The Student Room Group

Am I wrong in feeling a little sorry for Adam Johnson?

I mean, if she was less than one year older this wouldn't even be a legal issue?
The difference between when the incident happened, and a few months down the line draws the difference between a child too young for sex, and a woman, who to have sex with would be completely legal?

I know there needs to be a legal definition, a line to draw. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
I mean, if she was less than one year older this wouldn't even be a legal issue?
The difference between when the incident happened, and a few months down the line draws the difference between a child too young for sex, and a woman, who to have sex with would be completely legal?

I know there needs to be a legal definition, a line to draw. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.

Yes was just thinking this myself.

If she was 16, we'd have forgotten about it already. Kinda crazy tbh.
Reply 2
That dude got money he's the last person you should be feeling sorry for
I don't feel one bit sorry for him. He knew her age right from the beginning. He asked her when was she turning 16; guess he couldn't wait. How could he jeopardise his career to just attempt to have sex with a 15 year old ? And what makes it worse his girlfriend was heavily pregnant with his child.
Tbf she did just turn 15 it's not as if she was 16 the week after.

I do think it's weird how arbitrarily the age of consent is decided upon, I mean if this was an Italian player in Italy....age of consent is 14, no story bar the age gap being frowned upon. but legally sound.

But it's a slippery slope if you try and judge each act on it's own merits, you do need to draw the line and 16 isn't an unreasonable age to use.

As Musiclover says though, regardless of her age he cheated on his pregnant partner, guys scum, the age just makes it worse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
He knew she was 15, and still targeted her. A 28-year-old very deliberately grooming a 15-year-old. There are no two ways about it.

As for the age of consent, I think that, in terms of maturity, there is a big difference between 15 and 16.
Reply 6
I don't feel sorry for him.

I am astounded by his level of idiocy. Jeopardising his career and cheating on his pregnant girlfriend with someone he knew was under the age of consent.

However, I also don't agree with the idea that he is the 'predator' and she is the 'victim'.

She was after his cash. She wanted to get as close as possible to him.

The law is the law. He is a f*ckwit. But let's not pretend she is an 'innocent, vulnerable' girl.

:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
The law's the law. In the eyes of the law, a 15 year old is a child. If he didn't want people calling him a paedo maybe he shouldn't have tried it on with a 15 year old.

End thread/
Original post by stefano865
I don't feel sorry for him.

I am astounded by his level of idiocy. Jeopardising his career and cheating on his pregnant girlfriend with someone he knew was under the age of consent.

However, I also don't agree with the idea that he is the 'predator' and she is the 'victim'.

She was after his cash. She wanted to get as close as possible to him.

The law is the law. He is a f*ckwit. But let's not pretend she is an 'innocent, vulnerable' girl.

:wink:

How do you know she's not vulnerable. 15 is a very young age, and there clearly was a power imbalance here.
Reply 9
Original post by Argentinababy
How do you know she's not vulnerable. 15 is a very young age, and there clearly was a power imbalance here.

To an extent I agree.

He is more guilty than her but she is not free of responsibly.

She had a plan and had no trouble asking for what she wanted (£££).

Then when she loses control she pulls the plug and walks away. Not completely fair.
Original post by stefano865
To an extent I agree.

He is more guilty than her but she is not free of responsibly.

She had a plan and had no trouble asking for what she wanted (£££).

Then when she loses control she pulls the plug and walks away. Not completely fair.

Yes, but she's an immature 15 year old. They are often stupid, attention seeking, conniving brats (I'm not commenting upon her specifically, just speaking generally). He being an older man should have had a bit more common sense. Again, it's a power imbalance issue.
Original post by joey11223
Tbf she did just turn 15 it's not as if she was 16 the week after.

I do think it's weird how arbitrarily the age of consent is decided upon, I mean if this was an Italian player in Italy....age of consent is 14, no story bar the age gap being frowned upon. but legally sound.

But it's a slippery slope if you try and judge each act on it's own merits, you do need to draw the line and 16 isn't an unreasonable age to use.

As Musiclover says though, regardless of her age he cheated on his pregnant partner, guys scum, the age just makes it worse.

I guess he'll be heading to Serie A if he's still young enough when he gets out of the slammer.
Yes, but she's an immature 15 year old. They are often stupid, attention seeking, conniving brats (I'm not commenting upon her specifically, just speaking generally). He being an older man should have had a bit more common sense. Again, it's a power imbalance issue.

Absolutely.

He deserved what he got. I'm not disputing this.

Ridiculous isn't it? Wrecking his career and family like that.
I've no sympathy whatsoever. He knew she was underage, and he decided to throw everything he had away. Such a privileged position that so many would love to be in, yet all he did was abuse that.
Original post by MrDystopia
I've no sympathy whatsoever. He knew she was underage, and he decided to throw everything he had away. Such a privileged position that so many would love to be in, yet all he did was abuse that.

I quite literally couldn't have said this better myself.
Original post by Twinpeaks

At the end of a day, he groomed a young girl. It's an abuse of power - I'd still see what he did as being wrong, even if she was 'of the legal age'. He saw a girl that was clearly infatuated with his fame and used that to coerce her into sexual acts.
It's wrong, no matter what her age is.
Reply 16
The law's the law. In the eyes of the law, a 15 year old is a child. If he didn't want people calling him a paedo maybe he shouldn't have tried it on with a 15 year old.

End thread/

Pedophilia is the attraction to pre-pubescent children. 15 is not pre-pubescent. Like I say, you can be as sexually mature at 17 as another may be at 15. I think he was being predatory, but not pedophilic.
I do kinda feel slightly sorry for him too
Reply 18
Yeah I guess the replies are right. I just dislike how the media clings onto the fact that she's a "child". I was watching the BBC news earlier and the presenter kept saying "the child" in every passing sentence. It was predatory of him yes, she was underage yes. But referring to her as a child draws a picture of a 10 year old.
I know plenty of girls who had sex at 15, and looking back at 22 they see absolutely nothing wrong about it, they were ready to have sex, mature enough. This girl had a fair enough level of maturity, it's not as if she was a completely innocent child who didn't know what sex was.

It's just seems strange that sex with a 15 year old equates to jail time, and becoming a registered sex offender, but sex with a girl just turned 16 is perfectly legal.
I see what you mean about the age thing but he's such a slimy guy like he had a baby at home and a wife and he was there messaging a 15 year old? He also walks around super cocky even now it's like huh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending