The Student Room Group

should i take 5 a levels

my potential options for next year are: biology, chemistry, maths, english lit and the 5th is further maths (which is the reason why it's 5)
should I do it?! im having doubts...

Scroll to see replies

you may aswell do 6 and do physics aswell
Original post by hals
my potential options for next year are: biology, chemistry, maths, english lit and the 5th is further maths (which is the reason why it's 5)

I'm thinking of doing 5 too. I think this combination is generally very hard as there is a lot of content for biology and chemistry and English lit requires a lot of wider reading which will take up a lot of time. However, as the 5th subject is further maths and you are already planning to take maths it shouldn't be as bad. Apparently a lot of the content covered in fm is just like maths. :smile:
the subjects will be linear so most will just be doing 3. Unis won't treat you over the others because most schools aren't letting students take 4, so I'd say its pointless unless you really want to study them all because of your extreme passion for them.

Spoiler

This question has been asked multiple times on this forum so I'll summarise before the two types of people who will either say:

- You're gonna fail. You only need to do 3. Why are you taking 5? Are you crazy? Social life?
or
- That's easy bro. A-level's are piss, you should do 6.

A-levels are not by any means easy and if you enjoy the subjects you should do them even if it means you'll be doing more than 3 A-levels. If you can plan your time well and input consistent effort into all of your subjects so that one more subject doesn't drag down all your grades then go for it.
I'm having a similar problem. I want to take Further Maths, but recently I've been wanting to do Biology as well. I'm worried I'll find Maths too easy and potentially boring if I don't take Further, but Biology adds a range of subjects, and although I'm not as good at it, I enjoy it. I'm not planning on doing any other sciences though. My 6th form would let me take 5, but would it be worth it, do you think?
Original post by hals

English doesn't fit in there at all.

It doesn't compliment any of those other subjects.

You can't really go to uni to do English related stuff because you only have science subjects and not another writing subject.

And English contributes nothing towards doing maths/science at uni.

IMO bio, chem, maths, further maths is best (physics also good but I assume you don't like it)
Reply 8
look back on this thread when ur in yr12 pissing ur pants . :smile:
I wouldn't recommend this at all. But, if you feel absolutely sure in your ability that's up to you. :h:
I wouldn't recommend doing five A Levels.

Universities ask for three A Levels and one AS Level at most.

No need to put yourself through extra and unnecessary workload.

Good luck.
Reply 11
no. your just diluting your ability and potential across the subjects because you have more to do.
Reply 12
I am, also, facing that same dilemma. In fact, I was thinking of taking six or seven A-levels because I truly like all of my subjects equally and feel that I have the ability to take so many. I am thinking of doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, History, English Literature and French. If I were to take a seventh, it would be either in Further Mathematics, Physics of Geography.
You could but why not succeed in 3 or 4 instead of recieving average results in 5? I'm studying 3 advanced highers next year and people say to me "you're crazy." :colonhash:
Original post by A*SamB
I am, also, facing that same dilemma. In fact, I was thinking of taking six or seven A-levels because I truly like all of my subjects equally and feel that I have the ability to take so many. I am thinking of doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, History, English Literature and French. If I were to take a seventh, it would be either in Further Mathematics, Physics of Geography.

You need to think about what you want to do in the future. It's all very well enjoying them, but you have to be decisive. Also your school will probably refuse to enter you for 7 AS subjects. The maximum most schools will do is 5.

My advice is to take four AS subjects, and then take 3 A2 and an AS in Y13.
No.
Don't!!!! A levels are much more difficult than GCSEs so just pick 4 at AS. 4 subjects will still be loads of revision so don't worry as they will keep you very busy.
Original post by JenniMusic
I'm having a similar problem. I want to take Further Maths, but recently I've been wanting to do Biology as well. I'm worried I'll find Maths too easy and potentially boring if I don't take Further, but Biology adds a range of subjects, and although I'm not as good at it, I enjoy it. I'm not planning on doing any other sciences though. My 6th form would let me take 5, but would it be worth it, do you think?

If you think Maths A level will be easy, then you're pretty likely to enjoy it! It's not too hard, but a whole different game to GCSE maths. The topics are a lot more interesting, and things become a lot more relevant!

You might love biology, but if you're good at maths, take physics!

Further will spice things up of course; however, can't really comment on it as I'm taking it next year (whole maths A level this year, whole further next).
There is literally no point - it won't give you any sort of advantage when you apply for uni. You may as well have 4 good/great grades instead of 5 average grades. Concentrate on 4 subjects like everyone else.

Original post by A*SamB

I highly doubt you will be allowed to do more than 5 subjects and I would recommend against even that. You need to decide what you want to do and focus on that. What do you want to do after college? Use that to help you make a decision. Some interests you can continue in your own time without needed a qualification, like french, unless you want to do a french degree I guess! Narrow down your subjects to 4. You will never be able or allowed to do 7 subjects and even if you did you would not achieve high grades most likely.
Reply 19
Original post by hals

NO! This is an awful idea, 4 is hard enough!!

Please save yourself 2 years of pain and heartache and do not do this to yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest