The Student Room Group

My last job paid in cash...

Hey,
I've been working as a office administrator for the past 11 months covering sickness. I was originally only meant to work for a month and so we agreed cash in hand (It's for a family friends company). However, that one month has turned into eleven and I never really thought about the implications of the fact I was being paid cash in hand until my new employer asked me for my P45 which I do not and cannot get as I was never 'officially employed'. I've told my new employer that I might not be able to get hold of my P45 for 'various reasons' and he has said that we cannot register you onto our payroll and therefore you can't work for us until we have a P45!

Is there anything I can do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure not everywhere does P45s now anyway? I didn't get one from my last employer
Original post by TSRsteven
Hey,
I've been working as a office administrator for the past 11 months covering sickness. I was originally only meant to work for a month and so we agreed cash in hand (It's for a family friends company). However, that one month has turned into eleven and I never really thought about the implications of the fact I was being paid cash in hand until my new employer asked me for my P45 which I do not and cannot get as I was never 'officially employed'. I've told my new employer that I might not be able to get hold of my P45 for 'various reasons' and he has said that we cannot register you onto our payroll and therefore you can't work for us until we have a P45!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is possible, my last 2 jobs put me on payroll without having a P45. You just have to fill out the starter checklist on gov.uk. They can't insist on a P45 as some people won't have had a job before.
Original post by doodle_333
I'm pretty sure not everywhere does P45s now anyway? I didn't get one from my last employer

i haven't had one
Original post by milliemogs
It is possible, my last 2 jobs put me on payroll without having a P45. You just have to fill out the starter checklist on gov.uk. They can't insist on a P45 as some people won't have had a job before.

I agree.
Not everyone will have a p45, for various reasons such as never having had a job before, or like you- you got paid cash in hand. There is a form you can fill out though. I bet you can find it on gov.uk somewhere though. Id print one out and fill it in, then give it to your employer. If push comes to shove and your new employer starts questioning, then just explain about the cash in hand thing.
Reply 5
Original post by TSRsteven
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone who doesn't have a P45, for whatever reason, just has to fill in a P46 form and give to new employer. It's that simple 😎
Original post by milliemogs

btw do you know where you can find a starter checklist? The one on their website doesn't work!
This is not true. Not everyone will have access to a P45 anyway so I'd very much advise you inform your employer of this. :h: Seems like they're being a bit pedantic.
Original post by subject1
btw do you know where you can find a starter checklist? The one on their website doesn't work!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist :h:

Not sure if it is just me, but if you go on it, it just says "Please wait..." in the pdf :frown:
Not sure if it is just me, but if you go on it, it just says "Please wait..." in the pdf :frown:

It's a secure document, so you'll have to open it in the latest version of Adobe Reader :redface: I have a Mac and it doesn't open in Preview but works fine in Adobe Reader. :h:
Original post by iEthan
It's a secure document, so you'll have to open it in the latest version of Adobe Reader :redface: I have a Mac and it doesn't open in Preview but works fine in Adobe Reader. :h:

You are a lifesaver! I spent the whole morning trying to find out what's wrong :P
You are a lifesaver! I spent the whole morning trying to find out what's wrong :P

No worries!! :excited: Glad it worked, PAYE is a pain in the side as it is :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending