The Student Room Group

Mathematics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm still in my first year in college studying maths and further maths. I was wondering what type of maths will I be learning in university. So like, if I apply for uni, do I pick only ONE course? And say that course is maths and statistics, will it be just studying one module in maths or all modules or just certain modules that I choose?
Original post by Wiz_The_Bae
I'm still in my first year in college studying maths and further maths. I was wondering what type of maths will I be learning in university. So like, if I apply for uni, do I pick only ONE course? And say that course is maths and statistics, will it be just studying one module in maths or all modules or just certain modules that I choose?

You'll be studying one subject but many different modules. For example, I've applied to maths at Cambz. In my first year, I'll need to take Vector Calculus, Analysis, Groups, Differential equations, probability theory, etc... that are all lectured separately. For almost every university, your module/course choices open in second year where you can pick the modules/courses you're interested in.
Original post by Wiz_The_Bae

There are loads of maths / maths + ... degrees. I'm sure that you can apply to say, Maths at 4 unis and then Maths and Stats in the 5th, though it may be a bit trickier to apply to 2 Maths ones, 2 Maths and Economics, and one Maths and Physics.

If you look at this page
I'm pretty much done, I have an offer from Leeds, Hertfordshire, Coventry, Surrey and Queen Mary. I don't know what to pick!, Leeds matched Queen Mary's offer
Do many people have offers from Bristol for Maths, I applied in November and still haven't heard from them...
Original post by ryanbuckenham
Do many people have offers from Bristol for Maths, I applied in November and still haven't heard from them...

I do:tongue: what are your predicted grades?
Anyone got an offer for St. Andrews second year entry? If so, what was their offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Original post by lolrandom
I'm pretty much done, I have an offer from Leeds, Hertfordshire, Coventry, Surrey and Queen Mary. I don't know what to pick!, Leeds matched Queen Mary's offer

I also have an offer from Surrey. Which one are you planning to firm and insurance?
Original post by Rcnl
I also have an offer from Surrey. Which one are you planning to firm and insurance?

Either Leeds or Queen Mary as my firm and Coventry as my insurance, what about you?
Reply 109
Original post by drandy76
Anyone got an offer for St. Andrews second year entry? If so, what was their offer?

I do. Offer is AAA (including Maths & FM).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any opinions on maths at Southampton vs Nottingham? They are kinda the best places I could apply to considering my stupid decision not to take fm. It seems they are both similar ranking-wise etc so I can't decide which to firm.
Original post by Bekah22
Any opinions on maths at Southampton vs Nottingham? They are kinda the best places I could apply to considering my stupid decision not to take fm. It seems they are both similar ranking-wise etc so I can't decide which to firm.

Come to Southampton with me <3

I know nothing about Nottingham, sorry, but I love the course at Southampton and the fact we get accomodation in our first year as well!
Either Leeds or Queen Mary as my firm and Coventry as my insurance, what about you?

Sorry to butt in but I've took 2 modules taught by the maths department at leeds (though I study theoretical physics) and I can say that it is some of the best teaching I have ever had (unfortunately I can't say the same for the physics department aha )

So even though you wont take those modules (unless youre doing mathematical studies) those lecturers do teach other first year modules for maths (not sure which ones though) and even the teaching and support is anything like what I received then I would totally 100% recommend leeds

and yes I am heavily procrastinating at the moment by reading random threads haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am currently holding an unconditional offer from UCL, Bath and Bristol for Mathematics (as I've already done my A levels!). I am so confused as to which uni to choose! Can anyone help me decide? Which one do you think has the best Maths department? Which one has the best reputation? When getting a job will people think highly of Bath or Bristol or do you think the reputation of UCL compared to Bath and Bristol would trump the performance of the departments?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 114

Edinburgh as my firm and Glasgow as my insurance. Although I'm still waiting for St Andrews to respond.
Reply 115
Original post by alexcapstick97
Hi, I am currently holding an unconditional offer from UCL, Bath and Bristol for Mathematics (as I've already done my A levels!). I am so confused as to which uni to choose! Can anyone help me decide? Which one do you think has the best Maths department? Which one has the best reputation? When getting a job will people think highly of Bath or Bristol or do you think the reputation of UCL compared to Bath and Bristol would trump the performance of the departments?

Thanks in advance!

All I can say is that my best friend had the same unis to choose from and he chose UCL over Bath over Bristol, though he ended up in Bristol due to the entry requirements....
Original post by ryanbuckenham

I haven't heard from them either, they seem to be taking a really long time.
Also, choosing between Bristol or Nottingham as a firm, does anyone have any ideas on which would be better?
Got conditional offer from Nottingham and Cardiff University (along with other) but don't know which to put as my firm?! Nottingham overall, I believe is the better Uni (been on both open days) but cardiff is cheaper and there is family near by! I'm so torn, what factors should i consider more than others?
Got a conditional offer from Nottingham Trent, as I am not a UK student. Anyone else applied there?
If you are gay, black or a working class background you should definitely avoid the university of Edinburgh.

I was publically threatened with hanging at a topology lecture for being gay and having a bigot Christian mother.

They habitually stalk harass and lobotomise people from poorer backgrounds. Lots of gangstalking problems with lunatics in the surrounding companies.

1st BSc Mathematics here. Banned from all independent thought by my local church, which I never attended. No contact with lecturers. Degrading and horrific.

More of a human rights problem there possibly.

Quick Reply