The Student Room Group

A few simple problems

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by constellarknight
Exactly. Like I said in my previous post, Indeterminate is not making much sense, which is apt given his username.

We all make silly mistakes from time to time. He's deleted his post a few minutes back. Don't harp on about it.
Original post by Zacken
We all make silly mistakes from time to time. He's deleted his post a few minutes back. Don't harp on about it.

Alright whatever.
Original post by constellarknight
Exactly. Like I said in my previous post, Indeterminate is not making much sense, which is apt given his username.

:facepalm:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Indeterminate
Enjoy :biggrin:

1 Problem

2 Problem

3 Problem

4 Problem

5 Problem

oops I screwed my constants up lol, think this one is right now..
Is Q2 something like..

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Problem 3
2(e1e2)\displaystyle 2(e^{-1}-e^{-2})
The function f(x)=x2(e11)ex1\displaystyle f(x) = x - 2(e^{-1}-1)e^{-x} - 1 for x0 \displaystyle x \ge 0, and f(x)=x2ex1+1 \displaystyle f(x) = -x -2e^{-x-1} +1 for x<0 \displaystyle x < 0.

Capture.PNG

This is a really lovely question. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Enjoy :biggrin:

5 Problem

Is question 5 correctly stated? Because I'm not enjoying it too much at the moment.
5 is nice. Currently thinking about 3.
Original post by morgan8002
5 is nice. Currently thinking about 3.

Did you get 3 for problem 5?
I just went looking for a function g(x), I think 1x(x+1)\displaystyle \frac{-1}{x(x+1)} works.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
oops I screwed my constants up lol, think this one is right now..
Is Q2 something like..

Spoiler

Or equivalently...

Spoiler

...but yours is much neater
Original post by EricPiphany
Did you get 3 for problem 5?
I just went looking for a function g(x), I think 1x(x+1)\displaystyle \frac{-1}{x(x+1)} works.

Yeah. I just wrote f(x) = ax^2 + bx + 1, since f(0) = 1, then integrated. You get some logarithmic terms that only go away if b = 3 and since g(x) is rational, b must be 3.
Yeah. I just wrote f(x) = ax^2 + bx + 1, since f(0) = 1, then integrated. You get some logarithmic terms that only go away if b = 3 and since g(x) is rational, b must be 3.

Very well reasoned.

I'm an idiot - I didn't even try to integrate - I assumed that there would be some very slick theoretical approach.
Original post by atsruser
I'm an idiot - I didn't even try to integrate - I assumed that there would be some very slick theoretical approach.

same, by the time i was getting around to integrating i lost motivation, really wished i had stuck with it now
Original post by drandy76
same, by the time i was getting around to integrating i lost motivation, really wished i had stuck with it now

In fact, I'd got as far as writing out the integrals ready to integrate and didn't bother - I went to watch TV instead. I've been led astray by the complexity of Indeterminate's other problems, I think. Still, it's a useful lesson - you need persistence as much as ability to solve problems, and if you don't follow a lead, you'll never know if it was the right one.
Impressed by the response to this thread! :biggrin:

I see that #4 is the only one that remains, so here's a hint

Spoiler

Looks like I'll have to wrap things up :biggrin:

4 Solution

Reply 36
Looks like I'll have to wrap things up :biggrin:

4 Solution

:drool:

Quick Reply

Latest