The Student Room Group

BBC News: Migrant crisis - UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
We all want a better life, deary. The first duty of any government is to protect its citizens, and our government must protect us and our way of life. The Syrians ' own government has let them down badly, but we can't save everyone, and shouldn't even try, frankly. The inhabitants of these Middle eastern countries should wake up to the fact we are in the twenty-first century, arrange a sensible system of government (not founded on either backward superstition or authoritarianism) and sort themselves out. It is not as if they are short of natural resources or a long-standing civilisation upon which to build.

Are you going to share your technique for preventing the kids become adults? Have you been consulting with My Assad; he seems to be doing the job effectively.

We should help then,not we shall not! You shouldn't just think about yourself,think about fellow humans who are suffering around the world and who are coming and knocking on our door because they need our help.

Your finally paragraph I do not understand a single bit of
Original post by queen-bee
You shouldn't just think about yourself,

Isn't it for me to decide where my help and sympathies should go? There is no doubt that a large influx of people with an alien and misogynistic culture and morals, backward superstitious beliefs, a propensity to persecute some groups and a history of screwing up the country they live in would be severely detrimental to the well-being of the UK.

Your finally paragraph I do not understand a single bit of

Keep on taking the English lesson then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Isn't it for me to decide where my help and sympathies should go?

Keep on taking the English lesson then.

You seem to have no sympathy for any other human but yourself

Why don't you actually take lessons on grammar and structuring sentences properly in future x

Why don't you actually take lessons on grammar and structuring sentences properly in future x

Because I don't need them.
Because I don't need them.

You clearly do Hun
You clearly do Hun

Are you calling me a Hun, an eastern invader, or can you just not spell Honey?
Are you calling me a Hun, an eastern invader, or can you just not spell Honey?

Keep up with the times,Hun
Anyway,what's going to happen once turkey joins the EU?

You say that as though it's a certainty. It isn't.
Original post by Hydeman
You say that as though it's a certainty. It isn't.

50:50 really

Ha! Turkey has about as much chance as Canada of joining the EU in the next fifty years. It is nowhere near convergent to the EU in economic, developmental and cultural terms, and is proving itself to be a rogue state over its dealings with IS and the Kurds.
50:50 really

Given that states can only join with the unanimous consent of all 28 existing member states, I'd say it's more like 99:1. A single 'no' vote is all it takes to deny Turkey membership, and I'd wager that more than one state would do so at least in the short term, given the current crisis and Turkey's collusion with the group that is causing it.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's really shocking how bad this problem has gotten. Even the UN are speaking up about it.
I would have a thought an advanced society such as Europe with competent people at the helm of affairs would have been able to handle this more efficiently. It really shouldn't have gotten to this state.

There have been no advantages whatsoever to letting these people in no questions asked. It's made things worse for real refugees that are truly seeking a safe country, it has increased racial tensions and hatred, it has increased the crime rates of one of the safest places on earth and Europe will definitely be facing a reduction in the tourism industry as no one wants to get raped on holiday.
I wonder who in their right minds thought that any good could come of this. It's pretty much self sabotage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ha! Turkey has about as much chance as Canada of joining the EU in the next fifty years. It is nowhere near convergent to the EU in economic, developmental and cultural terms, and is proving itself to be a rogue state over its dealings with IS and the Kurds.

Turkey is a secular state? Aye,the whole buying oil from ISIS scandal
Turkey is a secular state? Aye,the whole buying oil from ISIS scandal

Turkey is secular state full of Moslems, and with a government that wants to end the secular nature of the state and move towards giving backward superstitious beliefs a role in the state, chuck. This is abhorrent.
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh, do take your ramblings elsewhere. Some of the ex-Soviet bloc members were nowhere near as advanced as Turkey is and were allowed in, because there was a fear that they would fall back into communism.

If Turkey was in the EU, it would be ranked 7th by GDP. In terms of development, it is one of the strongest emerging, if not already developed countries.

In terms of culture, it has a long history and tradition of adopting "Western practices".

Turkey has leverage now, in the form of refugees and it is extorting the EU, to the tune of billions of dollars, to keep them at bay.

Trade agreements, energy pipelines and becoming a hub, and benefits (without corresponding burdens) of EU membership are all going in Turkey's favour, especially more so given the West's eagerness to put pressure on Russia.

I don't think Turkey wants to join the EU anymore. It's focus has shifted from wanting to be a bit part player into a regional superpower.

Original post by Hydeman
Given that states can only join with the unanimous consent of all 28 existing member states, I'd say it's more like 99:1. A single 'no' vote is all it takes to deny Turkey membership, and I'd wager that more than one state would do so at least in the short term, given the current crisis and Turkey's collusion with the group that is causing it.

That would actually be 27:1.
It breaks my heart seeing these children go through all this,women too and innocent men

Maybe you can help. calculate all the dipso able cash you have and give it to help them. I mean it breaks your heart so much, then money you don't need donated should make you better. /s

Maybe we should actually start confronting the problem of Islam in the middle east, instead of pretending that only few Muslims are extreme in view.
Wow, the UN are just racist bigots!
Turkey is secular state full of Moslems, and with a government that wants to end the secular nature of the state and move towards giving backward superstitious beliefs a role in the state, chuck. This is abhorrent.

There's hardly many Turks who actually practice Islam,so you can't use that as an excuse now,turkey will still continue to be a secular state. I have many many Turkish friends,so I would know. Anyway,I haven't heard turkey say much about wanting to join the EU anymore...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawbringer
Maybe you can help. calculate all the dipso able cash you have and give it to help them. I mean it breaks your heart so much, then money you don't need donated should make you better. /s

Maybe we should actually start confronting the problem of Islam in the middle east, instead of pretending that only few Muslims are extreme in view.

I didn't need for you to tell me,I already donate to charity on a yearly basis :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending