The Student Room Group

Girls proposing to men

Just curious if any girls would want to propose to a man, I understand it's tradional for a man to ask but as a society I think girls should be able to as well, I don't see the shame in it. It doesn't make the man less of a man and woman less of woman, still makes you equal in my eyes.

Would any of you girls do it? And guys how would you feel if the girl asked you to marry her?

Scroll to see replies

I personally wouldn't propose to a man because the man has to want marriage enough to spend the rest of his life with me. If I did the proposing I would feel as if he didn't want it as much.

However, I have no problem asking guys out first, even directly
Reply 2
I would do it! As much as a feminist as I want to be I am still guilty of enjoying little traditions like that - I would love for a man to get down on one knee but I'd also be more than happy to pop the question myself! But either way, I don't think it matters who asks as long as you are both consenting and happy with the idea of spending your lives together :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
And guys how would you feel if the girl asked you to marry her?

I'd say no.
Reply 4
i don't see the problem with it tbh, but i think we would need to talk about it first, and if i see any potential with the man, then i would propose.
Reply 5
The exact same thing can be applied vice versa too.
Original post by kprime2
The exact same thing can be applied vice versa too.

But historically men have done the proposing and stand to lose more from a divorce than a woman does so it's his prerogative to initiate marriage. There isn't the same level of risk involved in merely asking someone out
I would do it in the sense that I would ask him to marry me and expect a "Yes!!!!! of course you amazing human being, I would have to be completely insane to say no to such a perfect specimen, thank you for granting me the oppurtunity to live the rest of my life fulfilled and content due to your existence. " :grin:

Spoiler

But I wouldn't get down on one knee :K:
I can't see any logical reason for it to not be acceptable.

I wouldn't ask no, because I'm not fussed about marriage. I'd only get married if my partner wanted to.
I'm gay but if I ever decide I want to marry a guy, I would have no problem proposing to him or him proposing to me, the vast majority of couples talk about and decide on marriage beforehand anyway, a proposal is really just a romantic gesture :smile:
Attachment not found
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I would do it in the sense that I would ask him to marry me and expect a "Yes!!!!! of course you amazing human being, I would have to be completely insane to say no to such a perfect specimen, thank you for granting me the oppurtunity to live the rest of my life fulfilled and content due to your existence. " :grin:

Spoiler

But I wouldn't get down on one knee :K:

You'd get down on two knees like you had been for many nights previous to that event :colonhash:
Well why not? Women are the ones who want it in the first place.

Then again I'd rather the ball be in my court rather than be asked prematurely.
Original post by Blondie987
I'm gay but if I ever decide I want to marry a guy, I would have no problem proposing to him or him proposing to me, the vast majority of couples talk about and decide on marriage beforehand anyway, a proposal is really just a romantic gesture :smile:

Yeah. You'd be pretty crazy, not to mention just downright selfish to arbitrarily propose to someone with no forewarning.
This means nothing, historically black people were slaves, women had no rights etc etc.

How do men stand to lose more from a divorce any more than a woman?

Fair enough, but I'm talking about marriage only. The whole point of feminism is that men and women are equal, I understand that traditionally men propose to women. Traditionally, women cook and clean too. Traditionally, women raise the children too. Now of course I don't condone such traditions, I'm merely pointing out why feminism is only sided. I don't see anything objectively wrong with a woman getting on her knees and proposing to a man? Yet I know even the most militant feminist would be reluctant to do so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
If she asked me I'd say no just because I want to do it

Bet I just gave every woman wanting to propose anxiety :lol: Now I can die happy
Original post by kprime2
This means nothing, historically black people were slaves, women had no rights etc etc.

How do men stand to lose more from a divorce any more than a woman?

Fair enough, but I'm talking about marriage only. The whole point of feminism is that men and women are equal, I understand that traditionally men propose to women. Traditionally, women cook and clean too. Traditionally, women raise the children too. Now of course I don't condone such traditions, I'm merely pointing out why feminism is only sided. I don't see anything objectively wrong with a woman getting on her knees and proposing to a man? Yet I know even the most militant feminist would be reluctant to do so.

Modern courts, if you don't already know, tend to favour women in the vast majority of divorce cases meaning that should a divorce go through (bare in mind the majority of divorce is initiated by women) the man stands to lose his house, most of his possessions, his children, any pets and his job security and standing might even be at risk if the divorce was due to adultery. Woman stand to lose in some cases, but not nearly as much as the man. Therefore it is riskier for men to get married than woman.
That makes no sense. I mean, by that logic surely men should think twice before proposing to a woman? Women should surely be more casual about proposing to men if that is the case.

Just how men are more casual when it comes to sleeping around since they don't bear the risk of pregnancy, so they're more promiscuous. Kids are more careless with spending money since it carries minimal risk for them, it's the parents' money.
Original post by kprime2
That makes no sense. I mean, by that logic surely men should think twice before proposing to a woman? Women should surely be more casual about proposing to men if that is the case.

Just how men are more casual when it comes to sleeping around since they don't bear the risk of pregnancy, so they're more promiscuous. Kids are more careless with spending money since it carries minimal risk for them, it's the parents' money.

Wow.

Typical post-modern response right there.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Wow.

Typical post-modern response right there.

Read the whole interaction above. I was using examples to merely point out the logical flaws in AngryRedhead's points. As I said above, I do not agree that women are obliged to cook or clean for men, or raise up the children. I do in fact believe in equality for both sexes, and part of that is that both men and women should be able to propose to each other without worrying about social stigmas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending