The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to do 5 a levels?

I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't do it as it will literally mean you have no life or job, and you get homework due in for each subject next day which might be difficult. However, I do know a very clever boy that did 5 a levels and still did well so!
Original post by Hilaera Supola
I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you. :smile:

5 a levels is definitely a bad idea. Even a really smart person would struggle immensely. I did 3 AS levels and I've got 4 offers now. Most unis dont even care about your AS. :smile:
It's unnecessary and I doubt you'd have time to spare and do your own thing, if any. 4 should be the maximum in my opinion. Trust me, the workload gets pretty crazy. Take 4 at the most. Most universities only require 3 subjects so. :h:
Original post by laraloo03
I wouldn't do it as it will literally mean you have no life or job, and you get homework due in for each subject next day which might be difficult. However, I do know a very clever boy that did 5 a levels and still did well so!

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Shiv is Light
5 a levels is definitely a bad idea. Even a really smart person would struggle immensely. I did 3 AS levels and I've got 4 offers now. Most unis dont even care about your AS. :smile:

Thank you so much. :tongue:
Original post by SubZero~
It's unnecessary and I doubt you'd have time to spare and do your own thing, if any. 4 should be the maximum in my opinion. Trust me, the workload gets pretty crazy. Take 4 at the most. Most universities only require 3 subjects so. :h:

I definitely don't recommend 5, and even if I did; not including chemistry. Many of my friends failed chemistry AS level when only doing 4, as it can be very difficult and the jump is quite big. However, it ultimately depends on your performance at GCSE, and how well you think you'd be able to cope. I do A Level English Lit and it takes up a lot of time; and I also did AS Level maths, which had ridiculous amounts of homework and was a complete pain to revise.
Original post by pleasehelpme333
I definitely don't recommend 5, and even if I did; not including chemistry. Many of my friends failed chemistry AS level when only doing 4, as it can be very difficult and the jump is quite big. However, it ultimately depends on your performance at GCSE, and how well you think you'd be able to cope. I do A Level English Lit and it takes up a lot of time; and I also did AS Level maths, which had ridiculous amounts of homework and was a complete pain to revise.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
It depends on your work ethic, ease of grasping new concepts and what's happening in your life outside of school. I started 5 A Levels but I didn't really commit to any of them. It was okay for English and Fine Art as I didn't really have too much to learn but I bombed my sciences (they cover more new ground). Ultimately I dropped Chemistry (was initially my strongest but got a B in AS) and Physics (loved the practicals, won awards but got a D in AS). Kept Biology and got a D, but still had As in the other 2 (before A* was introduced).

I think it is entirely doable to do 5 if you really, really love all of those subjects and know you will put the time in. It becomes a problem if you stop being interested in one or more. Not only does it become likely you could get a poor grade in the ones you don't enjoy but all that wasted time could impact on your ability to do really well in your other subjects.

Have a think about what you want the A Levels for and what matters most- high grades, continuing to study a really broad programme, social life, work...

Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quilverine
Depends on your work ethic, ease of grasping new concepts and what's happening in your life outside of school. I started 5 A Levels but I didn't really commit to any of them. It was okay for English and Fine Art as I didn't really have too learn much but I bombed my sciences. Ultimately I dropped Chemistry (was initially my strongest but got a B in AS) and Physics (loved the practicals, won awards but got a D in AS). Kept Biology and got a D, but still had As in the other 2 (before A* was introduced).

I think it is entirely doable to do 5 if you really, really love all of those subjects and know you will put the time in. It becomes a problem if you stop being interested in one or more. Not only does it become likely you could get a poor grade in the ones you don't enjoy but all that wasted time could impact on your ability to do really well in your other subjects.

Have a think about what you want the A Levels for and what matters most- high grades, continuing to study a really broad programme, social life, work...

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the help and advice. I will definantly keep in mind what matters most. :smile:
I do 5 A levels (Maths, FM, Economics, Physics and CompSci) with only mediocre GCSE results. It certainly doesn't take a genius to do 5, it's just a question of whether you want to do so. I think that it is a bad idea overall, but the situation my school put me in meant I kind of had to, or otherwise 2 term's worth of work would've gone down the drain.
Unless you LOVE all 5 of your subjects, it is not worthwhile.

Btw, I don't have a job or a social life, but I made the decision to do my best in a levels regardless, i.e I would be in the same position even if I did only 3 (I always question friends who complain about their workload, yet spend 10+ hours a week stacking shelves just to fill up their cars).
There's no point. Pick 4 subjects for AS and concentrate on getting good grades for those.
Reply 13
Not if you're confident. I have a friend who is doing Maths (completed), Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry and he's doing pretty well! He needs all his subjects since he's double majoring in Neuroscience and Mathematics
5 AS Levels can be quite common, but usually students choose to drop one at the end of Year 12.

However, most people that do 5 are doing Maths and Further Maths, or perhaps something like Critical Thinking as an extra one. I don't think I would recommend doing 5 as the essay subjects you are doing can require a lot of work, as does learning the theories for the other subjects.

I would think about what careers you may consider, or degrees and see what subjects are required to think of which one you should drop if you do decide to do so.
Original post by HedgehogsRulz
I do 5 A levels (Maths, FM, Economics, Physics and CompSci) with only mediocre GCSE results. It certainly doesn't take a genius to do 5, it's just a question of whether you want to do so. I think that it is a bad idea overall, but the situation my school put me in meant I kind of had to, or otherwise 2 term's worth of work would've gone down the drain.
Unless you LOVE all 5 of your subjects, it is not worthwhile.

Btw, I don't have a job or a social life, but I made the decision to do my best in a levels regardless, i.e I would be in the same position even if I did only 3 (I always question friends who complain about their workload, yet spend 10+ hours a week stacking shelves just to fill up their cars).

Good luck I hope you do well and thanks. You're an inspiration! :smile:
Just do 3 very well. Do a further one if you have natural ability and can cope.
Original post by Jenx301
There's no point. Pick 4 subjects for AS and concentrate on getting good grades for those.

Thanks for the good advice. :smile:
I think if you can't decide you should start off with all 5 and then drop one, I know many people who did that 😊 I'm currently doing 5 AS
English Lit
Math
Philosophy and Ethics
Psychology
Creative Writing

For ME it's okay but your subjects sound much more rigorous so I think you'd find it a lot of work. However don't let anything anyone says put you off. It's all up to you and If you can cope then go for it, but only do all of them if you love the subject because honestly having 5 a levels won't put you at an advantage with any universities because they won't look at all your grades, but judging from what you said your just confused about what you want to do because you like all 5 :P I think you should look carefully at the specifications and ask current students about the workload, look at textbooks and exam questions and try to get a broad understanding of what the subjects are like, if you still feel confused then like I suggested, start off with all 5 but then drop one :smile: my friend did that.

Out of my a levels, Creative writing is the easiest (our college made us choose an extension and creative writing is more legit than general studies etc that's why I chose it)

But excluding the extension course, Maths is the easiest for me because i did IGCSE maths last year. Philosophy and Ethics is the hardest.
Reply 19
5 A levels is a horrible choice. You're going to be around 18, so you need to have some fun. drop that down to 4 A levels and live your life! and its really not fun doing 5, trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest