The Student Room Group

Is there anything positive about the future direction of England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eternalflames
Que sera sera.
I don't know to be honest.
The 'non-diverse enclaves' are only really found in major cities. I definitely feel there has to be a control on the number of immigrants coming into the country.
There's so many possible outcomes of the future, it's hard to say what it will be like for sure.

why did u remove the post you quote me?

some years ago around 2014 i opened a thread titled "Europe is on a decline" and i got nothing but hate replies and ridiculed....today the same thread wouldnt receive that comments tho...ho ho ho

I honestly think that the decline of european countries is seriously overblown.
Original post by paul514
Yea in Lincolnshire and places like Evesham for the crop picking.

Not in places like Warwick for example

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where I live (which is a market town outside Greater Manchester) all the warehouse picking and packing jobs are full of the Polish.
Original post by Fickschlitten
It is the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine
Original post by HucktheForde
why did u remove the post you quote me?

some years ago around 2014 i opened a thread titled "Europe is on a decline" and i got nothing but hate replies and ridiculed....today the same thread wouldnt receive that comments tho...ho ho ho

I honestly think that the decline of european countries is seriously overblown.

I deleted it because I thought you were pissed off I tagged you.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
y the fok was I tagged?

Let's ask her
@Audrey18 Other than the OP, how did you pick who to tag?
Excellent post though :smile:
I deleted it because I thought you were pissed off I tagged you.

Wasn't pissed. Just could not think of a satisfactory reply yesterday.

Still cant today lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't pissed. Just could not think of a satisfactory reply yesterday.

Still cant today lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, fair enough
You have some good posts on threads about current affairs so I tagged you in :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by paul514
Yes I feel similar but my solution is to move out of the city and into a market town where if you pick well many of those issues are lessened a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like Luton?
Original post by Josb
Like Luton?

Luton is Pakistan now
Original post by Audrey18
@RivalPlayer @offhegoes @Mayhem™ @JailTheBankers @Ravenous @BrianMcEgg @stefano865 @john2054 @Cremated_Spatula @Wingsly @deathgrips @Howard @Josb @ChaoticButterfly

I'm German and a long time lurker on this forum.

Political correctness was what got many, many people on this forum bannedreat country once again.

Thanks for tagging me audrey,

but believe it or not what Margaret Thatcher did for this country (a great introduction of the private markets in to the economy) was not the best thing that could of happened. Not to mention the mass privatisation and killing off of the unions and the national industries, such as the coal mines and the railways. But hey ho, let's all just blame it on the immigrants, and forget the responsibility that we have in fermenting the rise of isis, by the destruction of iraq's stable infrastructure when we attacked it in 2003. But then most of the posters on this forum weren't politically active then, so they won't know the full story i say? Remember the stop the war marches? Without a doubt some of the greatest demonstrations i have ever had the privilege to take part on!
Let's ask her
@Audrey18 Other than the OP, how did you pick who to tag?
Excellent post though :smile:

Hi. I looked through the thread and tagged people who I felt had contributed positively to the cause with excellent posts. Thank you for repping me. It means a lot to know that my thoughts are appreciated.
Original post by Audrey18
Hi. I looked through the thread and tagged people who I felt had contributed positively to the cause with excellent posts. Thank you for repping me. It means a lot to know that my thoughts are appreciated.

You're welcome! :smile:
You put a lot of effort into that post and it was very good, hence worth appreciating xxx
You're welcome! :smile:
You put a lot of effort into that post and it was very good, hence worth appreciating xxx

Thanks. I often speak to Britons. Most of them have no clue about British politics or UK current affairs. Many of them seem lost whenever I try to have a proper discussion with them because as a foreigner I want to illicit their opinions. So this forum is a welcome reprieve. I get to learn loads from others while sharing what very little that I know.
Original post by john2054
Thanks for tagging me audrey,

but believe it or not what Margaret Thatcher did for this country (a great introduction of the private markets in to the economy) was not the best thing that could of happened. Not to mention the mass privatisation and killing off of the unions and the national industries, such as the coal mines and the railways. But hey ho, let's all just blame it on the immigrants, and forget the responsibility that we have in fermenting the rise of isis, by the destruction of iraq's stable infrastructure when we attacked it in 2003. But then most of the posters on this forum weren't politically active then, so they won't know the full story i say? Remember the stop the war marches? Without a doubt some of the greatest demonstrations i have ever had the privilege to take part on!

Thank you for repping me. It means a lot to know that my views are appreciated.

For me, Margaret Thatcher was the best PM of UK. Sir Winston Churchill was a legend too but aren't all war time PMs? Thatcher was very intelligent and she had her pulse on the ground. You need to understand that she understood very early on that a country cannot function well if there are going to be strikes every now and then because it has profound effects on the economy and could possibly dent chances of attracting foreign investment into the UK.

Thatcher realized that which was why she had to stand her ground and let the unions know that the government will never be held to ransom by demonstrators who choose to ignore airing their grievances through proper channels but instead vent their frustration by making traffic come to a standstill.

Thatcher's only 'mistake' was to kill off the trade unions? Let's assume your claim is true. Look at the collective mistakes of Blair, Brown and Cameron. Her 'mistake' pales in comparison to the irreversible damage these trio have inflicted on the UK.

I am German and believe me when I say that I am well-versed with the + & - of Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Cameron. Thatcher was the best and will be for a long long time to come.
Reply 54
The spread of Islam will lead to a reduction in teen single mothers and all the other vicissitudes. People will be so scared of getting literally battered by the law (Sharia by then hopefully) that the crime rate will just plummet.
Original post by Backto95
The spread of Islam will lead to a reduction in teen single mothers and all the other vicissitudes. People will be so scared of getting literally battered by the law (Sharia by then hopefully) that the crime rate will just plummet.

Sounds positively utopian -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fallen_acorns
completely understand this post.

I never really had the same feelings, until I left England... but now, looking back, its hard to rationalize returning.

I currently live in china, which does have its problems, and due to still being a developing country, certainly lacks a lot of the luxury that england has, outside of major city centers.. but, most importantly it ticks off the essential boxes of my life:

Here I can:

- Easily secure stable work, that pays a very decent wage.
- Live a decent quality of life on around 25% of my monthly income.
- Buy a flat (no mortgage) in less then 2-3 years.
- afford a decent car, and to pay for transport.

Compared to my friends back in the UK, life here just makes a lot of sense.

I look back at england and I just see problems, especially for young people:

- Housing that would cost me 5-6x my yearly sallery (in my families area of the UK)
- Ridiculous cost of living, that would reduce my ability to save/have a relaxing financially independent life
- a population thats to busy fighting and arguing then actually getting things done
- Jobs that require a stupid amount of red-tape, lengthy application processes, and in the end are not very secure/reliable.
- A fractured society that does not know what it wants to be, with an increasingly unhappy native population.
(more on that last point spoiled bellow due to length, and lack of relivance)

Spoiler

For me, living away from england feels good.. last year with the terror attacks in france, the crisis in europe, and now the fighting over in/out of the EU - I can watch it from a distance, and be glad im not fully involved.

China has its own problems though, I would never start a family here.. due to the way they treat children, and its to built up/dependent on large cities, for a countryside person like myself.

If you removed my family back in england from the equasion, I would try and settle in probably New Zealand, or Canada.

But all things considered, I could never have my grandchildren away from my family.. so despite all of its problems, I am tied to england, and will return soon enough to make the best out of what ever the future holds for this/my country.

> lives in someone's else country, benefits from it
> criticise the same people you benefit from for doing the same

Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
> lives in someone's else country, benefits from it
> criticise the same people you benefit from for doing the same

Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to have slightly confused my point..

No where have I criticized people for benefiting from working in another country. Rather what I criticized was the lack of integration between groups in the UK. An issue that I put down to a very human urge to spend time with those we feel a familiarity with, rather then blaming either the majority or minority communities.

I am always in favor of immigration, the UK needs it, and it should continue. but I do have many criticisms and worries regarding how we manage immigration.

My criticisms towards the Chinese community in England, could be completely mirrored and applied to a lot of the expat communities in china. I have met a few workers over here who only have western friends, and see the local Chinese as little more then an inconvenience to their lives.

For me, half my family are Chinese, I speak the language, live with my Chinese family, work with Chinese people, go out with my Chinese friends, enjoy all the local customs/traditions with my family. I would never dream of doing differently, because its the exact same thing that I expect of my Chinese family when they come to stay for long periods in England.
Original post by fallen_acorns
You seem to have slightly confused my point..

No where have I criticized people for benefiting from working in another country. Rather what I criticized was the lack of integration between groups in the UK. An issue that I put down to a very human urge to spend time with those we feel a familiarity with, rather then blaming either the majority or minority communities.

I am always in favor of immigration, the UK needs it, and it should continue. but I do have many criticisms and worries regarding how we manage immigration.

My criticisms towards the Chinese community in England, could be completely mirrored and applied to a lot of the expat communities in china. I have met a few workers over here who only have western friends, and see the local Chinese as little more then an inconvenience to their lives.

For me, half my family are Chinese, I speak the language, live with my Chinese family, work with Chinese people, go out with my Chinese friends, enjoy all the local customs/traditions with my family. I would never dream of doing differently, because its the exact same thing that I expect of my Chinese family when they come to stay for long periods in England.

Its not true. The immigration critics completely left Chinese out because they don't feel that they are not integrating. Not true from my experience as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not true. The immigration critics completely left Chinese out because they don't feel that they are not integrating. Not true from my experience as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can appreciate that we have different experiences with the Chinese community in the UK, and Im sure there are some communities in parts of the uk that do integrate very well, as well as those that I have experienced who dont.

I would add though, that I think a large reason that the heavy immigration critics ignore Chinese and most east Asian immigration, is due to its lack of connection to the EU, or Islam, two topics which always invoke scrutiny towards a minority group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending