The Student Room Group

Similar careers and farming work experience

so I want to become a vet when I'm older but I am aware that it's a VERY competitive course, and therefore I want to have a backup plan. What careers are similar to veterinary?

also I am trying to get work experience but I'm finding it difficult to find people in farming, has anyone got any tips on how to get contacts with people in farming?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie.cerys
so I want to become a vet when I'm older but I am aware that it's a VERY competitive course, and therefore I want to have a backup plan. What careers are similar to veterinary?

also I am trying to get work experience but I'm finding it difficult to find people in farming, has anyone got any tips on how to get contacts with people in farming?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's competitive,yes, but not impossible!

It depends on what you're looking for area wise. There is:

Vet nursing - nurses these days do a hell of a lot of practical work, from stitch ups to dentals. And nurses are a vital part of your practice. Without nurses, there would be no vets.

Veterinary physiotherapy/equine physio- you would have to go and do a degree prior to this and do a PhD afterwards. I know a girl on my biovet course did vet physio now and she loves it and has her own business.

Any lab based/research jobs - again something you can do with a biovet degree, you can work in labs, or do a PhD and work in finding solutions for animals for the future

Farming wise - Google can be a massive help. Try googling 'dairy farms in xxxxx' and see what it comes up with. Your best bet with farmers is to turn up, or ring them. Letters/emails tend to get put to one side and forgotten about.

What area are you from?

Lambing experience wise, try the NSA lambing database, farmers often advertise on there for help during lambing time, and it covers all areas

If you don't live in a particularly rural place, ask farms if they could let you stay for the time during your placement, it's always worth asking, farmers are often lovely and are happy to host if you're hard working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, this is really helpful!!😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie.cerys
Thank you so much, this is really helpful!!😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Give me a ring if you need lambing experience, just been let down and need someone for the end of march onwards, north wales. 07775707044 dylan
As for farming experience, if there a local Young Farmer's Club you can join? That's how I got a lot of contacts. Otherwise just google and ring around or pop in if you pass a farm and ask

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending