threads only appear 2 weeks before the exams and you will see a flutter of activity. but by then it would be too late. we should start early. however this falls on deaf ears. take a look at this thread for example. it's not going anywhere. we need to make this thread alive. let's do this!
Reply 61
Original post by Audrey18
i second this!

i would like to know that too. judging from past observations, these threads only appear 2 weeks before the exams and you will see a flutter of activity. but by then it would be too late. we should start early. however this falls on deaf ears. take a look at this thread for example. it's not going anywhere. we need to make this thread alive. let's do this!

Hahaha I agree
I want all my notes done by April so have two months to do past papers and learn everything
What topics are you learning?
I'm doing democracy, elections and pressure groups for unit 1. Unit 2 I will miss out the judiciary I think
Original post by xxvine
Hahaha I agree
I want all my notes done by April so have two months to do past papers and learn everything
What topics are you learning?
I'm doing democracy, elections and pressure groups for unit 1. Unit 2 I will miss out the judiciary I think

Hi. you've asked me this several times in the past. once again, I shall give you the same answer. I am doing the same topics as you for Unit 1 and 2. For Unit 3 and 4, I'll be doing the American options.

Let's get the balls rolling. Why don't you share with us your understanding of Democracy and perhaps areas which you don't quite understand for Unit 1.1? Don't be shy. It's better to clarify things now then go into the exam hall and perform disastrously there. Yes?
Reply 63
Hi. you've asked me this several times in the past. once again, I shall give you the same answer. I am doing the same topics as you for Unit 1 and 2. For Unit 3 and 4, I'll be doing the American options.

Let's get the balls rolling. Why don't you share with us your understanding of Democracy and perhaps areas which you don't quite understand for Unit 1.1? Don't be shy. It's better to clarify things now then go into the exam hall and perform disastrously there. Yes?

my bad i didn't read up
got you confused with another poster!
Original post by xxvine
my bad i didn't read up
got you confused with another poster!

Sure. no prob.

Let's get the balls rolling. Why don't you share with us your understanding of Democracy and perhaps areas which you don't quite understand for Unit 1.1? Don't be shy. It's better to clarify things now then go into the exam hall than to perform disastrously there. Yes?
Reply 65
Sure. no prob.

Let's get the balls rolling. Why don't you share with us your understanding of Democracy and perhaps areas which you don't quite understand for Unit 1.1? Don't be shy. It's better to clarify things now then go into the exam hall than to perform disastrously there. Yes?

I find democracy okay
My notes are quiet deep but can somebody help me with a 5 mark definition of democracy
Original post by xxvine
I find democracy okay
My notes are quiet deep but can somebody help me with a 5 mark definition of democracy

Okay, I'll try and help you out!

Democracy is a system of the people, by the people, for the people. The principle of democracy comes from the words demos kratos, from athenian democracy meaning people power. It is linked to legitimacy and authority and in a democracy, people have the right to vote, individual rights are protected and majority rule. There are different forms of democracy including direct democracy e.g a referendum but this is less common as is expensive, or representative democracy which is based on the principle that MPS are elected to voice views in a constituency area.
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay, I'll try and help you out!

Democracy is a system of the people, by the people, for the people. The principle of democracy comes from the words demos kratos, from athenian democracy meaning people power. It is linked to legitimacy and authority and in a democracy, people have the right to vote, individual rights are protected and majority rule. There are different forms of democracy including direct democracy e.g a referendum but this is less common as is expensive, or representative democracy which is based on the principle that MPS are elected to voice views in a constituency area.

hi thanks for joining in the conversation. can you tell us more about you, what subjects you're doing with which exam boards? have you done govt and politics at AS level? what grades did you get? are your teachers any good?
hi thanks for joining in the conversation. can you tell us more about you, what subjects you're doing with which exam boards? have you done govt and politics at AS level? what grades did you get? are your teachers any good?

Hi! I'm doing Gov and Politics (Edexcel), Geography (Edexcel) and Textiles (AQA). I'm studying AS Levels and have modular exams this year for Gov and Politics and Geography! My teachers are alright, just wished they marked things quicker haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i second this!

Are you planning on making a thread for the Unit 2 Exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry a bit late to the party! I'm taking this exam and have absolutely hit a wall with revising. My lecturer has only just started Unit 2 so that'll be a mad rush, and I'm so confused what the mark scheme wants from me with Unit 1 :s-smilie:
This was supposed to be my easy subject :colondollar:
Reply 71
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Sorry a bit late to the party! I'm taking this exam and have absolutely hit a wall with revising. My lecturer has only just started Unit 2 so that'll be a mad rush, and I'm so confused what the mark scheme wants from me with Unit 1 :s-smilie:

lol my teacher started Unit 2 beginning of February and now we're almost half way through it :/ talk about rush
what do you mean ''what the mark scheme wants from me'' ? lol

@xxvine Hey :smile: whats up ? long time no see haha

Btw for Unit 1 im doing Democracy&participation and Pressure groups with a bit political parties :smile:
and for unit 2 all of them but not much pressure on judiciary haha :smile: if you need any notes on unit 1 , pm i got some :smile:

. The principle of democracy comes from the words demos kratos, from athenian democracy meaning people power.

You need to work on how you structure your sentences man, this is confusing. The words 'demos kratos' do not come from 'athenian democracy', they are just Greek words. Maybe it's a silly thing to pick on, but it just does't make much sense.
Original post by DeafeningSilence

Luckily enough, unit 1 is generally much easier, especially since you can focus on two topics (or three if you want to be safe). I would recommend doing democracy and pressure groups, they are the easiest in my opinion, and then for the third electoral systems. For Edexcel, political parties are long, tedious and not worth it I'd say.

Do you have a textbook?
Original post by popcornjpg
Luckily enough, unit 1 is generally much easier, especially since you can focus on two topics (or three if you want to be safe). I would recommend doing democracy and pressure groups, they are the easiest in my opinion, and then for the third electoral systems. For Edexcel, political parties are long, tedious and not worth it I'd say.

Do you have a textbook?

I'd say doing political parties is worthwhile if you're doing the ideologies route for A2. However luckily I'm doing US politics so I can escape from the most interesting, yet hardest, chapter.
i second this!

Tbh this thread will only take off a day or two before the exam. Considering this isn't a hugely popular subject, I'd say it's doing pretty well at this stage.
Original post by jamestg
I'd say doing political parties is worthwhile if you're doing the ideologies route for A2. However luckily I'm doing US politics so I can escape from the most interesting, yet hardest, chapter.

have you already started studying for US politics? or will you be doing it next year?
Original post by jamestg

Most schools don't do ideologies though, and even if you do, the ideologies bit of that chapter is the easier one and can be learnt separately - the frustrating element of that chapter is learning about all the policies, beliefs etc. of the five or six parties, including New Labour and Thatcherism. It's just a lot of information and feels pointless when the other chapters are so much easier.
Original post by popcornjpg
Most schools don't do ideologies though, and even if you do, the ideologies bit of that chapter is the easier one and can be learnt separately - the frustrating element of that chapter is learning about all the policies, beliefs etc. of the five or six parties, including New Labour and Thatcherism. It's just a lot of information and feels pointless when the other chapters are so much easier.

I was always under the impression most do ideologies because it's seen as easier than US politics. Completely agree with you on how much content is in that chapter, and you can get very easily confused with who believes in what etc. it was interesting, but not revision friendly. Probably will focus on the democracy and election chapters, as well as a bit of pressure groups.
have you already started studying for US politics? or will you be doing it next year?

From September. Very much looking forward too it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending