The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

well done Liverpool tonight !!!
Original post by Zerforax
Should be an entertaining end to the season.

We face our bogey team at the weekend. Maybe I'll give it a miss..

Ah the famous Crystanbul. I fancy you guys to roll Palace over tbh. I don't think they've won a single league game in the last 2 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Ah the famous Crystanbul. I fancy you guys to roll Palace over tbh. I don't think they've won a single league game in the last 2 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't you know? Liverpool is the perfect spring board for struggling teams to get back into form...
We're also away to Palace, will be tough, they're one of our bogey team.

Klopp has won both games v City, both by 3 goals. And in the league cup final we made it all the way to penalty shootout. Not bad.
Original post by samir12
Didn't you know? Liverpool is the perfect spring board for struggling teams to get back into form...

Surely not though? Moral boosting win over City (not just winning but thumping them) should surely give some momentum. Palace just seem awful, at worst I think Liverpool will get a draw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely not though? Moral boosting win over City (not just winning but thumping them) should surely give some momentum. Palace just seem awful, at worst I think Liverpool will get a draw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll take a draw at Palace, absolutely hate playing against them, Bolasie and Zaha always tear us to shreds.
Oh **** and just realised you lot will only potentially be 4 points off 4th (considering you win your game in hand and City lose their game in hand). Race for top 4 is heating up and only really takes 2/3 weeks for the table to take another twist and turn. Great entertaining and unpredictable season so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not even thinking about top 4 at the moment; with United winning (the most typical United win possible...) we're too far back and there's too much competition, especially now that Chelsea are getting back in to it.
A EL place is what I have my eye on; we really need to be finishing 6th at the very lowest. We'll see how things are in 5 games though.

As for tonight, we outclassed City in every single position. Lovren and Toure were rock solid and completely untroubled. City didn't even have a proper chance so there was no option for Mignolet to make a mistake either!

Flanagan was absolutely exceptional and certainly exceeded expectation. He isn't afraid to go in for the tackle and the consequence is that crosses don't come in too often from his side. Yeah he might be rash and could get skinned but he normally only goes for a tackle when he knows there's a teammate behind him for cover.

Can played his best game in a Liverpool shirt. A constant physical presence that rendered Silva useless. He was all over the field covering for defenders or muscling out City players. He was completely dominant in the air and everything we needed from a holding player.

People will talk about how poor City were but it wasn't even that. We were so good that we didn't even let them play. We constantly pressured them and were consistently attacking. They had no opportunity to create an attack or settle in to the game. We were first to every ball and won so much in the air which is odd. We wanted revenge and we got it big time.
Oh **** and just realised you lot will only potentially be 4 points off 4th (considering you win your game in hand and City lose their game in hand). Race for top 4 is heating up and only really takes 2/3 weeks for the table to take another twist and turn. Great entertaining and unpredictable season so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just shows how **** the league has been if United and Liverpool are still within a chance of getting top 4. Doubt City will drop out, starting to fear for Arsenal but even so Wenger will get them atleast 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have a terrible record against them in recent times.

In the last 4 league games (most recent first):

Lost 2-1
Lost 3-1
Lost 3-1
Drew 3-3 (coming back from 3-0 down)
Fantastic team performance.

The changes made were exactly what we needed. We were crying out for fresh blood exactly where Klopp deployed them.

Flanagan was a revelation, and seems to be playing his way into a new deal. That tackle on Sterling in the opening exchanges really set the tone for his evening, and made me so happy to boot.

Sterling was timid and faded, which was good to see, and our defence had such a straightforward night. Kolo Toure was immense I felt, and nobody in the back line put a foot wrong.

Can was superb in the middle of the park - and that's what he's like. Capable of the superb and the ****. We need to bear with him, because he's young but plays so regularly and he's bound to make mistakes as he hones his game.

The two key players were Milner and Lallana. Both took their goals well - though Hart should admittedly save the latter - and I was so pleased with both.

Milner's arrival into the box was well timed and Lampard esque at times, while Lallana proved he can offer something on a big occasion where he has too often gone missing in the past.

Firmino and Origi both worked hard, and the former's goal was a lovely team move.

Our one touch passing and pressing was delightful tonight. What a win.
The question has got to be why couldn't we do this on Sunday?
We had Sturridge and Coutinho on the pitch so the quality was there.

I'm not angry about it, just frustrated that we couldn't get the win when it really mattered in a cup final.
Original post by Lúcio
The question has got to be why couldn't we do this on Sunday?
We had Sturridge and Coutinho on the pitch so the quality was there.

I'm not angry about it, just frustrated that we couldn't get the win when it really mattered in a cup final.

Think Origi and Lallana added some dynamism and freshness to the line up but Lallanas first goal out of nowhere really made life easier for us. City were quite tight at the back in the cup final and played on the counter most of the time especially after Mignolets howler, but today we got the first goal and so that opened the game for us.

Getting that first goal is so crucial.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Think Origi and Lallana added some dynamism and freshness to the line up but Lallanas first goal out of nowhere really made life easier for us.

It was unexpected though.
With respect to Lallana, he isn't the kind of player that I assume will change a game like he did tonight. I don't see him on the bench and think he'll win us a game.

Sturridge was desperately unfit on Sunday and if it wasn't a cup final he would've been taken off at 70 minutes.
Then again, no need to really talk about what could've happened. We lost the final but we won tonight. Let's build on this and finally beat our bogey team!!!
Original post by samir12
Just shows how **** the league has been if United and Liverpool are still within a chance of getting top 4. Doubt City will drop out, starting to fear for Arsenal but even so Wenger will get them atleast 4th.

I mean I wouldn't say ****. Maybe it is but the quality in the league is starting to balance out. New TV deal next season means the mid table clubs can buy even more quality players. West Ham with Payet, Swansea (i know theyre in a relegation battle) with Ayew, Newcastle with Wijnaldum, Stoke with Shaqiri. Ridiculously unpredictable season and that's one of the main reason you've got to love the premier league.

Yeah Arsenal and City probably won't drop out, but it'll be interesting to see how everything pans out in the next month or so.

Original post by Zerforax
We have a terrible record against them in recent times.

In the last 4 league games (most recent first):

Lost 2-1
Lost 3-1
Lost 3-1
Drew 3-3 (coming back from 3-0 down)

Damn didn't know it was that bad. I guess its similar to Arsenal and Swansea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
It was unexpected though.
With respect to Lallana, he isn't the kind of player that I assume will change a game like he did tonight. I don't see him on the bench and think he'll win us a game.

Sturridge was desperately unfit on Sunday and if it wasn't a cup final he would've been taken off at 70 minutes.
Then again, no need to really talk about what could've happened. We lost the final but we won tonight. Let's build on this and finally beat our bogey team!!!

Lallana is frustrating but very useful when the game is open. Against Norwich he made the difference when he came on, at the cup final he also made the difference in ET. He thrives on having space but when faced with several bodies in front him, the guy is ineffective. The main problem is that he doesn't provide any end product consistently enough, Milner despite not being as technically gifted on the ball is ahead of him in that respect.

Todays game changes nothing with regards to our squad, we still need a CM and a winger to stretch compact defences. We seem to only be able to create chances at will if the game is wide open unless we are playing ****.
(edited 8 years ago)

After watching his other interview on MOTD, I conclude he was drunk. :tongue:
Great win today after the disappointment on Sunday. I thought Lallana especially played well - he also played well in the reverse fixture IIRC. Good to see Flanno back and getting tackles in, though he was understandably a little rusty at times.

I think Benteke is a must sell in the Summer. There is no doubt that the guy is talented and he certainly deserves to be playing at a relatively big club, but his style just does not fit us and our midfielders can't seem to create the same chances for him as they do for Sturridge, Firmino, Ings or Origi. The pace of the game quite noticeably slowed down - it almost felt like we knew we'd won so he brought on Benteke.

I don't think we need a massive clear out, just an influx of players. If we can get £35-£40million combined from Benteke and Balotelli that sticks us at a transfer budget of roughly £240million of rumours are to be believed.

If we can pick up Gotze, that would be a massive signing. A quality Centre-Back alongside Matip is a must (I suspect either Sakho or Lovren to leave) as well as a First Team Goalkeeper (my personal preference being Butland, though his price may be inflated due to him being English).

Another left-back may be ideal, though it might be worth giving Brad Smith and Flanno some playing time from now to the end of the season to see how they measure to Moreno who has been poor of late and defensively unstable throughout his time at Liverpool.

Up front, we either take a gamble and hope we have atleast 3 of Sturridge, Ings, Firmino and Origi fit at all times, or try to bring in someone else to bolster options (this should be seen as a low priority).

In Midfield, I am personally content with Henderson, Milner, Can, Lucas, Allen and new lad we signed from Red Star Belgrade (can't spell his name to save my life). Allen will likely be sold and Lucas is linked away in every window, but this should also be seen as low priority.

This started out as a short message but look what's happened :tongue: Anyway, next season I'd like to see a starting XI of:

Butland
Clyne
Skrtel (Would STILL love Hummels to replace Skrtel but trying to be realistic)
Matip
Flanagan
Henderson
Milner
Gotze
Firmino
Coutinho
Sturridge

Bench:
Mignolet
Moreno
Toure/Sakho/Lovren