The Student Room Group

How to get over a 'ghost face' (bad foundation) scenario?

I tried out a translucent powder to control the oiliness of my skin that was said to be suitable for all skin tones. I am a dark skinned black girl, like Kelly Rowland. In my room lighting the powder would look like my skin tone at first, however it would later oxidise into a 'ghost white' colour, so it made my face look like a ghost. I had no idea for like 6 weeks and no one said anything. I only found out when my parents picked me up on the last day of uni.

Lots of people used to give me really nasty and odd looks or would laugh at me and I didn't understand why at the time. However, even though this was last semester I still cannot get over it. The incident has sent me into a deep depression. I have social anxiety and I'm shy so I hate getting any sort of negative attention, and I have been crying every day no stop. I barely ever leave my room these days.

The nasty looks I got from people keep replaying in my mind and driving me crazy. I'm so angry at myself for not realizing and can't forgive myself. I have had extreme thoughts of ending it because of this. I just really cannot cope, it has made me feel extremely embarrassed and depressed. Please help because I am losing my mind over this, how can I stop feeling so low?
Reply 1
Use transparent instead of translucent or use a powder of your skin tone. Easy. And as for the nasty looks, ignore them. You do you girl. The thing with make up is you get better over time and you find what works best for you, once you get the hang of it you're only gonna look better and better so wear your face with confidence! People will forget about your incident, honestly don't dwell on it. Over time, you'll get over it and look back and laugh at yourself about it :') Don't let this ruin your uni experience x
Original post by Anonymous
I tried out a translucent powder to control the oiliness of my skin that was said to be suitable for all skin tones. I am a dark skinned black girl, like Kelly Rowland. In my room lighting the powder would look like my skin tone at first, however it would later oxidise into a 'ghost white' colour, so it made my face look like a ghost. I had no idea for like 6 weeks and no one said anything. I only found out when my parents picked me up on the last day of uni.

Lots of people used to give me really nasty and odd looks or would laugh at me and I didn't understand why at the time. However, even though this was last semester I still cannot get over it. The incident has sent me into a deep depression. I have social anxiety and I'm shy so I hate getting any sort of negative attention, and I have been crying every day no stop. I barely ever leave my room these days.

The nasty looks I got from people keep replaying in my mind and driving me crazy. I'm so angry at myself for not realizing and can't forgive myself. I have had extreme thoughts of ending it because of this. I just really cannot cope, it has made me feel extremely embarrassed and depressed. Please help because I am losing my mind over this, how can I stop feeling so low?

What makeup brands do you use?.
I would suggest looking for a powder of your skin colour & undertone.Mac has really good powders,pop into the store and have a look.Or you could try a translucent powder & apply it lightly on your face. The other thing is, apply your makeup in natural lighting next to a window, artificial lighting can be deceiving.Try to finish doing your makeup atleast 20-30mins before you set off, that gives time for it to set.
I recommend Mac fix plus spray.It takes away that powdery look off your face, you spray it on your face after applying your powder.

Don't worry about it, it's not a big of deal as you're making it.You learn from these kind of experiences.As the above poster said, make up is one of those things you get better at with time.Experiment & try all sorts of things.

Honestly don't worry about it.It is nothing!.I'm sure every girl has made one makeup mistake at least once in their life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Every one of those people who saw you and/or gave you a funny look will forget this in a very short time - a lot sooner than you will. You must realise that what people care about first is themselves - how they look, how they come across, their own little insecurities. That is what will be taking their focus, not a girl who made a make up mistake. No one is spending their time thinking nasty thoughts of you, most people are far too busy thinking of themselves. You must realise that although you feel everyone is laughing at you, or thinking negatively of you, this is truly not the case.

Forgive yourself really, for being a human being just like everyone else. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has at some point done something which embarrassed them. Even a few days ago, I'm pretty sure I went out with a blob of moisturiser on my face. When I realised, I just shrugged because it doesn't matter. People are incredibly forgetful, even if they noticed. Chances are, they're not thinking about your embarrassing mistake because they're still fretting about their own!

You really must not think of ending it, everything is temporary, so the pain and upset you feel from this is going to pass. And honestly, do you think a bright, intelligent young woman's life deserves to end because she wore the wrong powder? Of course not. Every time you find yourself dwelling on what happened, divert your thoughts. Remember the happiest moment you've had, or a compliment given to you. Or maybe make plans of something nice you want to achieve or experience in your future. Soon the memories will fade and this depression will lift.

Feel free to pm me if you need to talk more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
It's also made me realise all my uni friends are 'fake' bc they didn't say anything
Original post by Anonymous
It's also made me realise all my uni friends are 'fake' bc they didn't say anything

Yep. Lots of people at uni are. It kind of sucks, but it is what it is.

It really isn't a big deal though babe. It's not that difficult of a mistake it make and realistically nobody cares about it like you are. That time you tripped up in front of a friend? Yeah, you remember it, but do they? HELL NO. Because it didn't embarrass them that much.

People judge one another all the time. That's life, but that's nothing to be anxious about - you just have to live it. If people judge you badly then **** 'em. If people judge you well. Hoo-ray. But you shouldn't let people judging you stop you from enjoying all the wonderful things that life has to offer.
This is such a non issue no one is going to remember it after the actual event lol get over it babes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Become Ghostface Killah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I make make up mistakes all the damn time and it isn't until I get home that I notice my foundation had dry patches or I had foundation run onto my lips where I'm always biting them, etc. People don't mention it and when I get home I die internal the thought of everyone seeing me like that. There really is nothing you can do but try to forget it and move on, learn from it and never make that mistake again. I can totally relate to your extreme feelings over this, I would have loved nothing more than the earth to swallow me whole each time this happened to me but in time you'll realise it's the other people in this situation that are the ones who should be embarrassed, not you!
Reply 9
I wouldn't necessarily believe that it proves your friends are fake. I mean, a lot of people are hesitant to bring up uncomfortable issues, and when you kept wearing it, they probably assumed that it was some strange effect you were going for. Don't forget, uni friends are new friends, they don't know you, what you like, what you don't, how you prefer your make-up. Also, I am a little confused that you hadn't noticed before 6 weeks, did it always fade before you had time to check the mirror? The longer you kept wearing it that way, the more they were likely to believe it was intentional.

Unless they actually laughed in your face, you can't assume they're fake, in my opinion. And if they did - well, you're better off without them anyway!
Reply 10
We all have makeup mistakes, please don't worry! I had a foundation that tinted orange as the day went on once and nobody told me, blush too dark/pink, foundation lips, smudged eyeliner. I find the Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Loose Powder to be amazing as keeping oil at bay and they come in numerous shades so if you can afford it then I highly recommend. At the end of the day nobody will hold this against you, make up mistakes are something that everyone goes through.
I walked around uni for months with the wrong colour foundation on. Nobody said anything, not even my family noticed. I only realised one day when I was at my exes house and I immediately ran to the shops to buy the right shade. Then my ex says to me '' I thought you looked a bit darker''. It would have been nice if he had pointed this out much earlier!

It's honestly not the end of the world. People will get over it. I've had my fair share of bad hair/ make up days along with wardrobe malfunctions. In a few years you will look back and laugh.
(edited 4 years ago)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bubblelicious
Some people are still judging me although I've fixed it now, some people in my lectures still give me dirty looks

Ignore them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'd stare back at them until they looked away. Make them uncomfortable instead. They probably would give up. Act like you don't care, and soon they'll believe it and so will you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bubblelicious
Still can't get over it tbh. Argh

Give it time! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest