The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for GCSE and what were your grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
At least they didn't shove compulsory bs subjects down your throats e.g Citzenship. Such a waste of time! Did 13 GCSE's and that was pretty normal in my school..

I'm forced to take Citizenship...waste of time if you ask me...
Original post by prosperousfuture
I'm forced to take Citizenship...waste of time if you ask me...

I agree! How is that going at the moment? Started your controlled assessments?
Original post by NeedsHelpalot
Lol i dont know if this would help but I am also doing my gcses this year. Did my mocks back in january i was scraping cs and get below. But i started revision about a week ago and my grades are flying higher to A's and A stars and Bs
My revision time table is:
Morning before school do an hour of .... and ....
Lunchtime do.....
Afterschool at school do.......
At home do 2-3 subjects of your choice and take at least a full day of rest in the week its worked for me its quick and effective
I study history Maths, Additional science, English language, Re and French

Wow! Thats great to hear tbh. Lets hope what happened for our year 11 mocks DOESN'T happen again
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
I agree! How is that going at the moment? Started your controlled assessments?

We've done around 3 controlled assessments for Citizenship so far...I have no idea how many more we'll have :frown:
We've done around 3 controlled assessments for Citizenship so far...I have no idea how many more we'll have :frown:

Lol there's more coming your way next year. IKR. Ridiculous.
I got a mixture of grades and this is what I found:

To get a grade ...

A*, you go overboard with classwork as well as homework, you find the subject easy and worked as if you were obsessed because you were.A, you do all classwork as well as homework, you find the subject easy and worked quite hard. B, you do focus at times as well as do most homework on time, you find the subject easy and work well.C, you barely do anything in class as well as your homework being only satisfactory and you only do the bare minimum.that is less than a C, you do not even meet minimum requirements such as not revising even a bit for tests, neglect homework, not pay attention, not care and so on.
I got 5A's and 3B's at GCSE which I was happy with! Arguably I could have worked harder but I think everyone says that! In terms of revision, I think it depended alot upon the subject - for me, maths required the most amount of work but I got the grade that I wanted which actually shocked me! I think for some subjects I started revising in January, although mostly in the Easter holidays and then some a couple of weeks before exams started :smile: If you have any questions about GCSEs, A-Levels, just let me know! I'll be happy to help :-)
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

I got 8A*s, 3As and an A^. Spent a couple hours before the exam revising for further maths, bio and chemistry, did an all-nighter for history and the rest I just kinda flicked through the textbook whilst standing outside the exam hall. For me I didn't really need much revision because I found it a lot more helpful to do stuff like concentrate a lot in class, stay behind to ask questions and basically try and really understand everything because once you understand it properly its stuck in your head and you don't have to do much memorising of information.
The earlier the better. Fortunate for you, you've realised now, 3 months from the exam, that you've got problems. Fix them now, you've got the opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

I was somewhat unable to revise easily during Year 11 (medical), but I did revise a day or two before each exam. One exam I was fairly ill for a few days before, so I was not able to revise for, but I got an A in the exam. For my mocks, I got A*-B grades, in my real exams I got A*-A, with 100% UMS in the History exam.

If you're starting to revise now, as you say you are, then you're doing fine. Try not to worry too much :smile:
Original post by malaikaxx
ok but did you learn stuff before easter holiday - like did you do any hardcore revision before easter holidays?

Nope, I didn't do anything before Easter, I started my hardcore revision during Easter. Before that is probably a little bit excessive :tongue:
Nowhere near enough. I started revising during the Easter holidays.
During study leave, I ended up going out more than I did before study leave.
All the revision I did was read through parts of the revision guides for the sciences, a few past papers for maths, and making posters for geog. I didn't bother revising for IT, RE, French, Eng Lit. and Eng Lang.

Ended up with 4A*, 2 A's, and 3 B's.
I'm doing my GCSE's this year, however when I did my Year 10 sciences I would revise 2 hours a day (1 hour splits) I got an A overall, close A*. If you put more work in your lessons and ask teachers for extra help after school, revision sessions can be cut down.
I didn't revise until the morning of any of my exams and I got B's, I was homeschooled though so maybe I was just lazy haha
Reply 54
Put your mock grades behind you....you can easily raise your grades from now but you will have to revise! Ignore the comments which say 'I only read through the night before etc' they are either a genius or more likely lying. My dad is a secondary school teacher and he listens to loads of kids pretending that they are not working or playing revision down. Grades come with hard work, past papers go over and over, understand the mark scheme and ask your teachers. It can be done....I did it and ended up with 11A*s. I am now revising for my A levels :smile:
Had 9A's and a B (studied 10, passed 10)

English i did barely anything because it was my main strength, chemistry and physics I just read and read and read and scrapped an A. It's subject dependant. Generally, spend 2 hours a night revising, minimum, from March onwards. Thanks to that advice from an early age, one of my friends got a First from Warwick and is earning a fantastic wage in London
I'm really lazy so I just focused on the 6 subjects I wanted to do well in. Didn't write a single note or read any books, just did every past paper and got 6A*s in them. And 5 As in the boring subjects. Too many people make the mistake of spending months doing notes, and forget about the past papers, which are the easiest and most effective revision, they help you memorize exactly what you need to and skim offf the ****. Any GCSE students reading: DO THE PAST PAPERS!
A week - 4A*s 5As 1B
Original post by DotDotDot...
I got 8A*s, 3As and an A^. Spent a couple hours before the exam revising for further maths, bio and chemistry, did an all-nighter for history and the rest I just kinda flicked through the textbook whilst standing outside the exam hall. For me I didn't really need much revision because I found it a lot more helpful to do stuff like concentrate a lot in class, stay behind to ask questions and basically try and really understand everything because once you understand it properly its stuck in your head and you don't have to do much memorising of information.

Is it too late to start doing that now?
Original post by Jamie S
A week - 4A*s 5As 1B

Wow! What were your mock grades like?

Quick Reply

Latest