The Student Room Group

How long did you wait for reference for postgrad

I'm almost a week waiting for my professor to write my reference for my postgrad course. My application will not be considered without the second reference.

Wondering, how long did you wait for your referees to write a reference for you?.
I waited 3-4 weeks for mine, my employer and ex-academic advisor are very busy people though
Expecting a reference within a week from a busy academic is an over expectation on your part.
A few days for me.
Give it 2 weeks and then send a gentle reminder. Academics are busy people.
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
Give it 2 weeks and then send a gentle reminder. Academics are busy people.

One took a few days, another I'm still waiting for... about 4 weeks later. Luckily I received an offer without them so not in too much of a rush but would like to have both this week.
Original post by Steerm
One took a few days, another I'm still waiting for... about 4 weeks later. Luckily I received an offer without them so not in too much of a rush but would like to have both this week.

That's great! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I am in a similar boat! One of my references emailed back the same day, the other... well 7 weeks has gone by and nothing. I have emailed a couple of times and he has said he will do it soon! I have been shortlisted and interviewed so I guess they are not too worried about it just yet.
My parents are both academics at different unis and one of them does this type of thing regularly: they say that two weeks is how long it should take. Academics should really be getting back to you in less than 7 weeks! That's why it's a good idea to approach more people than you need references just in case and don't be afraid to send a gentle reminder after two weeks of if you have unusual circumstances. Some people are just slow...!
2-3 days due to issues with the submission system. As soon as my postgrad uni sent the requests first reference came through at around midnight the same day and the other emailed me informing me that the system wasn't accepting their reference (so took about 2 days to rectify).

I think it's because my undergrad course had very few students and I maintained very close relationships with my referees.
I had given mine quite a few months notice, so when it came to it, they did it the same day.
Reply 11
My 2nd reference has actually been submitted now - better late than never.
Reply 12
By postgraduate course if you mean Masters, then don't worry. Because my application at Imperial was processed without the second reference even though it was a requirement and I am currently attending the course. If they are busy you will need to send them a polite reminder. Nothing wrong in doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending