The Student Room Group

Why do poorer children not get into grammar schools and what can we do to improve it?

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN01398.pdf

I have a debate on this soon and I was hoping to get some ideas from a range of different people in different situations :smile:

Scroll to see replies

becuase they can't afford it mate?
Original post by Shiv is Light
becuase they can't afford it mate?

Grammar schools are not the paid ones, mate.
Don't have access to tutors (due to lack of money) which would give them an advantage etc
Just make all schools good rather than having grammar schools.

Grammar schools are BS because middle class kids have more cultural capital to pass the exams so they exacerbate social inequality.
Original post by 0123456543210
Grammar schools are not the paid ones, mate.

Lol aren't they? Sorry, which one is the paid one?
Original post by Shiv is Light
Lol aren't they? Sorry, which one is the paid one?

Private schools
More grammar schools, lower prices.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Private schools

Don't you feel bad about this thread...? :I
Probably because richer children's parents can afford the students the tuition that will give them a headstart when taking 11 plus exams or whatever other exams there are.

To change this situation, there'd ideally be no instance in which richer children got more help, although this is pretty hard to implement.

Having said that, I don't think it's wholly true that poorer children don't have as much of a chance getting into grammar schools (me being an example :colondollar:), since it ultimately should depend just on how well you do the exams.

Overall, grammar schools are still pretty pointless, since people always find a way to cheat and get in...
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally think this is because, usually children try (or are forced) to follow their parents in terms of education, jobs etc. Wealthy parents are most likely to be well-educated and hard-working ones, if this is how they got their wealth. They are more likely to understand and be involved in educating their children by paying for tutors etc. from a very early age, and as the result that child is in the better position to attend a grammar school. Poorer children, on the other hand, are not just influenced by their parents attitudes towards work and education, but by the society that surrounds them. If they live in an area where they rarely see successful people this doesn't motivates them to get educated, get a good job etc., they only see working class people and only see themselves as such in the future. This demotivates them from pursuing education and therefore, not many of them attend grammars.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Don't you feel bad about this thread...? :I

Bad in what way? Feeling bad about poorer kids not getting in or something else?
Poorer kids live in poorer areas with poorer schools and thus get poorer exam results.

Generally speaking.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Bad in what way? Feeling bad about poorer kids not getting in or something else?

Kinda...sometimes I muck around at ICH, and forget to realise that my place could have been for someone else that goes to somewhere like Forest Academy...
Because their banter is too strong for grammar schools
Kinda...sometimes I muck around at ICH, and forget to realise that my place could have been for someone else that goes to somewhere like Forest Academy...

Lol. I have accidentally hovered over your profile and firstly I thought there was something written in Russian, then I thought they were just randomly put together Russian letters, and only then I realised it was Bulgarian.:biggrin:
Lol. I have accidentally hovered over your profile and firstly I thought there was something written in Russian, then I thought they were just randomly put together Russian letters, and only then I realised it was Bulgarian.:biggrin:

And do you know what it means :lol:
And do you know what it means :lol:

You are goddamn right.
PS: No, I am.
You are goddamn right.
PS: No, I am.

Let's just say we both are!
Reply 19
Sadly poor children have low-earning parents. Low earning parents often have lower levels of educational attainment. As they are not well educated, they are unable to assist their children with schoolwork. So the cycle continues. It's very sad. Health is similar, just a huge cycle of bad influences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending