The Student Room Group

How to find constants of quadratic equation given the coordinates.

Screenshot_2016-03-02-18-09-21.jpg

I tried solving this as simultaneous equation but the biggest problem for me is at the point where x=0 which makes the whole equation 0 and then i cannot solve it simultaneously.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jyashi

I tried solving this as simultaneous equation but the biggest problem for me is at the point where x=0 which makes the whole equation 0 and then i cannot solve it simultaneously.

Not sure I understand you? At (0, -1) we have x= 0 and y= -1, so:

1=a(02)+b(0)+c1=0+0+c1=c-1 = a(0^2) + b(0) + c \Rightarrow -1 = 0 + 0 + c \Rightarrow -1 = c
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken

1=a(02)+b(0)+c1=0+0+c1=c-1 = a(0^2) + b(0) + c \Rightarrow -1 = 0 + 0 + c \Rightarrow -1 = c

Hey Zacken. That is exactly correct. According to the question that is what i am getting for (0,-1) so how do we even find the constants?
Reply 3
Original post by Jyashi
Hey Zacken. That is exactly correct. According to the question that is what i am getting for (0,-1) so how do we even find the constants?

So you've found the value for cc, before we move on are you happy with what I've done and you realise what you were doing wrong?
Original post by Zacken

Original post by Jyashi

Original post by Jyashi

Original post by Zacken

I think he forgot to subsitute the -1 for y or perhaps forgot c was there. Remember x is always the first coordinate and y the second coordinate :smile:. All you have to do is subsitute those values in as is done above :smile:

Original post by Jyashi

The constant is c which is the value Zacken worked out to be -1 :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
So you've found the value for cc, before we move on are you happy with what I've done and you realise what you were doing wrong?

Well i had already gone so far before i posted this question. I also got to the point where at the coords (1,9) i got the equation 10= a + b. But after that i hit a wall.
Reply 6
Original post by Jyashi
Well i had already gone so far before i posted this question. I also got to the point where at the coords (1,9) i got the equation 10= a + b. But after that i hit a wall.

Time to use the next bit of information! We know that the derivative at (0, -1) is equal to 8.

So dydx=8\frac{dy}{dx} = 8, that should get you another equation in a and b that you can then use to solve simultaneously with your 10 = a+ b.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Time to use the next bit of information! We know that the derivative at (0, -1) is equal to 8.

So dydx=8\frac{dy}{dx} = 8, that should get you another equation in a and b that you can then use to solve simultaneously with your 10 = a+ b.

Ahhh cant believe i forgot to differentiate.

8= 2ax + b
Since x=0 therefore b =8
World makes sense again...
Reply 8
Original post by Jyashi
Ahhh cant believe i forgot to differentiate.

8= 2ax + b
Since x=0 therefore b =8
World makes sense again...

:hat2:
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken

Thanks Zacken you saved my ass again.
Reply 10
Original post by Jyashi
Thanks Zacken you saved my ass again.

Glad I helped!
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken

Screenshot_2016-03-02-19-13-16.jpg

While we are at the question of calculus do you think you can help with the above question?
Reply 12
Original post by Jyashi
Screenshot_2016-03-02-19-13-16.jpg

While we are at the question of calculus do you think you can help with the above question?

Sure thing. y=x=x1/2y = \sqrt{x} = x^{1/2}, so using the power rule:

dydx=12×x1/21=12×x1/2=12x1/2=12xdydx=12x\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{2} \times x^{1/2 - 1} = \frac{1}{2} \times x^{-1/2} = \frac{1}{2x^{-1/2}} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}

Now try multiplying both sides by 2x2x and making use of the indices rule: xx=x1x1/2=x11/2=x=y\frac{x}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{x^1}{x^{1/2}} = x^{1 - 1/2} = \sqrt{x} = y
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Sure thing. y=x=x1/2y = \sqrt{x} = x^{1/2}, so using the power rule:

dydx=12×x1/21=12×x1/2=12x1/2=12xdydx=12x\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{2} \times x^{1/2 - 1} = \frac{1}{2} \times x^{-1/2} = \frac{1}{2x^{-1/2}} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{2x}

Now try multiplying both sides by 2x2x and making use of the indices rule: xx=x1x1/2=x11/2=x=y\frac{x}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{x^1}{x^{1/2}} = x^{1 - 1/2} = \sqrt{x} = y

I had managed to do till 2 root x after which to get 2x i am assuming you multiplied 2 root x with root x to get 2x.

After that you seem to have done x ÷ y or x÷root x . I dont know how that got formed. Also finally doesnt the question ask to prove 2x times dy÷dx is equal to y ? Or am i misreading the question.
Reply 14
Original post by Jyashi
I had managed to do till 2 root x after which to get 2x i am assuming you multiplied 2 root x with root x to get 2x.

After that you seem to have done x ÷ y or x÷root x . I dont know how that got formed. Also finally doesnt the question ask to prove 2x times dy÷dx is equal to y ? Or am i misreading the question.

Sorry, that was typo in my post, look at it now?
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, that was typo in my post, look at it now?

That's ok i think i had a sudden eurika moment. Check out my version of solution.

Screenshot_2016-03-02-19-53-00.jpg
Reply 16
Original post by Jyashi
That's ok i think i had a sudden eurika moment. Check out my version of solution.

Screenshot_2016-03-02-19-53-00.jpg

That doesn't work, unfortunately! :no: You've only proven it for a specific value of xx, but not for all x>0x > 0 like they want you to!

Look at my post again, which part are you tripping up over? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
That doesn't work, unfortunately! :no: You've only proven it for a specific value of xx, but not for all x>0x > 0 like they want you to!

Look at my post again, which part are you tripping up over? :smile:

Pretty much everything after 1÷2x bit. I dont know how x÷root x came to be exactly. And just multiplying both sides by 2x doesnt make it clear for me. Sorry
Reply 18
Original post by Jyashi
Pretty much everything after 1÷2x bit. I dont know how x÷root x came to be exactly. And just multiplying both sides by 2x doesnt make it clear for me. Sorry

Do you agree that dydx=12x\frac{ dy }{dx} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
Do you agree that dydx=12x\frac{ dy }{dx} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}?

Yes i do.
Lol feel like im getting married.

Quick Reply

Latest