The Student Room Group

Which Psychology masters would make me more employable?

Poll

Cognitive Neuroscience or Developmental Psychopathology?

I'm struggling to decide between doing a masters degree in Cognitive Neuroscience or in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology. Both hold interest for me. Here's my reasoning:

Developmental Psychopathology was one of my favourite modules in my undergrad degree. I enjoy it and would like to make a career out of it. However, I fear it's so specialized that I may struggle to get PhD funding because of competition/lack of scholarships. It's also something that would confine me somewhat as I am interested in looking outside the UK to do my PhD. For example, Scandinavian countries offer very generous PhD fellowships.

This leads me to my next point... Cognitive Neuroscience seems to be more... transferable? (for want of a better word). It's more scientific and I feel it would open up more opportunities for further study/research. I've seen plenty of PhD fellowships offered within this field and it sometimes can cross over with developmental psychology. Plus, I'd learn programming skills and research skills relevant to other careers...

Developmental Psychopathology was my number one choice for a very long time- it was my original goal upon starting my bachelors. I probably find it slightly more interesting. However, I found this course in Cognitive Neuroscience (I was originally tempted because it's in a really nice city I've always wanted to travel to), and have been kind of won-over by it. But when I think about it, both choices seem equal and I can't decide. I've even considered doing both, one after the other!

Neither course would be my #1 choice for a career either mind you. My real interests lie in physics, philosophy, art, languages, literature, ecology... I made the wrong career decision when I was 18 and so I guess I have to deal with the consequences of that. At any rate, I've always known I'd want to do a PhD and a career in academia. I find learning fun and very fulfilling.

Anyway, which should I choose? Or is there a third option I haven't considered?
If your heart isn't in it, don't do any of those.

Its a very expensive, none of those masters are particularly guaranteed, and those particular fields will put you up against people who live, breathe and sleep the subjects. Academic careers are extremely competitive, have hideous work life balances, and career routes are more like going into acting, rather than becoming a school teacher.

Psychology undergrad lends itself well to some of the other areas, as it is very transdisciplinary. Visit your careers guidance office to talk about it more.
Reply 2
Original post by Lord Asriel
If your heart isn't in it, don't do any of those.

Its a very expensive, none of those masters are particularly guaranteed, and those particular fields will put you up against people who live, breathe and sleep the subjects. Academic careers are extremely competitive, have hideous work life balances, and career routes are more like going into acting, rather than becoming a school teacher.

Psychology undergrad lends itself well to some of the other areas, as it is very transdisciplinary. Visit your careers guidance office to talk about it more.

Thank you for your reply. I've actually applied outside the UK, in Norway and the Netherlands, so tuition fees are free/very cheap. And I've already got an unconditional offer for one. But I completely get what you mean. I've been a psychology graduate for nearly 2 years now and I'm currently working in Sainsburys -_-. Do you think it's worth doing a second degree in something I'm actually interested in? I've seriously considered it but other people seem to think it's a really bad idea and I should stick to Psychology...

Quick Reply

Latest