The Student Room Group

Help with easy tension in string question ?

12784810_1276558085694467_1247135570_n.jpgHi I have a homework sheet on forces and moments and I did all the questions however I'm stuck on this one question. I just don't understand how to apply the maths to these tension in string questions, idk why, so could anyone please help me out, Thank you so much :smile:

The question is the in picture attached, Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
12784810_1276558085694467_1247135570_n.jpgHi I have a homework sheet on forces and moments and I did all the questions however I'm stuck on this one question. I just don't understand how to apply the maths to these tension in string questions, idk why, so could anyone please help me out, Thank you so much :smile:

The question is the in picture attached, Thanks again :smile:

Have you tried anything so far? Resolve vertically upwards and it should be fairly straightforward. :smile:

(If you're unsure, remember that forces have both a horizontal and vertical component)
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Have you tried anything so far? Resolve vertically upwards and it should be fairly straightforward. :smile:

(If you're unsure, remember that forces have both a horizontal and vertical component)

I did not think of using horizontal and vertical forces, I will try it thanks, None of the other questions asked for horizontal or vertical forces and I really hate these string questions they confused me :P but thanks I'll try it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by usycool1

I've tried it but I still have no clue what I'm doing, I don't know how to answer this question all I did was

1.5sin(50) = 1.15

I literally don't know what I'm doing and its also because there are 2 strings, I don't know how to answer this question hellp ? Thanks again
Original post by Cinna21
I've tried it but I still have no clue what I'm doing, I don't know how to answer this question all I did was

1.5sin(50) = 1.15

I literally don't know what I'm doing and its also because there are 2 strings, I don't know how to answer this question hellp ? Thanks again

Hmm, where did you get the 1.5 from in front of the sin50? :smile:

Let me put in the components of the force of the string to see if that helps:

Spoiler

Try resolving vertically upwards :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest