The Student Room Group

C3 Trig - Compound angles proof

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FA1A3849E1FA1C5D!5311&authkey=!ALyFbBZ_hZbV0bE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

I don't get how you get from the second last line to the last line.

Can someone explain?
It's all about cancellation :smile:

Remember that

ab×bc=ac\dfrac{a}{b} \times \dfrac{b}{c} = \dfrac{a}{c}
Reply 2
Not a fan of geometric proofs. Prefer using the fact that 12(eixeix)=sinx \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})=\sin x
and 12(eix+eix)=cosx \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})=\cos x
and then do it algebraically.
Original post by B_9710
Not a fan of geometric proofs. Prefer using the fact that 12(eixeix)=sinx \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})=\sin x
and 12(eix+eix)=cosx \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})=\cos x
and then do it algebraically.

But then your point is invalid because those equations rely on the compound angle formula.
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAndChess
But then your point is invalid because those equations rely on the compound angle formula.

No they don't.
Original post by B_9710
No they don't.

How do you prove that statement then?
Reply 6
How do you prove that statement then?

Complex numbers.
Original post by B_9710
Complex numbers.

I'm amusing you mean though the fact exp(iθ)=cosθ+isinθ\exp(i\theta) = \cos \theta + i\sin \theta
I'm amusing you mean though the fact exp(iθ)=cosθ+isinθ\exp(i\theta) = \cos \theta + i\sin \theta

Depends how you define sin and cos.
I guess if you're speaking from a geometric definition of sin and cos. Which I am then my statement is true. Else then I see why you wouldn't require this.
Reply 10
I guess if you're speaking from a geometric definition of sin and cos. Which I am then my statement is true. Else then I see why you wouldn't require this.

If you use the definitions above and find sinxcosy+cosxsiny \sin x \cos y +\cos x \sin y you will find that by the definition above that this is the same as sin(x+y). \sin(x+y) .
You can find other results similarly.

Yeah if you use the geometric definitions you need to derive the double angle formulae before you can do anything interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest