The Student Room Group

French Writing Exam!!!

Hey guys,

So I have a French writing GCSE in week and the topic will be about holidays. We'd have to write about things about a past/ present/ future holiday (obviously using past, present and future tense) with also pluperfect. It's also gotta link and I have to include interesting sentences as well *sigh* Last time I got a C in my writing and have done since like year 10, so can someone help me find things to write about (in English) in order for me to get an A or A*?

Scroll to see replies

Make sure to include some conditional tense in there! You could talk about a past holiday you had, remembering to give opinions (were the facilities and entertainment good?). Then you can move on to talk about the future, if you will return again and where you WOULD like to go w/ conditional tenses. When writing my language controlled assessments I always just use a mix of tenses in each paragraph to show variation and don't forget to use different pronouns to prove you can conjugate :smile:
Just out of curiosity, is your speaking scores high then? Then you could adopt some techniques from those exams that you have done and adapt it to the writing hence making your grades better! How many writing and listening tests do you have?
Reply 3
Original post by emileepawson
Make sure to include some conditional tense in there! You could talk about a past holiday you had, remembering to give opinions (were the facilities and entertainment good?). Then you can move on to talk about the future, if you will return again and where you WOULD like to go w/ conditional tenses. When writing my language controlled assessments I always just use a mix of tenses in each paragraph to show variation and don't forget to use different pronouns to prove you can conjugate :smile:

Thanks very much! :smile: Trouble is though, the reason I'm getting C's is because my tenses are sometimes wrong and my writing is just too basic. How can I kinda self-teach myself to write in the right tense...? If that makes any sense:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Just out of curiosity, is your speaking scores high then? Then you could adopt some techniques from those exams that you have done and adapt it to the writing hence making your grades better! How many writing and listening tests do you have?

Yes, for my last speaking I got a B nearing to an A. My only problem is using more complex techniques and then when I focus on them I tend to mess up on my more simpler attributes like accents and words etc. It's really weird tbh haha. Well we've had 4 if you count the one I'm going to do. This is my last one, and I did two in year 10 and two in year 11 and then my teacher will pick the best two to send off. If I get an A in this it will average out into a B which is fine for me but an A would be nice though haha. Listening and readings we're going to do in May but mockwise, about 4 too.

How about you?
Original post by Jiff
Yes, for my last speaking I got a B nearing to an A. My only problem is using more complex techniques and then when I focus on them I tend to mess up on my more simpler attributes like accents and words etc. It's really weird tbh haha. Well we've had 4 if you count the one I'm going to do. This is my last one, and I did two in year 10 and two in year 11 and then my teacher will pick the best two to send off. If I get an A in this it will average out into a B which is fine for me but an A would be nice though haha. Listening and readings we're going to do in May but mockwise, about 4 too.

How about you?

Yeah I have got my writing on holidays next week too and that is my last CA. My tips would be to brush up on those techniques using a revision guide or a workbook. They explain and provide questions. Then write your piece again and again to memorise! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Yeah I have got my writing on holidays next week too and that is my last CA. My tips would be to brush up on those techniques using a revision guide or a workbook. They explain and provide questions. Then write your piece again and again to memorise! :biggrin:

Oh cool cool same and thankkss! Good luck :biggrin: ! Do you think I'd be able to learn it by next Tuesday? D:
Original post by Jiff
Oh cool cool same and thankkss! Good luck :biggrin: ! Do you think I'd be able to learn it by next Tuesday? D:

A week will be plenty to learn it! Ours is on Tuesday next week
Original post by Jiff
Thanks very much! :smile: Trouble is though, the reason I'm getting C's is because my tenses are sometimes wrong and my writing is just too basic. How can I kinda self-teach myself to write in the right tense...? If that makes any sense:biggrin:

I'm not sure how you could teach yourself, sorry! My teacher gave me all I needed to know about all the tenses. Just looking in a dictionary online or on paper and it should show you the conjugated forms of all tenses so all you have to do is put it in and not teach yourself it. If you're not confident on tenses I would suggest talking to your teacher about it because you need to be able to recognise basic tenses in the exam, especially higher questions. Sorry I'm no help but your teacher should hopefully be more than happy to help you :smile:
I have my speaking tomorrow , and it's too short !! I need a conditional sentence about South Africa, I've talked about going on a safari, what else should I talk about ?
Original post by Zazacooper
I have my speaking tomorrow , and it's too short !! I need a conditional sentence about South Africa, I've talked about going on a safari, what else should I talk about ?

My brother would relax in the sun all day but he doesn't want to burn in the sweltering heat??

We would stay longer at the safari but we're going for a meal in the evening?

Literally anything just stick 'Iwould' or 'He would' in and add a reason!
Reply 11
Thank you much for all the replies guys!! My writing exam is tomorrow and I'm more than terrified. The maximum word limit is 350 and I've done 381
Original post by Jiff
Thank you much for all the replies guys!! My writing exam is tomorrow and I'm more than terrified. The maximum word limit is 350 and I've done 381

How did it go???
Reply 13
How did it go???

It went well!! I remembered almost everything including my A grade sentence and tenses and had a bit of help from the dictionary! Thank you for your techniques, they really helped! Hope I get that A haha :smile:
Reply 14
A week will be plenty to learn it! Ours is on Tuesday next week

How did yours go??
Original post by Jiff
It went well!! I remembered almost everything including my A grade sentence and tenses and had a bit of help from the dictionary! Thank you for your techniques, they really helped! Hope I get that A haha :smile:

Yay you! So glad, now that 60% is secure we can just pray for nice exams
Reply 16
Yay you! So glad, now that 60% is secure we can just pray for nice exams

Indeed we can! Now for my speaking, listening and reading :frown:
Original post by Jiff
Indeed we can! Now for my speaking, listening and reading :frown:

When is ur speaking? Is that ur last one?
Reply 18
When is ur speaking? Is that ur last one?

My speaking is in 2 weeks time and nope, my listening and reading are both in May! How about you?
Original post by Jiff
My speaking is in 2 weeks time and nope, my listening and reading are both in May! How about you?

Finished my French assesments in early November last year and finished all my German in early January this year and my french is in May too i think

Quick Reply

Latest