The Student Room Group

M2 projectiles

Tried this question several times and I keep getting the same-wrong- answers for part a ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456998467.167749.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by drandy76
Tried this question several times and I keep getting the same-wrong- answers for part a ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456998467.167749.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you have so far?

We know that, horizontally: 30=Vtcos2530 = Vt\cos 25^{\circ} and that vertically we have: s=3,u=Vsin25,a=g,t=ts = 3, u = V\sin 25^{\circ}, a=-g, t =t

So: 3=Vtsin25gt22\displaystyle 3 = Vt\sin 25^{\circ} - \frac{gt^2}{2}, you know that t=30Vcos25t = \frac{30}{V\cos 25^{\circ}}

which, after plugging into the equation should let you solve for VV.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What do you have so far?

We know that, horizontally: 30=Vtcos2530 = Vt\cos 25^{\circ} and that vertically we have: s=3,u=Vsin25,a=g,t=ts = 3, u = V\sin 25^{\circ}, a=-g, t =t

So: 3=Vtsin25gt22\displaystyle 3 = Vt\sin 25^{\circ} - \frac{gt^2}{2}, you know that t=30Vcos25t = \frac{30}{V\cos 25^{\circ}}

which, after plugging into the equation should let you solve for VV.

Ive been using Vt= 30/cos(25) and subbing the value given into the y equation to solve for t, and hence V, which i got as 15.6, i also tried using the equation of trajectory and got the same answer:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Ive been using Vt= 30/cos(25) and subbing the value given into the y equation to solve for t, and hence V, which i got as 15.6, i also tried using the equation of trajectory and got the same answer:s-smilie:

Would the answer happen to be something close to 22.1 ish?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Would the answer happen to be something close to 22.1 ish?

yeah thats the answer
Reply 5
yeah thats the answer

Mind posting your working so I can see where you're going wrong?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Mind posting your working so I can see where you're going wrong?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456999545.651741.jpg this is where I'm at ATM
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456999603.654479.jpg and this was my previous attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456999545.651741.jpg this is where I'm at ATM
and this was my previous attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember that your s=ut+s=ut + \cdots has
Unparseable latex formula:

ut = v\sin \25^{\circ} \times \frac{1}{v \cos 25^{\circ}} = \tan 25^{\circ}

, there's no 1v\frac{1}{v} there since the vv's cancel.
Reply 8

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456999603.654479.jpg and this was my previous attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is all correct up till 12gt2=10.98\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = 10.98 then multiply both sides by 2 and divide by gg so t221.969.82.24t^2 \approx \frac{21.96}{9.8} \approx 2.24 whilst you've got 4 for some reason.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Remember that your s=ut+s=ut + \cdots has
Unparseable latex formula:

ut = v\sin \25^{\circ} \times \frac{1}{v \cos 25^{\circ}} = \tan 25^{\circ}

, there's no 1v\frac{1}{v} there since the vv's cancel.

Thanks i finally got it:^_^:, it started to look similar to one of (many) failed working, after looking back i didnt multiply 3 by v^2 initially :doh:
Reply 10
Thanks i finally got it:^_^:, it started to look similar to one of (many) failed working, after looking back i didnt multiply 3 by v^2 initially :doh:

Awesome. See my reply to why your other method with finding t didn't work either. :biggrin:
Reply 11
apparently i decided it was appropriate to divide by 4.9 even after multiplying both sides by 2, Mechanics is preventing from even doing basic math :frown:
Original post by Zacken
Awesome. See my reply to why your other method with finding t didn't work either. :biggrin:
Reply 12
apparently i decided it was appropriate to divide by 4.9 even after multiplying both sides by 2, Mechanics is preventing from even doing basic math :frown:

Happens to all of us, glad it's sorted now. :-)
Reply 13
I saw Zacken doing some Mechanics!!
Reply 14
Original post by TeeEm

Never again. :ninja:
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Never again. :ninja:

you should try more often
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
you should try more often

I agree, I like mechanics, I'm just not very good at it, I'll work on it sometime
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
I agree, I like mechanics, I'm just not very good at it, I'll work on it sometime

less time here ...!
(mind you if you end up at Warwick you will not be doing any .... Just Pure and Stats)
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken

I love how TeeEm keeps insinuating that you're going to Warwick - such great banter :rofl:
Reply 19
Original post by TeeEm

Good games yesterday....

Quick Reply

Latest