The Student Room Group

Will top universities accept me for mechanical engineering?

I am doing Maths, Physics, ICT & Applied Business. I am currently in lower sixth. I aim to get 4 As in my ASs. I am worried that my A level choices have prevented me from getting offers at the top universities. I would like to apply to Bath, Bristol, Southampton, Leeds. I could also apply to Queen's University Belfast which is closer to home if I won't get offers from the top. I am not worried about not achieving the grades, I am worried that my subjects disadvantage my application to these universities.

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing wrong with your subjects for the Universities you're applying for. Sometimes further maths is preferred but I applied without it and I was fine
Reply 2
Original post by Lawliettt
There's nothing wrong with your subjects for the Universities you're applying for. Sometimes further maths is preferred but I applied without it and I was fine

Did you get an offer from Bristol or Bath? What A levels did you do?
Original post by NI BOY
Did you get an offer from Bristol or Bath? What A levels did you do?

I got offers from 5 RG Uni's although it didn't include any of the ones you listed. I took Maths and the 3 science subjects at AS.

There's people in my maths class who got offers from Bath and Bristol and I don't think they took further maths.

As long as you have maths and physics you'll be fine assuming you're not applying for Oxbridge. Some Universities don't even require physics. Just check on the University website and they'll list what they prefer.

Your choices are fine
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lawliettt
I got offers from 5 RG Uni's although it didn't include any of the ones you listed. I took Maths and the 3 science subjects at AS.

There's people in my maths class who got offers from Bath and Bristol and I don't think they took further maths.

As long as you have maths and physics you'll be fine assuming you're not applying for Oxbridge. Some Universities don't even require physics. Just check on the University website and they'll list what they prefer.

Your choices are fine

Thank You for getting back to me. Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated
Reply 5
I got 4 A's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at AS. Rejected from Bristol for Mech Eng
Reply 6
Original post by joekan
I got 4 A's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at AS. Rejected from Bristol for Mech Eng

Do you have any reason why? Clearly it wasn't your subject choices
Reply 7
Original post by NI BOY
Do you have any reason why? Clearly it wasn't your subject choices

I actually have no idea haha, I think its because of my GCSE's, 2A*, 6A, 2B. My PS was very polished and had a few admission staff to have a look at it too.
What do you mean it wasn't my subject choices?
Reply 8
Original post by joekan
I actually have no idea haha, I think its because of my GCSE's, 2A*, 6A, 2B. My PS was very polished and had a few admission staff to have a look at it too.
What do you mean it wasn't my subject choices?

I only got 3A*,6A and 2B. Perhaps I'm in danger too. The subjects you chose are ideal for engineering whereas I'm doing 2 essential subjects and 2 not so essential subjects. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Reply 9
Original post by NI BOY
I only got 3A*,6A and 2B. Perhaps I'm in danger too. The subjects you chose are ideal for engineering whereas I'm doing 2 essential subjects and 2 not so essential subjects. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Nice.
I wouldn't worry too much. Maths and Physics are the main subjects to have.
Just look at the entry requirements on Uni websites for Mech Eng, they say which subjects are required.
I did get offers from Southampton and Leeds both A*AA and Unconditional from Nottingham. Still waiting from Imperial.

Just focus on getting the highest grades possible, prioritise on Maths and Physics.
Original post by joekan

unlucky, I also have a friend who got 4A's at AS and got rejected from Bristol. I got AACC at AS and got an offer (for aero though). I think its either Mech is oversubscribed soo much having 4A's isnt really that special anymore (especially for unis like Bristol and Bath) so it will be based on passion for the subject through PS and your experience. Not necessarily work experience, you can get experience by working on your own stuff. I also got 3A's, 5 B's, 2 C's at gcse. OP make sure your PS isnt a POEM, some people have personal statements that sound like something out of shakespeare, dont focus on using complicated sentences and words, be real with them and talk about your passion for the subject through your own research in spare time. yeah also try and get good grades
Reply 11
Please more people reply to this thread. I'm worrying
Reply 12
Original post by NI BOY
Please more people reply to this thread. I'm worrying

There's not much to add. You have Maths and Physics. The other A-Levels are fine. Your GCSEs are fine.

QUB asks for BBB (BEng). MEng is AAB. If you are on target to meet or exceed that you will almost certainly get an offer from QUB.

The other unis will want to see a good Maths performance in your ASs. And FM might have been helpful - but many get offers withut it.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I am now also looking at engineering maths in bristol. Are my a levels ok for this (Maths, Physics, ICT and Applied Business)? I have started revising now and I am confident that I can get at least 3A* and an A(in physics).
Reply 14
Original post by NI BOY
I am now also looking at engineering maths in bristol. Are my a levels ok for this (Maths, Physics, ICT and Applied Business)? I have started revising now and I am confident that I can get at least 3A* and an A(in physics).

What does it say on their entry requirements?
Reply 15
AAA including Mathematics
Reply 16
If I don't get an offer from bristol for mechnical engineering, I'd probably go for engineering mathematics.
Reply 17
Original post by NI BOY
AAA including Mathematics

You've answered your own question. :smile:

(BTW, please quote me when you reply otherwise I might miss your reply...)
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
You've answered your own question. :smile:

(BTW, please quote me when you reply otherwise I might miss your reply...)

Thanks man, so do you think as long as you have met the entry requirements on Uni websites then I can count on an offer?
Reply 19
Original post by NI BOY
Thanks man, so do you think as long as you have met the entry requirements on Uni websites then I can count on an offer?

No. It will depend on your total application and the strength of other applicants. But if you are on target to meet or exceed all the entry requirements then it certainly makes an offer more likely.

Quick Reply

Latest