The Student Room Group

Why do poorer children not get into grammar schools and what can we do to improve it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LazyAndSad
This is jokes. Sorry I mean.

I'm quite poor (compared to the people in my school).

I go to Watford Grammar School For Boys.

Basically, I understand that the richer kids do have an advantage, their parents tend to be (usually) smarter, more "parent-friendly" resulting in kids being better.

On the other hand, you get fresh poor parents like mine, who travel across the world or borders to get to the UK. Not much experience. They're great I guess for the fact they want you to do well. Struggle on actually helping their kids out. Like my parents I know want me to do well, but the way they show that is quite difficult and kinda impacts me negatively.

On the whole the point I'm making is, poorer children have less chance of going into grammar schools because their parents ain't as "parenty" as the rich kids. Furthermore, my view will be challenged and probably seen as wrong, and gladly would respond to responses.

This is coming from a not so well off guy.

Good day.

I appreciate your point but I'm not sure as to which points you're disputing.My parents also have very few qualifications and have struggled to help me from a very young age, so I do understand myself that there are exceptions to the statistics in the article.Was the actual research article 'jokes' or just the thread itself?
Original post by AmeliaBaldwin
I appreciate your point but I'm not sure as to which points you're disputing.My parents also have very few qualifications and have struggled to help me from a very young age, so I do understand myself that there are exceptions to the statistics in the article.Was the actual research article 'jokes' or just the thread itself?

Nono, jokes , just that this has been on my mind since I joined a grammar school full of rich smart kids. This article is quite strong and the thread is really good. Please continue and imagine I didn't say anything.
poor areas often have worse schools so those kids will have a worse start to their education
their parents will be less likely to help them with homework etc
their parents may be less likely to value education or prioritise it
parents who do value education may simply not have the understanding of how the application system works as they have no experience of it
those children are less likely to get 'extra' e.g. access to sports, books, music lessons etc
Original post by stefano865
Two reasons.

1. Higher income families can afford to pay for extra tuition to help the kids pass entrance exams and get place etc.

2. Middle-class people often swarm around Grammar school catchment areas. Buying up houses and driving up prices.

Right now many Grammar school pupils are from pretty well off families that decided to save themselves the cost of private school fees.

Most Grammar schools in the UK have gone but those that have remained are mostly populated by middle class kids.

They are not aiding social mobility as much as they should be. A lot clearly needs to change.

*No leftie btw. :tongue:

Just an honest, aware citizen :u:
Original post by doodle_333
poor areas often have worse schools so those kids will have a worse start to their education
their parents will be less likely to help them with homework etc
their parents may be less likely to value education or prioritise it
parents who do value education may simply not have the understanding of how the application system works as they have no experience of it
those children are less likely to get 'extra' e.g. access to sports, books, music lessons etc

I mean obviously. Who can dispute this? :h:
Original post by Gryffindorian
Just an honest, aware citizen :u:

Absolutely. :wink: :biggrin:

Makes me think of people like Nick Clegg and David Cameron. They sent their kids to Grammar schools.

Those places could go to children from poorer backgrounds.

Clegg's wife earns £500,000 a year.

Cameron and his wife are well off.

Obviously they had more than one motive (mainly public image) but I definitely believe Grammar schools shouldn't exist to serve people who are in that sort of financial position.

:wink:
Reply 66
because poor people cant afford the uniform. by brother is going Eaton-even though its private and the blazers are 95 quid, and they have a diiferent set of outfit for each sport : cricket, rugby, football and hokey. the aprons for food tech, textiles adn rm all codt 15 quid. it cost asound 1000 pounds. probz why poorer ppl cant afford ip :redface:
surely there are less poor kds because poor families are more likely to less intelligent? just a hunch

Makes me think of people like Nick Clegg and David Cameron. They sent their kids to Grammar schools.

Those places could go to children from poorer backgrounds.

Clegg's wife earns £500,000 a year.

Cameron and his wife are well off.

Obviously they had more than one motive (mainly public image) but I definitely believe Grammar schools shouldn't exist to serve people who are in that sort of financial position.

:wink:

Of course not! Don't you think everyone getting a great education would strengthen society? What is wrong with these people, right?
Reply 69
@defenestrated

title is me af
Original post by hayato_uk
You don't need to be rich, or even slightly rich to get into a grammar school. If you're naturally smart, you get in. If you are rich, you have a slight advantage, but it doesn't affect the outcome too much. Also, poorer children tend to be less smarter because of their genes. Smart people tend to take high paying occupations, so they will be rich. Stupid people can't and won't get good grades (whether they are in grammar schools or not), so they become poor, and their stupid children grow up in a impoverish atmosphere, giving an illusion that money grants you intelligence.

I just wanted to inform you that you are a colossal imbecile
Original post by zanner
@defenestrated

title is me af

Spoiler

Nick clegg didn't send his 1st child to grammar school( the younger are not 11 yet) but sent them to a catholic comprehensive but it's no better than the situation described above, yet being a different problem.

This article highlights this issue and is rather interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Generally for me, I don't know anyone who went to a grammar school there aren't any in my local area, the one selective 'top' school in my town only offered 11 spots a year for academics. The rest entered on the basis of music tests and religious reasons.
Reply 74
Cos its not in their blood or their genetic makeup. They come from a lineage of warehouse workers, soldiers and firemen and so academia is not a part of their tradition and shouldn't be forced upon them in some social engineering exercise. Its not a part of their culture in the same way I wouldn't expect George Osborne to be in the stands at Elland Road; this divide is normal and natural and the classes should respect each other but from a controlled distance. Single mothers must NEVER be allowed on a uni campus.
Considering the small amount of grammar schools, considering the ever increasing number of pupils, the most well-off will do everything to get in...

Create more grammar schools, solve the problem...
their parents cannot afford tutoring to help them prepare for entrance exams (tutoring often takes place 2 years before entrance)
they do not attend private/fee paying primary schools which help prepare them
their parents are unable to temporarily move into any catchment area
their parents do not know about the grammar school system
they may not have had access to a consistently good primary education

Mostly, it is to do with the economic and cultural capital of parents. Many lower income families, especially those from non white British backgrounds value education highly and so do all they can to get their children into grammars. So it is not just about money. Sometimes, it is about poverty of aspiration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending