The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay

Australia are now the best Test side in the world - but Smith is right. He needs to learn from McCullum on how to lead, and how to make his side likeable.

Heard few grumblings of Aussies' behaviour in this series, what were the flashpoints?
Reply 781
Original post by Aky786UK
Heard few grumblings of Aussies' behaviour in this series, what were the flashpoints?

Hazlewood, Smith and Bird routinely showing dissent to the umpires. Fair enough, some of the calls were farcical, but NZ had plenty of reasons to complain - and McCullum didn't. Because he's a top bloke.

Original post by moment of truth

I get what you mean. The biggest problem has been that they haven't had thaaaat much of an opportunity recently. Yuvraj has just come back into the Indian side and so he will definitely take time to get back into it and I actually think that Dhoni has been a lot more explosive recently. So often, he takes such a long time to settle down and then go big, but recently we have seen him come in and get sixes from the beginning.

I don't have any issues with our bowling attack, surprisingly.

The bowling attack is fine. Workable, and able to get results.

You're bang on the money - again. The pace of Yuvraj and Dhoni's batting is my biggest concern.
Gonna really miss Brendan McCullum. He brought so much to this NZ team and allowed them to be very near the best in the world. His legacy should be his aggressive captaincy and his sportsmanship. NZ have always been the good guys in cricket, haven't they? and he just proved that to be true again. He has such a massive influence, on and off the field, its saddening to think that he won't be on the cricket field again, for NZ.

Wish him a really good retirement :h:

Will be interesting to see how Kane Williamson handles everything now, NZ are going to rely heavily on him, for sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 783
The biggest thing McCullum has done for NZ is catapult the sport of cricket into the same sphere as rugby union.

Everybody in that country wants to be a rugby player, but McCullum has increased the popularity of cricket - and that deserves recognition.

Williamson should look to emulate his set-up. Of course, he'll want to stamp his own mark on the team, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

NZ play the game the right way.
What does everyone think of the ICC proposals for a two tier test structure?

They are proposing a two division test structure 7 in division one and 5 in division two, made up of the three bottom ranked test nations plus two new nations (tbc, but presumably including Ireland). Each division will mandate series against the other division sides over a two year period with relegation and test champions announced at the end of each two year cycle. Additional series (e.g. the Ashes) may also be arranged at the test nations discretion on top of those.

I think it's a good idea - it will get new nations into the game and allow the poorer performing teams (Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and arguably now, Windies) to develop against similar quality sides rather than having one-sided test series after one-side test series.
Wouldn't have done it exactly like that (why 7 and 5 and not 6 and 6?) but broadly I welcome the move. There needs to be a structure where everyone plays each other the same number of times and each result is worth the same number of points. Context is the key word here, every match will mean something to every other nation and that can only be a good thing.

Doubt it'll happen though, it's not in the short-term interests of Eng/Aus/Ind.
Reply 786
Such sad news that Finn has been ruled out of the World Twenty20.
Pakistan don't deserve to get anywhere near the finals of the upcoming World Cup. Atrocious batting. May aswell just pull out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Abysmal stuff! Their top order contributes 35pcent of their runs since the last T20, says it all. Amir only player worth watching. Sharjeel's explosive ton in the PSL a one off it seems, got included on the back of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
Abysmal stuff! Their top order contributes 35pcent of their runs since the last T20, says it all. Amir only player worth watching. Sharjeel's explosive ton in the PSL a one off it seems, got included on the back of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fully agree, it's funny how Hafeez didn't support the inclusion of Amir but he himself is performing much worse. None of the supposed 'experienced' players are worth keeping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Enginerd.
Fully agree, it's funny how Hafeez didn't support the inclusion of Amir but he himself is performing much worse. None of the supposed 'experienced' players are worth keeping.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good time to be an India supporter I guess :wink:
Original post by tazza ma razza
Good time to be an India supporter I guess :wink:

I would but I don't like BCCI :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pakistan throwing the game away as usual! LOL

How can a death bowler give away 2 no balls in the 19th over.
Reply 793
Original post by sachinisgod
Pakistan throwing the game away as usual! LOL

How can a death bowler give away 2 no balls in the 19th over.

Hmmm seems suspicious - should be checked for match fixing...

look at the positive though, there wasn't a run out looool
Reply 795
It saddens me whenever there is a Pakistan collapse or surprising loss that it needs to be investigated, but it's an indictment of the sport in that country. You can never be too careful.
Original post by Mackay
It saddens me whenever there is a Pakistan collapse or surprising loss that it needs to be investigated, but it's an indictment of the sport in that country. You can never be too careful.

Well they do have a long history of match fixing and throwing away games for cash. So you cant rule anything out.
Martin Crowe passes away at the age of 53. I don't actually know that much about him, apart from the fact that he is one of the best NZ players of all time. Extremely sad news.

Rest in Peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
Martin Crowe passes away at the age of 53. I don't actually know that much about him, apart from the fact that he is one of the best NZ players of all time. Extremely sad news.

Rest in Peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes an nz legend great batsmen, and cousin of russel crowe actuaally
Original post by Mackay

thats an over-reaction, their bowlers are the ones that cheat. their batsmen are jsut **** andso weak-ass collapses are part n parcel of pakistan

Quick Reply