The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS English Literature 2016 Exams

Hey Guys.
So I'm currently studying English lit at AS with edexcel for the new spec.
I've just got my mock grades back and I got and E overall, which is horrible and I really want to get atleast a B this year since I'm not continuing English to year 13.

I'm studying The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness for my prose texts
And for poetry and drama - A Streetcar Named Desire(drama) and the Poems of the decade anthology.

I've pinpointed one thing that I feel is my downfall whenever I write my essays and that is deviating from the question and writing about a completely different topic.

Can someone please help????

Thanks for reading xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
As a combined student i doubt i'll be much help but as noones replied so far i'll try my best!

When writing essays i tend to go off topic too and not realise until im half way through. The best thing you can really do is plan your answer before hand(main points) i know in an exam this is quite stressful as youre really concious of the time but i can't recommend anything more. Also make sure to really address the question in the opening and ending of your paragraphs so its really clear what points youre making. One more thing to note is a strong thesis that continuously runs throughout your essay, if you reference this throughout your essay youre bound to link to the question and get all those important marks.

I really hope this was helpful sorry i couldnt reference the texts as i'm not studying them. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by aaminahm
Hey Guys.
So I'm currently studying English lit at AS with edexcel for the new spec.
I've just got my mock grades back and I got and E overall, which is horrible and I really want to get atleast a B this year since I'm not continuing English to year 13.

I'm studying The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness for my prose texts
And for poetry and drama - A Streetcar Named Desire(drama) and the Poems of the decade anthology.

I've pinpointed one thing that I feel is my downfall whenever I write my essays and that is deviating from the question and writing about a completely different topic.

Can someone please help????

Thanks for reading xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AS lit but don't do the same book only streetcar named desire. But just for advice remember the context you need know,edge on the background history of the book and in order to get your AO3 you must do links which can get you an A grade
Reply 3
Original post by RGPunt
As a combined student i doubt i'll be much help but as noones replied so far i'll try my best!

When writing essays i tend to go off topic too and not realise until im half way through. The best thing you can really do is plan your answer before hand(main points) i know in an exam this is quite stressful as youre really concious of the time but i can't recommend anything more. Also make sure to really address the question in the opening and ending of your paragraphs so its really clear what points youre making. One more thing to note is a strong thesis that continuously runs throughout your essay, if you reference this throughout your essay youre bound to link to the question and get all those important marks.

I really hope this was helpful sorry i couldnt reference the texts as i'm not studying them. Good luck!

Thankyou!! I feel like that's the main thing I have to practice to stay on par with the question so it was a very helpful suggestion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Shaziye
I do AS lit but don't do the same book only streetcar named desire. But just for advice remember the context you need know,edge on the background history of the book and in order to get your AO3 you must do links which can get you an A grade

Yup, I was going to write an essay in time conditions and then highlight all the marking points to see what else I need to work on. Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm about to do a mock on the questions you would have done. Can you remember roughly what they were. XD Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending