The Student Room Group

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

Scroll to see replies

Is master ever used as a term of address for boys? I'm just old enough and come from just enough of a conservative/established middle class background to have been regularly addressed as master when I was younger.

Glad it's died out, it just seems such a servile form of address.
Reply 41
Original post by the bear
magna cum laude

They made a video game about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry:_Magna_Cum_Laude

They made a video game about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry:_Magna_Cum_Laude

The main character, Larry Lovage, is a student at Walnut Log Community College

:toofunny:

i want to play this !!!
Original post by Quantex
Is master ever used as a term of address for boys? I'm just old enough and come from just enough of a conservative/established middle class background to have been regularly addressed as master when I was younger.

It used to be a real class thing in Britain. So for example in Victorian or Edwardian England, there were loads of Masters of this, that and the other - Master of Hounds, Masters in school (eg, a male teacher), Master of Rolls (a sort of top lawyer - still going), etc. These would all be addressed as "master".

The 'master of the house' was the upper middle or upper class man who head of a large household. His male children would be addressed as 'young master' by servants and by tutors and so on.

The 'master/servant' culture in Imperial Britain mirrored the 'master/slave' one that operated in the colonies. Young masters in public schools here were trained and brutalised into their roles as brutalisers of the colonials. The system largely came into being by deliberate and planned acts of government in the 18th century as the empire expanded and the need to serve the profits of the ruling class were more and more important.
Ah, the terrorists and racists from BlackLivesMatter strike again.
Reply 45
Original post by PQ
The job advert, the job description etc would need to include the job title. Unless it's described and advertised as "Master/Mistress" then a job that's titled "Master" isn't something I'd apply to or accept an offer for.

A few Cambridge colleges have just appointed their first female Masters this year:

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/news/new-master-christs
http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0035103-peterhouse-elects-first-female-master-bridget-kendall.html

The title does sound anachronistic these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantex

It is occasionally used in writing. It is useful to mark out a boy when writing business letters e.g about a bank account or benefits claim that would normally be referring to an adult. "Miss" doesn't carry the same connotations when writing to or about a girl.
Original post by jneill
A few Cambridge colleges have just appointed their first female Masters this year:

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/news/new-master-christs
http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0035103-peterhouse-elects-first-female-master-bridget-kendall.html

The title does sound anachronistic these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would a man be appointed Mistress of Girton or would he be the Master of Girton?
Reply 48
Original post by nulli tertius
Would a man be appointed Mistress of Girton or would he be the Master of Girton?

Edit: because I'm an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Perhaps, like the student body, it's a women-only role. Although it does have male Fellows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girton went fully co-ed in 1979 and men are eligible to be head of the college
Reply 50
Girton went fully co-ed in 1979 and men are eligible to be head of the college

Of course (I know that - just seniley slipped my memory banks) - I'm an idiot.
(edited 8 years ago)

I would be OK with "comrade Master" or "comrade Madame".
I wonder if the people arguing for changes in job or position name would also have to have the word master struck in other usages such as degree classification.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.

To be fair, the average lecturer in degrees such as woman's studies, African-American studies and minority dance probably knows less about the world, than the average working class, ethnic minority teenager who actually lives the experiences those privileged tw*ts bleat on about.
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
To be fair, the average lecturer in degrees such as woman's studies, African-American studies and minority dance probably knows less about the world, than the average working class, ethnic minority teenager who actually lives the experiences those privileged tw*ts bleat on about.

Because the kids on here know more than they do? :confused:
Because the kids on here know more than they do? :confused:

TSR is a pisspoor website in terms of post quality I have to say, but professional intellectuals are nowhere near this pinnacle of human intelligence they're made up to be, especially not ones in made up subjects such as this.

inb4 fedora neckbeard comments
TSR is a pisspoor website in terms of post quality I have to say, but professional intellectuals are nowhere near this pinnacle of human intelligence they're made up to be, especially not ones in made up subjects such as this.

inb4 fedora neckbeard comments

Are you American?
There used to be good quality posters on here a few years back. Not sure what happened to them...
Are you American?
There used to be good quality posters on here a few years back. Not sure what happened to them...

Not American
Not American

But you're supporting Bernie? How cute.
Reply 59
Original post by scrotgrot
Careful, don't give them ideas

"Spinster of Science"

SpSc(Hons) It'll happen eventually.To appease the dungaree-wearing feminist campus crackpots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending