The Student Room Group

To anyone who does/did French or Spanish as level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n_hundred
I think I'll do really bad in Spanish AS, I just scraped a A at GCSE and at GCSE It was more about remembering them actually being fluent so at as I feel like I'll end up getting D-C even if I put in 1 hour independent study a day-- I'm unsure any advice ?

Nooooo I think you are overthinking it tbh! haha :P tbh if you really enjoy languages and want to study them at A level then go for it! It is hard work, granted, buuuut it's worth it in the end! And you just get better as you go along, I'm retaking my Spanish and French AS written paper - not because I did terribly (got an A in Spanish and a B in French) but just because, after having done another year of language study I am so much more advanced so it just makes sense to re-take to get as many UMS as possible!
Original post by fabsafxo
Hey I was wondering HOW you got such good grades?

I am currently doing AS Spanish, and I am struggling big time. I am doing Edexcel if that helps?
I literally am finding it so difficult, the paper the speaking, everything. I got an A* at GCSE, and know I have to do work at home but I am honestly not sure what to do and how to get an A which I would LOOVE!

Thankyou!

For me it was a lot of independent study, useful vocab phrases to use in the oral and in the written paper, I personally find Edexcel harder (I'm doing French edexcel and Spanish AQA) because of the word count for the essay but really you just need to have a fixed basic structure and phrases that you use in every essay and you just tailor them to suit the topic you are writing about :smile:

For the listening and reading, to improve your comprehension watch films and read thing in spanish everyday! It doesn't really matter what it is - you could read a news article about Justin Bieber in spanish for example, just reading the language will improve your comprehension and any words you don't understand or can't work out from the context look up on Wordreference and make a list! Another thing I would say is Spanish music - it may sound silly but just listening to it, to the words, the accent will improve your listening and comprehension skills! I'm listening to Spanish Reggaeton songs right now!

Hope this helps!
Any more questions feel free to ask! :smile:
Good luck!!!
Hi, I do AS level Spanish right now on the AQA exam board. I am finding it really hard. I got a C at GCSE and currently working at a U as AS. There is a lot more vocab and grammar to learn including some very hard examples. Although, most of the people in my class are doing really well. The exam is very hard to get marks on - you need 55% to get an E!!!! but if you enjoy it I think that you will do well.

Good luck with choosing you A-levels :smile:
Hi. Sorry couldn't help noticing that you take both French and Spanish - so do I. I'm half way through my AS course and just took my mocks. I got a B in both my papers. I take edexcel French and aqa Spanish. I was wondering how you managed to improve on your papers? Was it just practise practise practise and nailing the vocab? I was wondering what boards you took and how you find them?
Hi

I do Spanish AS-Level with the AQA board (2695 specification). I got full marks in all sections at GCSE Spanish with the AQA board (4695) which is amazing as I love Languages; I hope that I'm going to do it at uni. I really love Spanish - and as long as you study independently outside of school - even if its speaking to yourself (giving advice to your family/friends) in Spanish (which might sound really weird) but I do it all the time and it really helps. I then look up words on WordReference if I don't know the translation and then try to use it at least three times either when speaking or writing. I'm currently working at an A at AS Level and yes it is really difficult to grapple, but just perservere, visit Spanish websites regularly (BBC Mundo, EL Pais etc.) and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm here to help if you need it. :smile:
How does one prepare themselves for the aqa french/spanish speaking exam?
For anyone who has specific questions I do A2 Spanish and French both AQA and am predicted A*s in both- happy to help :smile:
Original post by eleanor27
For anyone who has specific questions I do A2 Spanish and French both AQA and am predicted A*s in both- happy to help :smile:

Hi. What's the best way to prepare for a speaking exam in both subjects? 😀
Original post by stripedbox
Hi. What's the best way to prepare for a speaking exam in both subjects? 😀

Hey :smile: looking at your past messages I'm working off the assumption you're doing ASs?
Personally, I did as many practise oral cards as I could get my hands on, writing out my answers to the questions in the timed conditions- I felt this prepared me well as there's only so many questions they can ask really so if you've seen a lot it helps! It also meant I had a large bank of ideas to look over before the exam.
When it comes to your nominated topics, make sure you learn as much vocab as possible and if you prepare answers make sure you can speak spontaneously as well! In my French I more or less just spoke what I had memorised but in spanish the examiner stopped me after a sentence and asked random questions!
A tip for making the learnt bit look less learnt- as silly as it sounds- are things like hand gestures, if you're listing count on your fingers, use fillers like 'clarooo' 'pues' etc.
Other than this I found that just practising speaking spontaneously as much as possible, no matter how random topic conversation, helps confidence loads!
Also know your grammar really strongly and make sure you're comfortable with subjunctives, si phrases etc to ensure the best grade!

Sorry for the essay hope at least some of this helps!
Hey :smile: looking at your past messages I'm working off the assumption you're doing ASs?
Personally, I did as many practise oral cards as I could get my hands on, writing out my answers to the questions in the timed conditions- I felt this prepared me well as there's only so many questions they can ask really so if you've seen a lot it helps! It also meant I had a large bank of ideas to look over before the exam.
When it comes to your nominated topics, make sure you learn as much vocab as possible and if you prepare answers make sure you can speak spontaneously as well! In my French I more or less just spoke what I had memorised but in spanish the examiner stopped me after a sentence and asked random questions!
A tip for making the learnt bit look less learnt- as silly as it sounds- are things like hand gestures, if you're listing count on your fingers, use fillers like 'clarooo' 'pues' etc.
Other than this I found that just practising speaking spontaneously as much as possible, no matter how random topic conversation, helps confidence loads!
Also know your grammar really strongly and make sure you're comfortable with subjunctives, si phrases etc to ensure the best grade!

Sorry for the essay hope at least some of this helps!

This is really great advice. Thank you very much!! I will give all of this a go.
Where are you looking to go onto with your languages? 😀
This is really great advice. Thank you very much!! I will give all of this a go.
Where are you looking to go onto with your languages? 😀

Hopefully going to Durham to do Arabic and Spanish with French! Got an offer now just to get the grades!
Hopefully going to Durham to do Arabic and Spanish with French! Got an offer now just to get the grades!

Well that's fantastic! Well done you!!

courage/suerte :smile:
what are the advantages and disadvantages of the cinema?
Better off at home?
what are the advantages and disadvantages of the cinema?
Better off at home?

which language or both? I have my mind maps from last year AS for both if someone can tell me how to upload pictures I'm happy to share :smile:
which language or both? I have my mind maps from last year AS for both if someone can tell me how to upload pictures I'm happy to share :smile:

Both would be phenomenal! That would be so kind of you! I think you click on the third icon along the bar :smile:
image.jpg
Both would be phenomenal! That would be so kind of you! I think you click on the third icon along the bar :smile:

I have no idea if this has worked or not 😂Done it from my phone... Sorry there's not as much as I remember in Spanish think I have more for French but can't find my folder- am looking for t now 😳 If you can't read it just let me know my writing is so messy!!!
image.jpg

I have no idea if this has worked or not 😂Done it from my phone... Sorry there's not as much as I remember in Spanish think I have more for French but can't find my folder- am looking for t now 😳 If you can't read it just let me know my writing is so messy!!!

Cool, i can read that! That's very nice of you, thanks so much! Ah, don't bother looking for the French, that's absolutely fine. Thank you very much.

Which college??

I'm hopefully going to Durham too to do Spanish and French!

:smile:
Original post by Spanandfrencha
Hi. Sorry couldn't help noticing that you take both French and Spanish - so do I. I'm half way through my AS course and just took my mocks. I got a B in both my papers. I take edexcel French and aqa Spanish. I was wondering how you managed to improve on your papers? Was it just practise practise practise and nailing the vocab? I was wondering what boards you took and how you find them?

I do both for A2 :smile:

Same exam boards as me! You're right, it was really just a lot of practice and revision of vocal and also I made myself flashcards for each sub-topic and I found that helped a lot instead of having to go back through my whole folder as a revision technique, having the concise flashcards was definitely a bonus!

The edexcel board is harder in my opinion, mainly because of the word limit but you've just got to nail the structure of those essay questions and make sure you get in as many things to impress the examiner within that limit. E.g make sure you answer the question, use a subjunctive or two, a si clause, make sure your grammar and punctuation is correct and spelling!

Good luck! If you have anymore questions I am happy to answer them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending